• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

I know I'm much more of a G1er, but I have a question for everyone.

What have you gotten drawn on your sketch covers? Or, if you haven't yet, what would you get sketched on your sketch covers.

I guess I am asking for inspiration for my own sketch covers.

Depends on what the blank book is mostly. I mean drawing an Optimus on a Drift Blank cover might be ok for a personalized sketch, but a Drift sketch on a Drift book seems a little more logical.

I would say a character or scene from the book would be best, but even some of the RI covers show a scene that has 0 to do with the book. Or your Favorite bot.

The 2 Sketch MTMTE #1 1:100's I have were done by Burcham (Colorist). Tappet and Jhiaxus were the characters I got randomly, and it is only a small head picture, not a huge page spread. They had a few, but IDW sold out long ago.

If I had some of the newer Sub Variants (Issue #46 for both ongoings) IDK, Tarn and Megatron might be good fits for the MTMTE cover, Fort Max was on the Artist Editions RI and would make a great sketch, and Optimus vs. Galvatron seems to be the ongoing (Formerly RID) theme. Arcee and the other new Fem-Bots would be a good one as well.

We also have a new All Female Combiner showing to be a little popular.

You bring a very valid point. It seems to make a lot of sense. Much more sense than I have been doing in practice.

My sketch covers have all been 80s movie themes. A re-imagining of a movie poster or movie scene with G1 characters. Every time I take a request like that to an artist at a con or through the mail they sound very excited to work on it. I supposed they could be just acting nice. But it makes me happy to see that they are acting excited to do a commission like that.

If they like the subject they are drawing, then it's not really work. If you truly love IDW and what they have done with the title, then please start to embrace the foundations they have built upon. I mean, Megatron the Autobot!!!!!!! How much cooler can this get? (It can, but you wouldn't believe me.)

Interesting that people don't like the Earth stories.

I much prefer them over space/Cybertron.

Patrick

Yes a LOT of fans were completely against a return to Earth in issue #28 of RID. It has since proven to be a very impactful arc on all of TF fiction bringing in the 13 Primes, and the additions to the their religion and creation stories.

Edited by UltraMaximus

TF 50 and MTMTE 50 were both great issues. I put the RI's away already, but here are 6/10 covers available. These are the Subscription Variants, there were 3 for each book.

scan_TF50.jpg

scan_TFMTMTE50.jpg

And allow me to share some spec.....I know you guys love it. Besides issue #2 of Megatron's Trial, and him rocking that sweet Autobrand on the cover........

This book here:

scan0047.jpg

Here in the USA, this book was "accidentally" distributed at a 1:10 ratio, and the RI cover of issue #29, was sent for every sub copy ordered. There is a TON of MTMTE #29 RI covers out there, and they are cover or about, but there are hardly any of these. I had a little bit of trouble finding one of these in high grade, but one just popped up on ebay in the UK, and it was cheaper than getting one stateside if you could even find one, which you can't.

You should consider this Nick Roche cover the RI for MTMTE #29.

Here in the USA, this book was "accidentally" distributed at a 1:10 ratio, and the RI cover of issue #29, was sent for every sub copy ordered. There is a TON of MTMTE #29 RI covers out there, and they are cover or about, but there are hardly any of these. I had a little bit of trouble finding one of these in high grade, but one just popped up on ebay in the UK, and it was cheaper than getting one stateside if you could even find one, which you can't.

Where do you learn about these printing mix ups?

Where do you learn about these printing mix ups?

When I walked into my LCS on release date, and they had 5 copies of the RI, and I got the only sub cover, for a total order of 11 copies I knew something was up. I checked on line, and everywhere else was the same. My comic shop also noted the accidental switch up in distribution.

So I hoarded the 3 copies I could actually find. Sold 2, Found another just recently on ebay.uk, and bought it quickly before I posted about it. (I learned my lesson from the JS Campbell Thread, purchase first, post second),

HA! MCS says it was a "misprint" not a "distribution error", but Marcelo Matere's cover is the one marked RI that was sent out in the SUB cover order fulfillments, it actually connected with the Windblade and the RID 1:10 variants the same month as he did all 3.

They have the pictures right though, and I think the UK and other markets were fine.

scan_TF29_SUB.jpg

I'm just going to check issue #39 for anything funny. These RI #X9's for this series have been hits.

That's funny. I can't stand MCS but at least they gave some amplifying information about the issue. I have one that I received from Graham Crackers Comics as part of my subscription through them. It's probably a 9.6 if I were to send it down. Waiting to see what my MTMTE #19 RI comes back as from CGC. Nice post about the book. The RE copies for the 50s should be out soon. I talked with Emerald Knights about one and they are making it available st a convention first, then their store. I'll be heading to Botcon in April. I'm looking for #22RI. If (and that's a big if) I find multiple copies, I will let you guys know.

Just finished reading Dark Cybertron. Overall I liked it, it was maybe an issue or two too long, but other than that solid. Now on to Dawn of the Autobots.

In RI news I manged to snag a MTME 30 RI, with Megs sitting in the Lincoln Memorial. It was just sitting there on the variant shelf at my LCS. Nothing overly valuable, but I had been looking for it, and bam there it was.

