• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

so I have seen some issues have cards. I know now what issues had coupons. What books had cards and are they qualified if the cards aren't in them?

Did Harbinger 1 have card and coupon?

My brain power has increased these past few days. Really made me go back to my childhood years with Valiant.

so I have seen some issues have cards. I know now what issues had coupons. What books had cards and are they qualified if the cards aren't in them?

Did Harbinger 1 have card and coupon?

My brain power has increased these past few days. Really made me go back to my childhood years with Valiant.

Magnus 1–8 and Harbinger 1–6 have cards/coupons which had to be removed and sent in for the 0 issues. There were trading cards bound into books for a month a few years later but you're not going to want to bother slabbing any of those books.

I'm interested in tracking movement in Harbinger 17 or 18 -- whichever one was the first Livewire.

Wizard hyped it back in the day but it was close to the peak of the Valiant print runs, & I think it had a 400k+ print run.

Never thought I'd see the day it might become more than a $.25 book...I'm also pretty sure my lone copy is only about a 9.2 due to my not caring about it like I did Harbinger 0-10.

I'm interested in tracking movement in Harbinger 17 or 18 -- whichever one was the first Livewire.

The new Livewire is an African-American woman named Amanda McKee, who has been in control of the X-O Manowar armor.

In the 1990s, Livewire is a Caucasian woman named Amanda McKee, and she first appeared in Harbinger #15 (1993).

There was ALSO an African-American woman who was in control of the X-O Manowar armor in the 1990s Valiant... Randy Cartier.

It's pretty clear that the new Livewire is a blend of the first Livewire and Randy Cartier.

Randy Cartier first appeared in X-O Manowar #12 (1993)... earlier than Harbinger #15 (1993).

So... the question is... would collectors prefer the two characters' first appearances from the 1990s

or would they prefer the first appearance of the new "blended" Livewire character herself... Harbinger #3 (2012)?

While there are certainly still vast swaths of copies in the hands of retentive collectors ( :hi: ), there were pallets and pallets worth of Valiants from 1993-1994 thrown out in the intervening years.

It will be interesting to see what pans out, if it ever pans out.

While there are certainly still vast swaths of copies in the hands of retentive collectors ( :hi: ), there were pallets and pallets worth of Valiants from 1993-1994 thrown out in the intervening years.

It will be interesting to see what pans out, if it ever pans out.

True. Lots of retentive collectors out there. :hi:

I'm pretty confident that the number of regular issue 1993 books still in existence are enough to keep them from being "in demand" beyond a few dollars apiece.

But that's the question... how many dollars?

If a brand new comic book costs $3.99, and it contains nothing special at all... nothing of significance...

Then what SHOULD be the price for a common 22+ year old comic book with the first appearance of a character that's back in print and possibly part of the plans for movies, merchandise, etc.?

Surely they're worth the same $4 as an unimportant new comic, right? Are they worth $8? $20?

I just don't know.

The new Livewire is an African-American woman named Amanda McKee, who has been in control of the X-O Manowar armor.

In the 1990s, Livewire is a Caucasian woman named Amanda McKee, and she first appeared in Harbinger #15 (1993).

There was ALSO an African-American woman who was in control of the X-O Manowar armor in the 1990s Valiant... Randy Cartier.

It's pretty clear that the new Livewire is a blend of the first Livewire and Randy Cartier.

Randy Cartier first appeared in X-O Manowar #12 (1993)... earlier than Harbinger #15 (1993).

So... the question is... would collectors prefer the two characters' first appearances from the 1990s

or would they prefer the first appearance of the new "blended" Livewire character herself... Harbinger #3 (2012)?

hm two more to add to my list if I can get cheap

All I know is people done lose their minds with movie hype.

If Spawn 9 can spike, I have no doubt that some of those 1993 mega-print Valiants can as well.

Bloodshot 6 is already garnering $15+ on eBay. That's close to what it peaked at back in 1993.

And I (barely) restrained myself from ordering 15 copies of Shadowman 8 at $8 per the other day. Not because I believe in the book (which is the opposite of rare), but because experience shows it will only go higher over the next three years.

Sigh...at least I've got this:

ChaosEffectAlpha.jpg

I cannot even understand why a publisher would want to "restart" a series of characters of which some of the most important are missing (due to the fact they were licensed), so I can’t see how this could or should affect collecting. :shrug:

Wouldn’t have been better if they invented new characters? As much as one loves the Valiant characters, I can’t see why you should "recycle" characters and rewrite them. Strictly speaking, that’s what DC has been doing for some time, and I can’t get into this mentality as well.

