• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What photo editing software do you use?

39 posts in this topic

I changed comouters last year and lost my previous software ( photoshop?)

All I need it to do is crop straighten and reduce the size of the scan. I would like to be able to work with several scans at once as well.

I prefer free, or at least very low cost.

I just tried Adobe photoshop express, and while I could use it for most of what I want, the saved image almost trippled in size to 3 megs

When I get this I will have almost a years worth of Four Colors to post

I just tried Adobe photoshop express, and while I could use it for most of what I want, the saved image almost trippled in size to 3 megs

Re-save the image in MS Paint to reduce the file size.

I just tried Adobe photoshop express, and while I could use it for most of what I want, the saved image almost trippled in size to 3 megs.

Looks like to adjust size in Express it's (top toolbar) Image/Resize/Image Size. Then as long as "constrain proportions" is checked, have at it.

Here's a decent 3 minute video: Photoshop Elements 12 Tutorial Image Size & Resolution Settings

And I'll toss in a link to Gizmo's . Nicely organized Freeware reviews for everything. If you're looking for free equivalents, yeah, look around Gizmos. (thumbs u

I've used a program called PhotoImpact for years. I have a really old version and I'm sure it's not as powerful as Photoshop but it works great for the basic things you want to do.

Here is a link: PhotoImpact

It's only $30 and has a free trial download so you can try it out.

I changed comouters last year and lost my previous software ( photoshop?)

All I need it to do is crop straighten and reduce the size of the scan. I would like to be able to work with several scans at once as well.

There is zero reason those images should be that size. You should be saving them for web which will allow you to compress them correctly. Choose the correct file type though (gif might be fine for very old low colour count comics, though jpg is the better bet for most)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/getting-started/save-web-friendly-format.html

http://www.sitepoint.com/gif-png-jpg-which-one-to-use/

Also if you are working with MANY file and are doing the same fix for all pages (resize, adjust colour balance, compress & save) then you can just set up a batch file action that will take your entire folder of images and automatically do it. Jobs that would take hours/days now only take a few minutes total.

http://digital-photography-school.com/batch-processing-in-photoshop-elements/

Adobe Photoshop CS2 is free and you can download it direct from Adobe. It is ten years old but it does everything I need it to do.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads

You will need to create a free adobe ID to download the installer but then you are good to go.

Your excellent point can't be overstated. (thumbs u The entire CS2 Creative Suite is available for free download. When installing just pick the programs you want or do all of them, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, whatever. Old but very, very powerful.

Here's a couple of download links:

Techspot

Softonic

I use MSPaint for simple cropping & re-sizing. Other than that, I have to fire up my 10+ YO desktop and use the Lexmark photo editor installed on it, the program that came with the Lexmark 3-in-1 scanner printer I still use for my scans.

:)

-slym

+1

Maybe it is just me, but while I found GIMP easy to install and not difficult to begin using, I want the output saved as .JPG that can be easily used and viewed everywhere.

They only seem to allow their own proprietary .XCF extension

Jim

Gimp can save in lots of formats, thats just the default.

I think its not as straight forward switching save types, but I also remember you can just type it, and it does it as well.

Save your file with .jpg in the name, and you shouldnt even have to set it. (been a while since i used it)

+1

Maybe it is just me, but while I found GIMP easy to install and not difficult to begin using, I want the output saved as .JPG that can be easily used and viewed everywhere.

It definitely supports .JPG, so have another look at it. It wouldn't be worth if it couldn't save to JPG.

I'll +3 it for being the bomb. (worship)

Adobe Photoshop CS2 is free and you can download it direct from Adobe. It is ten years old but it does everything I need it to do.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads

You will need to create a free adobe ID to download the installer but then you are good to go.

Your excellent point can't be overstated. (thumbs u The entire CS2 Creative Suite is available for free download. When installing just pick the programs you want or do all of them, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, whatever. Old but very, very powerful.

Here's a couple of download links:

Techspot

Softonic

Yup, I took advantage of the free download too. Good stuff.

I will take another look at home over the weekend, but the program seemed quite clear that the ONLY format I could save in was theirs. the message said something about then being able to export it as a .JPG

Honestly i was quite surprised, but thought maybe that is what you get for FREE

It definitely supports .JPG, so have another look at it. It wouldn't be worth if it couldn't save to JPG.

I'll +3 it for being the bomb. (worship)

A bit more info about this. The Gimp XCF file type is the equivalent of the Photoshop PSD file format, i.e. it saves all the information about layers, text, transparency, etc in the file so that you can edit it all in the future. JPG doesn't save any of that kind of data.

Both Photoshop and Gimp can save to any format besides its own. Neither would be worth a hoot if they didn't.

I will take another look at home over the weekend, but the program seemed quite clear that the ONLY format I could save in was theirs. the message said something about then being able to export it as a .JPG

Nah, there is no paid version of Gimp, and it has most of the features of Photoshop. The confusion is probably that you need to export it, not save it. Here's how:

export.jpg

hmm, havent used the windows one in a long long time, have used the linux one within the last year, and it saves in dozens of formats.

Might just have to download right now at work and check it out :D

I will get back to you