• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Sim in the hospital

24 posts in this topic

Dave's a nutbar and probably a woman-hater, but dammit if he isn't an amazing creator. Apparently the use of his right hand is up in the air, which bums me out. Even if I disagree deeply with his views at times, there is no doubt about his contributions. Hope he's okay.

Link.

BTW: Is there a Cerebus appreciation thread on the forums?

Dave's a nutbar and probably a woman-hater, but dammit if he isn't an amazing creator. Apparently the use of his right hand is up in the air, which bums me out. Even if I disagree deeply with his views at times, there is no doubt about his contributions. Hope he's okay.

Link.

BTW: Is there a Cerebus appreciation thread on the forums?

Couldn't have summed up my complicated feelings about the guy better if I tried. Amazingly gifted writer and cartoonist, unquestionably a brilliant guy, major league crazy and hateful crank. His work was a huge part of my adolescence, and his voice was always so clear. I would dig into the letters column with as much vigor as I did the story itself.

So, anyway, yeah, I can't be a part of his cult of personality anymore, but I wish the guy nothing but the best, and hope he is able to keep making great work.

Interesting that they've diagnosed it down to a blocked / twisted colon. How does a blocked colon cause hands not to work? That's a big mystery - I just know that it just can.

I've always maintained that the colon is just as important for over all health of the entire body (including extremities, mind, etc) as any other organ.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out that one either. If anything, the only twisted organ in his body appears to be his sense of reason. Seriously though, a volvulus is no joke.

Dave was a huge part of my adolescence too. I think High Society and Church & State, along with copious amounts of Monty Python and Parliament/Funkadelic's music were key to shaping my adolescent worldview.

In a way I am grateful that I was had such a challenging person to admire at a young age: Dave's loonybirding definitely taught me to learn to assess the artist separately from the artist's work when drawing conclusions.

Dave Sim is not a misogynist.

There, I said it.

Get well, Dave.

Ha! I was going to post the same thing. Dave Sim is NOT a misogynist.

I have corresponded with him a few times in the last year or two. He is a changed man from the 80s in my experience. He was apparently quite the odd bird, possibly had mental health issues, and had no problem voicing his strong opinions. He seems humbled now, very respectful to others of all kinds in my experience, and one of the more devoutly spiritual public individuals you could find. (I did not say religious as he apparently has aspects of Muslim, Catholic, and Jewish beliefs systems. I am not completely sure about all that but that is what I have gathered.)

Get well Dave! And anyone wishing to help him directly can contribute cash at

momentofcerebus.blogspot.com

There is a link to donate on the right side to become a patron of Dave Sim. That is for a monthly donation but you can donate once and then stop it at any time.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out that one either. If anything, the only twisted organ in his body appears to be his sense of reason. Seriously though, a volvulus is no joke.

It's hard to understand how the colon can affect the rest of the body (the parts that are not directly attached to the colon itself) but I do believe it is possible.

In natural health philosophy no part of the body acts as an island to itself and to some degree every single part of the body has an effect on the rest of the body, so yes, the hand can be affected by the colon.

It's hard to understand how the colon can affect the rest of the body (the parts that are not directly attached to the colon itself) but I do believe it is possible.

In natural health philosophy no part of the body acts as an island to itself and to some degree every single part of the body has an effect on the rest of the body, so yes, the hand can be affected by the colon.

:eyeroll:

They are unrelated issues

he was having the hand issues long before his admission to the hospital for the twisted colon

I'll look at donating then.

So what struck you as having changed so much? I honestly haven't followed him much since Cerebus wrapped up, but I remember the whole Comics Journal Feud from the '90s when Dave seemed to be very much a misogynist, and likely somewhat unhinged.

Just curious.

he was having the hand issues long before his admission to the hospital for the twisted colon

They may or may not be. I don't know enough about this to comment.

They haven't stated exactly what was causing his hand problem, have they?

I'm just saying that the colon does in fact have links to the rest of the body that people fully don't understand yet.

So what struck you as having changed so much? I honestly haven't followed him much since Cerebus wrapped up, but I remember the whole Comics Journal Feud from the '90s when Dave seemed to be very much a misogynist, and likely somewhat unhinged.

Just curious.

Talking to him and writing letters back and forth. He prays devoutly every day, has not made any inflaming statements that I am aware of like he used to do, professes to abstain from any and all drugs/alcohol (he has a red nose for a reason, ask Colleen Doran if you want to hear alcohol related horror stories but beware if she doesn't take the questioning well, she has to be secure with you in addressing it) and is a humble man in my experience. Look, Women and Reads were tough to tolerate at times but that man seems to have learned.

I can also be quite naive, believing what people tell me directly and I want to see the good in people. I think that has become a lot easier to do with Dave Sim.

Just curious.

Talking to him and writing letters back and forth. He prays devoutly every day, has not made any inflaming statements that I am aware of like he used to do, professes to abstain from any and all drugs/alcohol (he has a red nose for a reason, ask Colleen Doran if you want to hear alcohol related horror stories but beware if she doesn't take the questioning well, she has to be secure with you in addressing it) and is a humble man in my experience. Look, Women and Reads were tough to tolerate at times but that man seems to have learned.

I can also be quite naive, believing what people tell me directly and I want to see the good in people. I think that has become a lot easier to do with Dave Sim.

We all deserve a chance to grow up.

I'm wishing him a speedy recovery.

Get well soon! I know he crossed more than a few people, but for me it's a cast the first stone situation, I've made my share of mistakes and didn't have to answer to anywhere near what he has to deal with. People can change and it sounds like he probably had a few issues to boot.

For me, his Cerebus guide to self publishing was so on the money in a lot of ways. Well worth the read imho.Ahead of the curve.

Get well Dave.

Met him twice back in 93 along with Gerhard and had a few beers with them both.

He seemed nice and was entertaining funny with no hit of malice towards anyone female or otherwise. I dropped out of comics in about 95 and didn't return till 2012 and was surprised by the misogynist vibe he had attracted since. All I can say is he showed no sign of that on his UK aardvark tour in fact he was the perfect gentlemen.

They may or may not be. I don't know enough about this to comment.

They haven't stated exactly what was causing his hand problem, have they?

I'm just saying that the colon does in fact have links to the rest of the body that people fully don't understand yet.

Mine tried to kill me, so "Elvis has left the building" if you get my drift......

The only thing that I can say, after having lived without a large intestine for several years, is that the colon is responsible for a sizable portion of the body's hydration. So it's easier to get dehydrated. Also, a malfunctioning colon, or lack of one, can cause kidney damage, also due in part to the idea of how the body is hydrated.

My wife's an MD who can explain that stuff a thousand times better than I can, to say the least.

Anyhow, I hope Dave Sim gets to feeling better.

He won't need it.

Fortunately for him, he is Canadian. He won't lose everything to a fire sale from medical bills.

Wish him a speedy recovery.

He most certainly WILL need it. Dave lives on a tight budget with little steady income and the inability to work will certainly impact him financially.

I have donated to The Dave Sim Fund in the past for this reason. A few dollars is certainly well worth it for the pleasure reading his books has given me over the years and after this I joined the patron program where he will get a few bucks from me every month, at least for now.

I desperately want to see The Strange Death of Alex Raymond published; those were fantastic reads in the Glamourpuss comic and I learned a great deal about the history of photo-realism in cartooning from Glamourpuss and want that to continue.

Be well Dave!