I have a limited familiarity with DC characters, and these editorial choices makes me very little interested in reading them, unless one just stops with "Crisis" or the like. I wonder which impact the Secret Wars Marvel is preparing on my collecting choice: surely if they go the same way of DC it will be a pretty much sealed thing for me.

Said this, I liked Defiant better than Valiant (especially Dark Dominion), but Shooter managed to mess up everything with his fixation to "build universes" overnight, a thing I really don’t like. And Broadway… well, I think I have read very little of all the books I purchased. I have sold (almost gifted) my Valiants but the Broadways are still there.

Just scored a Harbinger #1 with coupon for $5.00, and Solar #3 for $6.00!

They are pricing Shadowman #7 (Cameo Darque) and #10 (Darque's Sister, whom was explained is kinda a big deal in the new Valiant Universe and likely a sleeper key right now) for me when I get my new stuff tomorrow.

Someone nabbed Eternal Warrior #4, and Solar #10 1st print, a 2nd was left but a crease on the spine on that black cover just looks bad.

Just scored a Harbinger #1 with coupon for $5.00, and Solar #3 for $6.00!

Rarely has anyone paid more for Solar #3 than they paid for Harbinger #1 from the same seller. lol

But both are a bargain, so it's no problem. :grin:

I cannot even understand why a publisher would want to "restart" a series of characters of which some of the most important are missing (due to the fact they were licensed), so I can’t see how this could or should affect collecting. :shrug:

If you're talking about Gold Key Magnus #1, for example, then it's a simple case of "first appearance" demand.

Gold Key Magnus #1 (1963) is the first appearance of Magnus... who was in Valiant in the 1990s, Dark Horse in 2010, and Dynamite more recently.

Assuming there are fans of all three versions, as well as fans of the original Gold Key, that is a fantastic book to own.

However, if there are more fans of the new Valiant universe (without Magnus) than fans of the new Magnus at some other publishers...

you might see how the demand for Gold Key Magnus #1 might not rise with the demand for Valiant first appearances rising today.

Why would Gold Key Magnus #1 be connected to Valiant today?

It was definitely connected in the 1990s... but not today.

So, when you say you "can't see how this could or should affect collecting"... I'm wondering how you can't see it.

Nabbed a Rai #0 for myself off of the bay after someone outbid me by 0.06! I hit a clean looking BIN for less so jokes on him.

It seems to be a popular book in the last few weeks.

Rai 0 Sales in 1 week

Rarely has anyone paid more for Solar #3 than they paid for Harbinger #1 from the same seller. lol

I couldn't believe it. Whenever I walk in the store I am always asked "What do you Know?!?!?!?" by the manager. lol But, because I am a nice guy, I hand them the lower grade copies after I pull the copies I wanted so they can reprice these books I don't take. This relationship got me the hook up and was allowed into "the warehouse" using ladders to pull boxes and run through. Going back tomorrow. lol

Thanks, Greg! And can you confirm the commentary in one of the issues that Magnus 12 & Harbinger 1 were ranked # 16 & 17?

Weird that the 2010 estimate for Solar 7 is as high as 50k given that we were all told back in 1992-'93 that Harbinger 1 (not on the list) had a print run of just ~35k.

I also recall that everyone thought Rai 4 was rarer than Rai 3 until the ranking came out in Valiant Voice.

Anecdotally, I always found more Rai 3s than Rai 4s, but Wizard was the one annointing Rai 4 as the rarest for a hot spell there...

I don't doubt your experiences, but I have the opposite view. I have always, always, straight back to 1993, seen fewer Rai 3s than 4s. And still do today.

Thanks, Greg! And can you confirm the commentary in one of the issues that Magnus 12 & Harbinger 1 were ranked # 16 & 17?

Weird that the 2010 estimate for Solar 7 is as high as 50k given that we were all told back in 1992-'93 that Harbinger 1 (not on the list) had a print run of just ~35k.

I also recall that everyone thought Rai 4 was rarer than Rai 3 until the ranking came out in Valiant Voice.

Anecdotally, I always found more Rai 3s than Rai 4s, but Wizard was the one annointing Rai 4 as the rarest for a hot spell there...

I don't doubt your experiences, but I have the opposite view. I have always, always, straight back to 1993, seen fewer Rai 3s than 4s. And still do today.

+1

I am seeing some things on Rai #0.... was there a glossy and non-glossy version?

Or am I just dreaming this stuff up now? Is one more rare than the other? Any label notation that is different?