• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who are the best precode horror & sci fi artists?
1 1

63 posts in this topic

Wally Wood

Superb artistic style with a fantastic body of work!

WeirdScience19.jpg

Al Williamson

And to slip in some SciFi Fantasy, this man is hard to beat.

WeirdScience-Fantasy25.jpg

L. B. Cole

Striking, Bold, graphic covers that pop out at you. How could one have ingored a cover like this on the newsstands?

BlueBoltWeird111.jpg

Harry Anderson

As was mentioned in the Ditko thread, tremendous talent that produced many a favorite cover and story.

MysteryTales19.jpg

Bill Everett

Simply One of the best!

MysteryTales14-1.jpg

Steve Ditko

Yes, I include Ditko because of his unique style that stood out from the rest. Even though (and I agree with others) he was still developing his style, you could pick him out of the crowd of other artists in a second!

TheThing12_zpsab646239.jpg

Graham Ingles

Dripping with ichor and gruesome details enough to make the devil shudder!

HauntOfFear12_zpsad14a487.jpg

Lee Elias

A PCH workhorse if there ever was one, producing so many great covers!

BlackCatMysteries51.jpg

Frank Frazetta

Not much horror output by Frank but a talent that cannot be ignored!

GhostRider4_zpsa33be125.jpg

Norman Saunders

Some of the best painted covers in the precode era.

StrangeStoriesFromAnotherWorld2_zps63d6ce0f.jpg

Russ Heath

So many great covers and stories!

MysteryTales15-1.jpg

Joe Maneely

The great "What if he lived longer" talent that might have gone on to future fame!

MysteryTales12_zpsf30e1fb4.jpg

hm

...who was the most Ghastly...

Ingels is my favorite* as well, but I don't own a single Ingels cover. Maybe I need to rectify that.

*clear favorite if we're talking horror; if we're talking sci-fi, too, it gets tougher; Wally Wood would be right up there.

hof18.jpg

hm

Ingels is my favorite* as well, but I don't own a single Ingels cover. Maybe I need to rectify that.

*clear favorite if we're talking horror; if we're talking sci-fi, too, it gets tougher; Wally Wood would be right up there.

hof18.jpg

:luhv:

Johnny Craig seems to be quite underrated in the horror genre, but at EC he was great with the comparatively restrained, psychological horror stories, and not just the gory covers.

Wally Wood is my all-time favourite science-fiction comic artist.

For precode horror, this Reed Crandall story from Out of the Shadows #9 ranks among my favorites.

001.jpg

Yes!Yes! Mine too. Reprint of this available in the the book Four Color Fear. Also used as the cover image first printing. Great art and expression in this one. So many great artists to celebrate. Nice thread.

hm

hof18.jpg

This book is as close to perfect as a horror comic cover can be. Beautiful copy Richard!