• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Just sold a raw one for $3..... happy days! :facepalm:

Ignorance is bliss......

You sold a gold version for $3? I recently sold a NM gold copy for $99! $3 is about right for the regular version.

They left the cover price in the gold logo box by mistake, none of the other Valiant gold books had a cover price. It is not uncommon to mistake it for the regular version.

Sadly - it was the one exactly the same as the pictured copy. I bought a collection a few months back and listed all the valiants at $3 on my monthly newsletter to sellers.

Oh well.

I've still got an X-O #0 though... lol

The buyer has been a good customer in the past. Best of luck to him. (thumbs u

I will be going back to the original guy that I bought the books from, as he still has about 3000 books left. :wishluck:

I enjoyed Shadowman, Harbinger..Had the runs of them..And had all of the comics back in 90s..Sold em right before the bottom fell out. Kept a few around. I thought Shadowman would have made a great movie

Wanna know what is, by far, the rarest gold 9.8?

Eternal Warrior #1 flat.

A mere 14 on the census, and we have proven that those numbers include errors by CGC mixing the two up.

The A&A #0 Gold is tough, for sure...but the EW #1 flat gold is the toughest.

If I can't post a scan of a 9.8, it must be tough.

Eternal Warrior #1 flat.

A mere 14 on the census, and we have proven that those numbers include errors by CGC mixing the two up.

I had always been under the impression that the gold embossed version was a smaller print run than the flat gold? Is this wrong or is this true and it's just harder to find the 9.8 on the flat?

Eternal Warrior #1 flat.

I had always been under the impression that the gold embossed version was a smaller print run than the flat gold? Is this wrong or is this true and it's just harder to find the 9.8 on the flat?

The "official" story is this: The A&A #0 and EW #1 were the first golds that Valiant made. Up to that point, however, Marvel had been making gold (and silver) second printings for a couple of years, starting with Spiderman #1.

The books had print runs of 5,000. Reportedly, 2,500 were accidentally shipped to the west coast, where dealers who got them thought they were second prints, and put them on their shelves for sale.

Now..I never actually witnessed this, but I *was* told this was the case by a dealer in Hayward (something comics n' cards, long since vanished) shortly after it was supposed to have happened.

As a result of the mixup, Valiant apologized, and printed 5,000 MORE EW #1 golds...only this time, they made sure to remove the cover price, and added the gold embossed foil.

That's the story that's been around since the beginning. How much of it is true, is really anyone's guess.

Eternal Warrior #1 flat.

The "official" story is this: The A&A #0 and EW #1 were the first golds that Valiant made. Up to that point, however, Marvel had been making gold (and silver) second printings for a couple of years, starting with Spiderman #1.

The books had print runs of 5,000. Reportedly, 2,500 were accidentally shipped to the west coast, where dealers who got them thought they were second prints, and put them on their shelves for sale.

Now..I never actually witnessed this, but I *was* told this was the case by a dealer in Hayward (something comics n' cards, long since vanished) shortly after it was supposed to have happened.

As a result of the mixup, Valiant apologized, and printed 5,000 MORE EW #1 golds...only this time, they made sure to remove the cover price, and added the gold embossed foil.

That's the story that's been around since the beginning. How much of it is true, is really anyone's guess.

Well .....so I went after what is essentially the second print. Kept it all these years not knowing that I had passed on the real deal (flat one) several times without thinking twice.

So AA0gold has half the run size of EW1gold and is a more important book anyhow. I guess I'll have to grab one of those AA then.

Any word on the run size of Harbinger 0 pink?

(thank you much for the info!)

Eternal Warrior #1 flat.

Well .....so I went after what is essentially the second print. Kept it all these years not knowing that I had passed on the real deal (flat one) several times without thinking twice.

So AA0gold has half the run size of EW1gold and is a more important book anyhow. I guess I'll have to grab one of those AA then.

Any word on the run size of Harbinger 0 pink?

(thank you much for the info!)

I wouldn't think of the embossed as the "second print". I look as it more of a Magnus 0 with and without card situation. They are the same book printed for different reasons.

While it certainly is harder to find the flat in the wild, what has really driven the value of the flat gold is condition.

They were not taken care of as well and are more easily damaged through normal handling. It has a regular paper cover (like A&A 0 gold) and even sloshing around in long boxes inside a bag and board can kill it. When Valiant was completely out of favor not that long ago, it was not uncommon to find these in with regular stock for under $5.

When Valiant printed the second / embossed version, they went with a thick cover to do the embossing. The embossed copy has a premium feel to it and it was taken care of better, in general.

Just for the record, in reference to the gold flat and embossed....

It's very easy to mistake these two when looking for them online. The gold embossing often scans as black, and worse...CGC has mislabeled ALOT of them.

So you have to fall back on the logo box in the upper left to identify them. No cover price is the embossed.

The copies in my master set are below:

EternalWarrior1GoldEmbossedCGC98-1.jpg

EternalWarrior1GoldCGC94-1.jpg