• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I think you just contradicted yourself. hm

Iron Man 55 is way more important than Iron Man one anyways :baiting:

Hah! Bait taken...Now, maybe, but not 25 years ago, around the time the Infinity Gauntlet came out. A book no one cared about shot from $8 to $55 to as much as $150 in less than 90 days. It was a big deal at the time for IM 55 to surpass IM 1 in both price and demand.

I will find it absolutely ludicrous if, simply because VEI does not have the license to the Gold Key characters, Magnus 5 (1st appearance of Rai) ends up being far more valuable than either Magnus 0 (origin, 1st Valiant incentive) or Magnus 12 (1st Turok) just because Rai *may* appear in a movie 3-4 years hence.

No problem with it being more valuable than Magnus 1, since I believe it's also notable for being David Lapham's first professional work, and Stray Bullets was awesome.

But for Magnus 5 to overtake Magnus 0 & 12 for me would be right up there with Iron Man 55 overtaking Iron Man 1 for a spell.

Oddly, I don't feel that way about Solar 3 or Solar 10 -- each deserves to be more valuable than Solar 1, and -- back in the day, each was. Harada is a keystone villain & the print run is far far less than that of Shadowman 8.

It's a major disturbance in the force to have half of the pre-Unity books (the bulk of the Magnus & Solar runs) no longer as potentially valuable as those of the other lines simply because today's collectibility is movie hype driven.

I understand where you're coming from... the "hierarchy" of Valiant books has been pretty similar for 20 years.

Even when prices were very low, there were always books that were "twice as important" or "three times as important" as others in the run.

The movie hype is definitely a driving force in the market of the past two weeks...

but there's also something to be said for "new issues" vs. "not published anymore"

Rai (first appearance in Magnus #5) is up to issue #7 in the Valiant universe.

Turok (first appearance in Magnus #12) is not in the Valiant universe.

When it comes to Valiant collectibles, the first 20 years definitely matter...

but at least at some point... the last 3 years will start to matter, too.

It's the "What have you done for me lately?" aspect of collecting.

THANK YOU! :applause:

Side by side, in the same lighting, there is a slight difference in the coloring of the white cover for the glossy (slightly off-white).

With the angled light on the cover, they have slightly different "glares"...

but I don't see anything that would help me know that a copy was glossy if someone posted the photos from one book or the other in an auction.

One is blue and black, and the other is white and gold.

THANK YOU! :applause:

Side by side, in the same lighting, there is a slight difference in the coloring of the white cover for the glossy (slightly off-white).

With the angled light on the cover, they have slightly different "glares"...

but I don't see anything that would help me know that a copy was glossy if someone posted the photos from one book or the other in an auction.

One is blue and black, and the other is white and gold.

lol

Just picked up sweet copies of Solar #3 and #10 (1st printing) for a total of $7.00 from the local Vintage Stock store today. :)

Almost trumped me on my Solar #3 and Harbinger #1 find for $11.00. (thumbs u

Just picked up sweet copies of Solar #3 and #10 (1st printing) for a total of $7.00 from the local Vintage Stock store today. :)

Congrats to you both! :applause:

Indeed! Nice finds! :headbang:

Rai #3 --- in my experience, most copies are miscut at the top, with no blue showing above the RAI logo.

I've always considered the "well-centered" cover more desirable, because it looks more like Rai #1-#5 at the top.

Well-centered copies aren't as common as the miscut.

rai3top.jpg

GACK!

2002 FLASHBACKS!!!!

Those of you getting these steals should be very appreciative.

There are AT LEAST 20 people who would have whipped out their wallets as fast as they could if they stumbled upon those, for those prices.

Ok, maybe not #3, but for Harby #1, and Solar #10 1st?

You better believe it.

What has made Valiant different is that there have ALWAYS been people willing to pay a premium for these books, no matter when, no matter how many.

$10 for a Harby #1? Done. You say you have 100 copies? Done.

That's not true of ANY other company after Marvel. Pre-Unity Valiant behaves, as back issues, much like Marvel and DC...there's never a lull in demand where *nobody* wanted them.

I remember unbagging and boarding most of my Valiants about 6-7 years ago because I ran out , and needed some.

Never did bag them back up...

D'oh!

If anyone is ready to sell an A & A #1 Gold, please keep me in mind!

:roflmao:

I did the same thing because my mom wouldn't buy me any more bags & boards. They stayed like that until I was a Teen and thought it was too cool to have that stuff and dumped my two long boxes of variants in dumpster at a new house build in my parents subdivision.

I remember unbagging and boarding most of my Valiants about 6-7 years ago because I ran out , and needed some.

Never did bag them back up...

D'oh!

If anyone is ready to sell an A & A #1 Gold, please keep me in mind!

:roflmao:

I did the same thing because my mom wouldn't buy me any more bags & boards. They stayed like that until I was a Teen and thought it was too cool to have that stuff and dumped my two long boxes of variants in dumpster at a new house build in my parents subdivision.

Way too many stories of Valiant comics in dumpsters. I think we all need to start searching landfills for long boxes like they did with those Atari ET cartridges.

Rai #3 --- in my experience, most copies are miscut at the top, with no blue showing above the RAI logo.

I've always considered the "well-centered" cover more desirable, because it looks more like Rai #1-#5 at the top.

Well-centered copies aren't as common as the miscut.

rai3top.jpg

GACK!

2002 FLASHBACKS!!!!

Next thing you know, someone will flash back to 1992. :kidaround:

Whoops... too late... :ohnoez:

Wizard_16_9.jpg

Wizard_16_10.jpg

Magnus 12 is a dead book now that Turok is no longer part of Valiant. If you are a fan of Turok, you are going after his Gold Key books anyways.

Gold Key? If you're a Turok fan, you need to go after a 61-year-old Dell book called Four Color #596. lol

Magnus #12 is a "classic Valiant book"... so there will probably always be Valiant fans who want a copy (or a hoard).

It's true that Turok isn't part of the Valiant universe... but Magnus #12 had a few fans even when there was little hope for a Valiant universe relaunch.

Besides... if you want to hype Magnus #12 without Turok, just point out it has a lesbian kiss... in 1992!

Magnus #0 is another book that will probably always have fans in the Valiant community, even if we don't see another Valiant book published with Magnus.

Magnus 12 is a dead book now that Turok is no longer part of Valiant. If you are a fan of Turok, you are going after his Gold Key books anyways.

If you're a Turok fan, you need to go after a Dell book called Four Color #596.

The Dell/Gold Key Turoks are better reads than when he was at Valiant anyway, IMO. My father couldn't get over the fact that they killed off Andar.

I don't have a Four Color #596 yet, but I have a lot of the other early issues as well as the Dark Horse collection. Fun stuff and great covers.