• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What photo editing software do you use?

39 posts in this topic

ok, i downloaded and installed it.

You are right, in the current version they seem to have split it up (maybe trying to get more people to use their format, who knows).

But, when you choose Export As, instead of Save As, it brings up an identical dialog to the save as, and you can save in all standard formats.

It's also possible they seperated it so it is easier to add more and more save types, via plug-ins.

End result, it saves just as you would think and expect, in all formats, just use Ctrl+E instead of Ctrl+S

Adobe Photoshop CS2 is free and you can download it direct from Adobe. It is ten years old but it does everything I need it to do.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads

You will need to create a free adobe ID to download the installer but then you are good to go.

Your excellent point can't be overstated. (thumbs u The entire CS2 Creative Suite is available for free download. When installing just pick the programs you want or do all of them, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, whatever. Old but very, very powerful.

Here's a couple of download links:

Techspot

Softonic

Yup, I took advantage of the free download too. Good stuff.

I've watched this guy's tutorials for years and remember him saying he used Photoshop PS2 all the way up to PS6 or so. That for drawing, design work and digital painting you'd be better off spending money for a more powerful computer or better Wacom tablet. PS2 is a workhorse.

FZD School of Design

ok, i downloaded and installed it.

You are right, in the current version they seem to have split it up (maybe trying to get more people to use their format, who knows).

But, when you choose Export As, instead of Save As, it brings up an identical dialog to the save as, and you can save in all standard formats.

It's also possible they seperated it so it is easier to add more and more save types, via plug-ins.

End result, it saves just as you would think and expect, in all formats, just use Ctrl+E instead of Ctrl+S

It boils down to the best way to make sure the user of your software understands that saving an image file is different than saving a file which retains the information needed to edit the components of an image. The authors of Gimp chose to delineate that by using an "export" function to differentiate flat image formats from the richer format that ALL image editing applications use. (shrug)

+1

Maybe it is just me, but while I found GIMP easy to install and not difficult to begin using, I want the output saved as .JPG that can be easily used and viewed everywhere.

They only seem to allow their own proprietary .XCF extension

It definitely supports .JPG, so have another look at it. It wouldn't be worth if it couldn't save to JPG.

I'll +3 it for being the bomb. (worship)

+4

Thanks for the education. :applause:

I was able to quickly procss 10 images this morning. later today i will upload and post to see how they look.

I really like the working of the rotation. Just bugs me when my scans are off. Also fairly easy to crop. Setting the export size to 45% and the images are about 750k

I love Photoshop, I've been using it since the early 90's. I wouldn't be able to function without it. If you really want to reduce the size of your artwork to put on the web, just go to file, then "Save for Web". Click on the "2 or 4 up" and tweak the file to your liking.

The best way to straighten is to use the rule tool. Should be under the eyedrop tool.

Use the rule to drag/trace along the bottom of the comic at the angle its shifted at. Then go to "Image", "Image Rotation", "Arbitrary", you should see the correct rotation angle in the box, then click OK.

+1

Maybe it is just me, but while I found GIMP easy to install and not difficult to begin using, I want the output saved as .JPG that can be easily used and viewed everywhere.

They only seem to allow their own proprietary .XCF extension

It definitely supports .JPG, so have another look at it. It wouldn't be worth if it couldn't save to JPG.

I'll +3 it for being the bomb. (worship)

+4

Thanks for the education. :applause:

I was able to quickly procss 10 images this morning. later today i will upload and post to see how they look.

I really like the working of the rotation. Just bugs me when my scans are off. Also fairly easy to crop. Setting the export size to 45% and the images are about 750k

Missed this the first time around. I assume you found the export to save as whatever file type you want.

For what the OP wants, pixlr.com is more than sufficient. Photoshop and GIMP are powerful tools designed for professionals. GIMP's interface is clumsy and confusing. Photoshop can be overwhelming.

You folks are recommending a jackhammer when someone needs a rubber mallet.