• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I remember the day Rai 0 dropped. My LCS had an unprecedented "one per customer" sign. I thought it was the craziest thing. Naturally I sent my sister in after me to buy me another copy. Honestly, Valiant used to get no love. Image was so hot back then. I remember taking so much grief about loving Valiant titles. Crazy what $100 million dollars will do.

Magnus #6 -- First appearance of the Spider Aliens who would most assuredly be used if there is ever a XO-Manowar film.

That`s a good pick!

(thumbs u

I disagree. The spider-aliens have been replaced by the Vine in the relaunched universe, which I imagine would be more the basis for any live-action stuff they do. Which perhaps means that X-O #1 (2012) is the book you want. Especially when you consider there are less of them.

Magnus #6 -- First appearance of the Spider Aliens who would most assuredly be used if there is ever a XO-Manowar film.

That`s a good pick!

(thumbs u

I disagree. The spider-aliens have been replaced by the Vine in the relaunched universe, which I imagine would be more the basis for any live-action stuff they do. Which perhaps means that X-O #1 (2012) is the book you want. Especially when you consider there are less of them.

The Vine are basically just the updated, modern version of the spider-aliens. They still have spider faces. And considering the vague name of "spider-alien" is what they went by in old Valiant, who is to say that somebody else wouldn't nickname this Vine race as spider-aliens.

I don't think you want to start saying that the reboot books would get top billing over the 1990 stuff. Every Valiant character has had some tweak in their origin which doesn't mean much now when publishers are constantly altering continuity now.

That`s a good pick!

(thumbs u

The Vine are basically just the updated, modern version of the spider-aliens. They still have spider faces. And considering the vague name of "spider-alien" is what they went by in old Valiant, who is to say that somebody else wouldn't nickname this Vine race as spider-aliens.

I don't think you want to start saying that the reboot books would get top billing over the 1990 stuff. Every Valiant character has had some tweak in their origin which doesn't mean much now when publishers are constantly altering continuity now.

The new Valiant is as much of a reimagining as a reboot, since they're missing three pieces that were key to the original universe, and they had an important gap in publishing. Certainly most of the major players are recognizable enough as their original counterparts, but there are a few characters that had a major overhaul (Doctor Mirage and Livewire to name just a couple). I think the Spider-alien/Vine comparison falls into that category. In addition to what's been discussed, they're more humanoid in the current books. Time will tell.

That X-O #0 is one of the most off-white/cream/yellow that I've ever seen.

X-O #0 was the first full chromium cover from ANY publisher, and Valiant printed about 800,000 of those.

It's not surprising that there are variations in the colors, particularly in the white, since you normally don't have to print white onto white paper. For chromium books, the bottom layer is silver/platinum, so white has to be added.

There are lots of shades of white and off-white on X-O #0. That one is one of the darkest white covers I've ever seen.

tl;dr

Your X-O #0 is kinda neat. (thumbs u

That X-O #0 is one of the most off-white/cream/yellow that I've ever seen.

X-O #0 was the first full chromium cover from ANY publisher, and Valiant printed about 800,000 of those.

It's not surprising that there are variations in the colors, particularly in the white, since you normally don't have to print white onto white paper. For chromium books, the bottom layer is silver/platinum, so white has to be added.

There are lots of shades of white and off-white on X-O #0. That one is one of the darkest white covers I've ever seen.

tl;dr

Your X-O #0 is kinda neat. (thumbs u

thanks that makes me feel a bit better after recieving some damaged comics in the mail today :(