• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

I finally had a chance to sit down and read Lost Light #1 and Optimus Prime #1-3.

I like where Lost Light is heading. It was solid as MTMTE and while the time travel/teleporting stuff could get hackneyed, I want to see where this goes. Roberts has done a great job writing the series. I'd say he's the Claremont of Transformers right now. No disrespect meant to Furman, but Roberts has really breathed new life into the series after a couple years of jumbled messes (not really Furman's fault).

As far as Prime goes, I'm digging the flashback storyline. I find Wreck Gar annoying, but that isn't too different from my thoughts on him in the old show either. The artwork is almost a throwback to the Marvel days. I'm not sure if it is intentional or not. The coloring really calls to mind some of the later Marvel run in terms of art. I may be missing stuff since I didn't read Revolution. There are references that I don't know. I guess since the book takes place on Earth, the other toys have to get face time. Oh well, it's a solid start to the series and hopefully it goes well.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Loving both titles extremely, Optimus is the Transformers book we all needed to establish him as the front piece in the Transformers history. A lot of pieces are getting moved into place and some of those visions Optimus is having is wild. Almost as wild as some of the things going on with the Lost Light. Need LL to catch up with the the arc so we can see where they are going with things. Writing is still on point, and I want to see more of Fort Max and that situation on Luna 1.

GRAIL BOOK FOUND. It will be enroute today sometime, and in hand within a week or so thanks to some good friends making sure I didn't miss it.

Lots of people to thank but I am sure they know who they are.

Thank you!

Achievement Unlocked!

Thanks again to those involved in the process of getting this pile of expensive paper into my possession!

Those look great man! Congrats on completing the collection... as far as you know. ;-) With these books I always feel there's a chance we've missed something.

very awesome... 1 small friendly piece of advice. be careful with direct sunlight and lighting. Unless those frames have special coating, the light could lead to color fading on those awesome books.

Thank you for the advice and I was 100% aware. I am in a dark room with blackout curtains, 0 direct sunlight.

there is an idea you just gave me.

$1 frames, not $30 frames, but a little UV reflective film for automotive applied to the glass would handle that. However, when I grade them I will get a different system to hang them from a professional framer who can provide UV glass. .

On 2/3/2017 at 3:29 PM, Anolotis said:

Congratulations Ultramaximus now I can say that I will be joining the exclusive club with these bad boys today

20170203_193427.jpg

DANG SON! You managed to get probably the 2 hardest to find RI covers out of all IDW! Way to knock that out off the list! 

8 minutes ago, UltraMaximus said:

DANG SON! You managed to get probably the 2 hardest to find RI covers out of all IDW! Way to knock that out off the list! 

Thanks bud wait until I get home in a few days to what else I got !

Hey all,

Not specifically comic related, but I thought I might be able to throw this in here.

As I think I may have mentioned before, I've really taken a shine to the MtMtE and RID series, at least up until the Revolution point (which I haven't read yet.) I have been blown away by how imaginative, well written and fun these books are, as I usually don't have a very high bar for licensed comics.

At any rate, my newfound love for these books has rekindled an interest in collecting the toys, but I am so far out of the loop, trips to the local toy store have me completely confused. It seems like there are several different sub-lines of TF toys, in varying scales. 

What I'd really like to do is assemble the crew of the Lost Light in toy form, in a shared scale. Has anyone done this, or is it possible? I've found Chromedome and Rewind in the "Titans Return" line, but am generally kind of confused by the different figure sizes and packaging. Halp!

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Hey all,

Not specifically comic related, but I thought I might be able to throw this in here.

As I think I may have mentioned before, I've really taken a shine to the MtMtE and RID series, at least up until the Revolution point (which I haven't read yet.) I have been blown away by how imaginative, well written and fun these books are, as I usually don't have a very high bar for licensed comics.

At any rate, my newfound love for these books has rekindled an interest in collecting the toys, but I am so far out of the loop, trips to the local toy store have me completely confused. It seems like there are several different sub-lines of TF toys, in varying scales. 

What I'd really like to do is assemble the crew of the Lost Light in toy form, in a shared scale. Has anyone done this, or is it possible? I've found Chromedome and Rewind in the "Titans Return" line, but am generally kind of confused by the different figure sizes and packaging. Halp!

The books are well written, and well illustrated, and I cannot say the same for the big 2 in most cases!

As far as your hunt goes, You won't be able to do it with straight Hasbro figures, you will have to get some 3rd party and custom to make to happen. I like where you head is at though! If I had the shelf space (and opened figures) I would do the same. I do recall a post at TFW2005 that is attempting this, you might want to pick up your search there.