• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lama #6 ~A mystery?!

34 posts in this topic

Ive posted this before.yet no one has noticed its slight oddity...Upper right corner has a "ribbon" covering a date,like Mystic Comics V1 #6

This is not a Canadian Edition,I checked,its American(came out of Las Vegas)

Have asked about some knowledgeable folks but no answers....

Im certain someone can help?

Beat,taped,loved and complete,here she is...

Thanks for looking and any insight in advance!

3ee1f850-ebfe-493a-b033-4e6e9bc3ef42_zps19de3514.jpg

The regular version of Green Lama #6 also appears to have a date that was added after production began. My guess is the book was late to the printer, so they blacked out the old date & added a new one. Someone decided early on that the blacked out date looked bad, so they imposed a 2nd new date which is the one you see on most copies.

Ive posted this before.yet no one has noticed its slight oddity...Upper right corner has a "ribbon" covering a date,like Mystic Comics V1 #6

This is not a Canadian Edition,I checked,its American(came out of Las Vegas)

Have asked about some knowledgeable folks but no answers....

Im certain someone can help?

Beat,taped,loved and complete,here she is...

Thanks for looking and any insight in advance!

3ee1f850-ebfe-493a-b033-4e6e9bc3ef42_zps19de3514.jpg

TERRIFIC BOOK! :applause::applause::applause:

My GREEN LAMA #5 is dated MAY 1945 and my GREEN LAMA #7 is dated January, 1946

there appears to be irregular dating on this title. Maybe that's why I never bought a #6.

mm

I looked at a bunch of these a few years back. The covered version seems less common than the uncovered version by a ratio of 3:1 or so. I believe I have a covered one sitting around somewhere.

Thank you very much for your time and information everyone!

Was happy to see and hear of someone else having one,and reading what buttock says it sounds like it's not super rare...I had just never seen it noted anywhere,and we'll...I thought it was neat.

I'm sure Timelys comments about it are likely right on...and Marty pointing out the difference in months on his 5 and 7~I'd love to know the whole story....Was this title not a baby of Raboys?Perhaps he just took time until he was good and pleased with how it came out?

BangZoom,I'd really love to see yours if it is handy?! :)

Again, thanks all,would still love to hear anymore comments or see more!

Jimmers

....Was this title not a baby of Raboys?Perhaps he just took time until he was good and pleased with how it came out?

Spark Publications was owned by Kendall Crossen, the creator of the Green Lama. Crossen was a relatively successful writer of pulps, radio dramas, comics, etc, and novels later on. (google "Milo March"... some really fun paperback covers)

On the face of it, and given their small overall output, one might guess that Crossen found that running a publisher was tougher going than he had expected, particularly since he seemed to keep himself pretty busy as a writer.

Probably worth digging into more some day. hm

I think Raboy was a notoriously slow worker, often missing deadlines or reusing earlier work when he could get away with it. Not sure whether that has anything to do with the shifting dates on this issue.

my modest little copy.

glama6.jpg

That's a stellar copy compared with mine, which is so ragged I couldn't bear to scan it. :cry:

Ah,come on now...can't be too bad...sheesh,look at the one I posted...taped,ripped,loved... :foryou:

BOOT,thank you,and everyone else for your comments,showing your copies...info et all!Just hoping to see more.... :wishluck:

...and glad I could bring something noteworthy to the gold table. :blush::)