• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Be Continued - Those three dreaded words posted by Reinhardt_Collection

5 posts in this topic

Before the introduction of the local comic shop, as a small town youth in the 60's, the comic world initially seemed so simple and it all wrapped up neatly for me. I would travel with my mom to the grocery and drugstore and check the comic rack and get 2 comics for my quarter.

DC and Marvel both seemed to neatly wrap up a story line in a single issue. Then came spring of 1964....I went to the grocery store and started to look through the comic section and I see 2 of my favorites - Fantastic Four #25 with an awesome Hulk vs Thing battle cover and Spider-Man 11 with Doc Ock.

I get home and start reading , great stories and I am totally hooked then it happens ......Continued next Issue - both issues...What!!!

So the dreaded wait begins ... the grocery store and drugstore in town only carried a few copies of each title so if your timing was off you were totally stranded. I checked the comic rack in the stores for weeks each time my mom went to town for groceries and thankfully I found FF26 (but had to wait till the late 80's to finally get ASM 12).

I think back and it reminds me of the search thrill I still get when looking for that book I need to fill a spot in my collection. It's funny how the excitement and feeling you have when you acquire a wanted book today can take you back to another time.

Thanks for reading..

Joe

See more journals by Reinhardt_Collection

That's a great story!

Two comics (and maybe a piece of gum?) for a quarter but only to be hooked in and to ensure that your next quarter was targeted as well.

Two great books to remember buying off the rack!

Some things never change! The first bout of "waiting anxiety" I suffered was not because of continued story, but waiting for the awesome new Spidey villain promised at the end of issue 35. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with what was finally delivered.

Joe,

I remember exactly how you felt. I also remember I had three drug stores on my side of town for comics. Two were owned by the same people, thus the same comic selection. Marvel and DC. While the other drug store had mostly Gold Key, Dell and Charlton. If your friend did'nt have the issue you missed you were out of luck. I bet you were also extremely upset around 1969 when comics went to 15 cents! Only 6 comics for a dollar. They must have thought we were millionaires. At least that's what my thinking was then.