• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2020 at 8:49 AM, mec3437 said:

It feels so fresh too.  I like Galaxies because it's similar to the old Spotlight series, but the main series is just kinda slow.  20+ issues and not much has been accomplished.  '84 just feels right.  #2 does come out next week and the A-cover looks super sexy.  

STL154396.jpg

First issue of Secrets and Lies was solid. I'll have to give Galaxies a shot,passed on it with the main series being so boring.

3 hours ago, topcat54 said:

Anybody have any info on this one? The cover is holographic. Found it at my LCS last year.

transformers1.thumb.jpg.ecdbd889deccd7db25c63d46941dfc8a.jpg

It's the #1 from Dreamwave's first mini series in 2002.  Was a hot book for a couple months back in the day.  Dreamwave had some decent concepts and art but the business side was a mess and Pat Lee essentially ran it into the ground.  Hasbro pulled the license and granted it to IDW in 2005 or so to unfudge Dreamwave's bungling of the property.  

On 8/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, JBrown said:

Dig the Optimus one, Soundwave not so much. Maybe its the placement of the logo partially covering his head? Or that hand? But its a set, and nice score!!

I can see that.  It would work a little better as a virgin set.  I like that Soundwave has his toy Shockwave ready to go.  

On 8/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, topcat54 said:

Looks like a connecting set? 

It is.  The covers are wraparound.  The back covers are a little more trippy.  Sayger has an interesting style with this.  Here's the backs.  I just took the pics from the internet.  

tf84a.jpg

tf84b.jpg

7 hours ago, mec3437 said:

I can see that.  It would work a little better as a virgin set.  I like that Soundwave has his toy Shockwave ready to go.  

I

tf84a.jpg

Now that image has better logo placement! And yes, Shockwave gun is a nice touch, but why is Optimus wielding Megatron? hm

It's been a while.  My apologies.  Real life gets in the way sometimes.  TF vs Terminator and '84 Secrets & Lies series both wrapped up.  The TF vs Terminator series was surprisingly fun to me.  I read the first issue not expecting much, but it offered a fun take on the Terminator being sent back in time to go after Cybertronians.  I'd like to see more of the '84 line as well.  TF Galaxies has been my favorite of the 2019 rebooted continuity thus far.  The new story arc features Ultra Magnus searching for Alpha Trion.  It's almost a call back to the old Spotlight series, so the focus is on much fewer toys and different storylines as opposed to the usual Autobot vs Decepticon stuff.  

Devil Dog Comics also put out a nice set of Livio Ramondelli variants for issue #24 of the main series which Devil Dog TF variants (also posted the variants)

Speaking of #24, it breaks away from the main storyline of Megatron calling for revolution to focus on Wheeljack and some other toys on Cybertron's moon.  This side story sets up a new mini series called Escape, with issue #1 coming out 12/30 according to Previews.

Transformers_2019_24reA.jpg

Transformers_2019_24reB.jpg

Transformers_2019_24reC.jpg

tfescape1.JPG

Apologies that this isn't IDW-related, but I found A LOT of DreamWave Transformers in a collection I purchased a couple months ago. It even included all of the Cybertronian Unofficial Recognition guides put out by Antarctic Press. Anybody know what the demand is for these?

B0B849A2-6BD0-4070-86DB-805C85B30499.thumb.jpeg.27283ab630c01ef92b1f75f7d883e71b.jpeg

Edited by awakeintheashes

The Dreamwave stuff is hit and miss.  Some of the retailer incentives as well as the More than Meets the Eye guidebooks are sought after but for the most part it's dollar bin fodder.  

The unofficial recognition guides may have an audience.  Honestly, I'm not too familiar with them.  Sale prices seem to be a mixed bag.  

I'd take the Cybertronian Guides to the TFW2005 Boards. Probably get better money for them there. 

A few DW comics do okay, but it's very few, and a mixed bag of okay. You might end up better selling regular covers (A or B) as sets. Check for sigs in Dynamic Forces covers. The usual. 

19 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'd take the Cybertronian Guides to the TFW2005 Boards. Probably get better money for them there. 

A few DW comics do okay, but it's very few, and a mixed bag of okay. You might end up better selling regular covers (A or B) as sets. Check for sigs in Dynamic Forces covers. The usual. 

Thanks for the info.

I’ve done ok listing runs and sets for super cheap. Main focus has been to clear up space and sell off some filler out collections I bought. The GI Joe crossovers seem to do the best of everything I’ve seen from that era. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Yeah, that stuff hasn't been reprinted in a long time. Also don't forget volume 3 can't be legally reprinted (well, it probably can, but it's a legal mess past issue 6, so they shy away from it, we've only seen issue 4 reprinted once) so take that into consideration. 

IDW reportedly to lose Transformers license

TL:DR version is IDW and Hasbro will reportedly not be renewing the license for Transformers comics, and GI Joe as well.  No word on when the license ends but I would imagine next year some time.  No word/rumor on a new publisher or if there will be a new publisher.  I'll be honest, I used to look forward to reading TF every month, but the excitement isn't always there.  If it does end, IDW had a solid run, especially with Last Stand of the Wreckers, More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light, '84 Secrets & Lies, and several other stories.  Hopefully there will be a real conclusion to any storylines that are ongoing.  

On 11/30/2021 at 9:45 PM, mec3437 said:

IDW reportedly to lose Transformers license

TL:DR version is IDW and Hasbro will reportedly not be renewing the license for Transformers comics, and GI Joe as well.  No word on when the license ends but I would imagine next year some time.  No word/rumor on a new publisher or if there will be a new publisher.  I'll be honest, I used to look forward to reading TF every month, but the excitement isn't always there.  If it does end, IDW had a solid run, especially with Last Stand of the Wreckers, More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light, '84 Secrets & Lies, and several other stories.  Hopefully there will be a real conclusion to any storylines that are ongoing.  

Hmm, I wonder if they'll be able to finish collecting everything in the hardcovers before the deal is up? I haven't bought the floppies in a long time, but I love the hardcover collections, and they just started Phase 3 recently, I believe. 

The high points for IDW are some of my favorite comics ever, being More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light, and Robots in Disguise. Those are such great comics, and reignited my love for the license.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, mec3437 said:

The Dreamwave stuff is hit and miss.  Some of the retailer incentives as well as the More than Meets the Eye guidebooks are sought after but for the most part it's dollar bin fodder.  

The unofficial recognition guides may have an audience.  Honestly, I'm not too familiar with them.  Sale prices seem to be a mixed bag.  

During their short time with the license, Dreamwave issued a whole bunch of full-sized retail posters, usually cover art and those were great on their own.

The final picture shown is a pretty cool IDW tattoo set from from SDCC, about 10 years ago. There was a nifty Transformers "I Want You" recruitment promo poster from right around then, too, but I'm not finding a picture. I'll add one shortly.

Trans1a.JPG

Trans2c.JPG

trans3b.JPG

trans4d.JPG

TransArm1.JPG

transARM2436c.JPG

transGIJOE1.JPG

idwtat.jpg