• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So this is why you guys like Artist's Editions!

77 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I thought they were a total waste of time. Prints of OA; pointless I thought since I don't collect prints.

I finally bought one (Joe Kubert / Enemy Ace) and it was wonderful to see clean and large scale reproductions and to read the comics straight from the "OA."

However, I understand some editions are considerably better than others. So, to go along with my slice of Humble Pie, are there are any recommendations for others that people care to throw out there?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but as there are new ones coming out all the time, we can refresh that conversation if nothing else.

thanks, and....... mmmm this humble pie tastes good! :banana:

I was in the same camp as you Bronty; I figured I rather spend that kind of money towards OA, but I got my first AE, the Buscema Silver Surfer, for Christmas and loved it. Just a few days ago I won a Wally Wood vol. 1 off eBay and am eagerly anticipating it's arrival.

Edit: probably will get Best of EC and Kubert Tarzan or Enemy Ace soon. Also looking forward to Millers Daredevil this summer.

Does anyone know the print runs on the AE books? Many seem out of print on IDW's website.

Edited by Hekla

Does anyone know the print runs on the AE books? Many seem out of print on IDW's website.

Reported sales, along with some print run figures:

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/artists-edition-gallery-edition-original-art-archives-index/

I've gotten a ton of these and my top three have remained constant:

Dave Stevens ROCKEETEER

David Mazzucchelli BORN AGAIN

Wally Wood EC Stories

Thanks guys (thumbs u

Stevens, Mazzuchelli, and Wood sound up my alley as well, along with Kubert Tarzan

The Eisner Spirit is great...as are the Kane and Romita ASM's.

I cannot recommend the Stevens Rocketeer enough. It is like holding the originals in your hand with that book.

I really like the look of The Spirit collection by Will Eisner that I picked up. This one is HUGE. It's 15x22.

And the other one I have is Mike Mignola's Hellboy in Hell. Now while it does have the 5 issue recent run it also has a great collection of Hellboy's early appearances, promo material and some short stories in it before Mike changed up his art style.

Also Mark Schultz's work is amazing so if you don't have the Xenozoic Tales collection from Flesk, give the AE edition a shot since it collects the later issues when his style really came to life.

The ones I recommend:

Kubert Tarzan

Best of EC

Buscema Silver Surfer

Wally Wood

There are so many to recommend, the Steranko Shield is the best designed. IDW was the first and the best at doing the original art books. I still feel Red Nails was a poor design and inferior paper, it tried to copy IDW but fell well short.

I have:

Best of EC

Mad (EC)

Wally Wood (EC)

Jack Davis (EC)

Will Eisner Spirit Vol. 1

Steranko SH.I.E.L.D. Vol. 1

Marvel covers

The EC books are my favourites, though I’m also very fond of the Eisner and Steranko books.

Generally not a big fan of post-1960s Marvel superhero stuff (with the exception of Miller on DD), which is why I've avoided the Spidey books.

My personal order:

1) Simonson' Thor.

2) Mazzuchelli's Born Again. The issue break pages in Braille are inspired.

3) Kirby's New Gods. Not everyone's cup of tea, but at the size it is, its incredible.

4) Kubert's Tarzan. My dad was bowled over by this as a gift.