Edited by FutureFlash

Will do. That's one unicron that I do have. Pretty sure I am having it pressed right now. If anyone wants anything in particular, just message me a list and I'll do my best. I'll just charge my cost + shipping and insurance. I'm not ebay.

Just finished reading Dark Cybertron. Overall I liked it, it was maybe an issue or two too long, but other than that solid. Now on to Dawn of the Autobots.

In RI news I manged to snag a MTME 30 RI, with Megs sitting in the Lincoln Memorial. It was just sitting there on the variant shelf at my LCS. Nothing overly valuable, but I had been looking for it, and bam there it was.

Great cover. BotCon had a #30 CON CVR that was a sketch variant of the RI. Notice the other cover says CVR RE. Both were available at BotCon 2014 and were limited to 300 copies each. there was also a MLP Variant....but I'm not about that life.

scan0057.jpg

scan0058.jpg

Will do. That's one unicron that I do have. Pretty sure I am having it pressed right now. If anyone wants anything in particular, just message me a list and I'll do my best. I'll just charge my cost + shipping and insurance. I'm not ebay.

Nice of you to help a TF fan out. If you do or don't even offering is cool of you.

Great cover. BotCon had a #30 CON CVR that was a sketch variant of the RI. Notice the other cover says CVR RE. Both were available at BotCon 2014 and were limited to 300 copies each. there was also a MLP Variant....but I'm not about that life.

scan0057.jpg

scan0058.jpg

Both of those are sweet, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. IDW has put out a lot of really nice variants for Transformers.

They are eBaysily found.

Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok, so................

I know you just finished Dark Cybertron. I have a not really big spoiler spoiler. He "X" is still dead.

How about that!

Read the MTMTE 28-30 arc, then RID 28+ for the return to Earth. Reads a little better that way. Now you are at that moment where the titles go in completely different directions. Reading one or the other after the Return to Earth arc in RID.

I also just noticed that the RI covers of 48-50 of both ongoings currently connect, and are drawn by Alex Milne (MTMTE Resident Artist). I'll get some scans together, but I think they will be a few more issues to each cover set.

hmm maybe I'll have to pick one up. Thanks for the link.

For reading order, where do the Windblade, Drift, Punishment and Redemption books, fit into the reading order?

Edited by FutureFlash

Nice of you to help a TF fan out. If you do or don't even offering is cool of you.

I have no problem picking anything up for people. I know there are some tough issues to pick up. As long as the requests are reasonable, I will do it. My two conditions are that I take care of myself first, and I'm limiting requests to just comics. A lot of artists will be there too, so if anyone has a blank cover they want sketched, I can see about that too. I don't know about CGC or CBCS being there to authenticate anything, but it is always an option.

Windblade Volume 1 happens simultaneously with RID & MTMTE #28's new arcs. She then Rejoins the RID books until COmbiner Wars. Read it also after MTMTE 28-30.

Punishment is not until Prime leaves Earth to return to Cybertron, and Redemption isn't until much later in Formerly RID's late 30-s or 40's but is basically the sequel to Punishment and can be read after.

There's a seller on ebay listing some of the Infiltration variants for sale. However, said seller is going to list the mini-prints separately. My question is will that make the book incomplete if it is sent to CGC for grading and get the green label? I ask more for other potential buyers than me since I already own it all.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=172141063246&alt=web

IDK what CGC will say, since the mini-prints are not part of the book, but included with them when sold new. IIRC it's like a polybagged with card issue, they might not note it, but you would have to ask CGC directly to confirm.

There's a seller on ebay listing some of the Infiltration variants for sale. However, said seller is going to list the mini-prints separately. My question is will that make the book incomplete if it is sent to CGC for grading and get the green label? I ask more for other potential buyers than me since I already own it all.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=172141063246&alt=web

I ended up getting it, because I actually didn't have that one! lol I hope you post the #22 RI and I am able to nab that too.

Since you have the 1:100's as well, if yours are sealed, it will be opened by CGC when submitted. Opening and pressing isn't exactly a bad idea. I am leaving the Comicfolio's sealed though since I will never submit them, if you have those, leave those sealed with the IDW tag.

Also, here is the #48-50 connecting covers of both titles by MTMTE's resident artist Alex Milne. Not sure what was up with Formerly RID #48-50. They didn't all connect or there was something cut out of the picture that connected them. Still awesome robot drawingz by Milne!!!!.

scantf50connected.jpg

There definitely seems to be something missing between the self titled books. It's throwing me off.

None of my Infiltration variants were sealed or had the little IDW sticker on the back flap. My eventual plan is to have most of them pressed and graded. CBCS graded a couple of mine as they were test books to see their grading before I had a CGC account. I only needed the Iron Hide variant (5c I think), but I ended up buying a lot of the whole Infiltration run for about $175. Now I have to unload the extras. On a side note, my MTMTE #19 RI just received a CGC 9.8 so I got that going for me.

In any case, my plan for Botcon is to find TF #9 (Auto Assembly), #22RI, and Orion Pax RI. I may get a sketch or two since a bunch of the artists will be there.