• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 128

258 posts in this topic

Oh man I crashed and burned!

A 6.5 with tape on it? Has the world gone mad?? No way in hell does any book with tape on it grade in the fine region! Never, no way, absolutely not! That book is a 4.5. I would never claim 5.0 or above for any book - no matter how utterly perfect in every other way - that had a piece of sellotape stuck to it! Wow.

Apart from that one (which I got right and CGC made a huge mistake) I did pretty bad! Well done AlexH.

A 6.5 with tape on it? Has the world gone mad?? No way in hell does any book with tape on it grade in the fine region! Never, no way, absolutely not! That book is a 4.5. I would never claim 5.0 or above for any book - no matter how utterly perfect in every other way - that had a piece of sellotape stuck to it! Wow.

Apart from that one (which I got right and CGC made a huge mistake) I did pretty bad! Well done AlexH.

I gave that book a 4.5 too, even though I had a funny feeling that CGC would grade it higher. But then, in this contest, if I submitted a 6.5 grade for a book with tape on it and the "correct" grade turned out to be 4.5, then I would be a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I can't remember ever seeing a non-restored book with tape ever receiving anything higher than a 4.5 (but I'm sure they're out there).

And if you were to sell that book raw and claim it was a 6.5, you would be crucified.

Having said that, it is a beautiful book. (thumbs u

I gave that book a 4.5 too, even though I had a funny feeling that CGC would grade it higher. But then, in this contest, if I submitted a 6.5 grade for a book with tape on it and the "correct" grade turned out to be 4.5, then I would be a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I can't remember ever seeing a non-restored book with tape ever receiving anything higher than a 4.5 (but I'm sure they're out there).

And if you were to sell that book raw and claim it was a 6.5, you would be crucified.

lol

lol

The first time I ever say anything serious on these boards and he laughs. :cry:

lol

The first time I ever say anything serious on these boards and he laughs. :cry:

lol

i have a nice JIM (108, i think) that looks 8.0-ish that has a few pieces of pointless tape on the corners for "protection". now i want to send it in. :headbang:

68 points and heading to the stands for the next round. :sorry:

At least I went out swinging. lol

Sorry about that AJD. I am glad to make it out of the round. Australia is definitely on the bucket list. I will buy you a pint if I ever get there to search for some Phantoms.

Craig

68 points and heading to the stands for the next round. :sorry:

At least I went out swinging. lol

Sorry about that AJD. I am glad to make it out of the round. Australia is definitely on the bucket list. I will buy you a pint if I ever get there to search for some Phantoms.

Craig

I look forward to it!

Good luck in the next round.