• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, bane said:

Saw the trailer for this while in the cinema for Justice League.

The trailer looked an absolute mess IMO.

Agreed.   While I am interested in the movie (for the nostalgia factor everyone is raving about), the trailer made zero sense and, if I wasn't familiar with the source material already, I wouldn't have had a clue what it's about. 

7 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Agreed.   While I am interested in the movie (for the nostalgia factor everyone is raving about), the trailer made zero sense and, if I wasn't familiar with the source material already, I wouldn't have had a clue what it's about. 

That would be me then. I haven't read the source material so have no clue what its about. For the average movie goer this trailer makes no sense and looks a blurry mess (especially in 3D).

1 hour ago, bane said:

Saw the trailer for this while in the cinema for Justice League.

The trailer looked an absolute mess IMO.

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

I have to agree. Where certain trailers led to a response from the audience (Jumanji the most positive reaction), this was very confusing. 

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I have to agree. Where certain trailers led to a response from the audience (Jumanji the most positive reaction), this was very confusing. 

I'm so excited to see this one but I do have to agree the trailer is bla and confusing.  The lady next to me in the theater turned to her friend and say "nope" after seeing the trailer and this was the only movie that got this response.

Was the trailer really that confusing?  I actually saw the trailer before I read the book. 

The main character describes the world as it is, then describes the Oasis, then we see the oasis, and the rest of a VR race to the death featuring all manner of 80's pop culture. 

Only a small portion of that really has anything to do with the book, but it didn't confuse me. 

Also this wasn't the full trailer, this was the SDCC teaser, so I'm not panicking. Teasers are almost always incomprehensible, and this one tells its story better than that.

It probably would have been better to have a trailer that centers on the contest, but that can come with the first full actual trailer. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Was the trailer really that confusing?  I actually saw the trailer before I read the book. 

The main character describes the world as it is, then describes the Oasis, then we see the oasis, and the rest of a VR race to the death featuring all manner of 80's pop culture. 

Only a small portion of that really has anything to do with the book, but it didn't confuse me. 

Also this wasn't the full trailer, this was the SDCC teaser, so I'm not panicking. Teasers are almost always incomprehensible, and this one tells its story better than that.

It probably would have been better to have a trailer that centers on the contest, but that can come with the first full actual trailer. 

The trailer that played before Justice League was a flash of images. Then these kids marching out so they could sit synchronized at what appeared to be VR stations.  Then you had flashes of various characters, like the Iron Giant which was very clearly shown.

Without having experience from reading the backstory, I had no idea what this was trying to convey. Other than these kids link in and must be on some adventure via the avatars shown.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The trailer that played before Justice League was a flash of images. Then these kids marching out so they could sit synchronized at what appeared to be VR stations.  Then you had flashes of various characters, like the Iron Giant which was very clearly shown.

Without having experience from reading the backstory, I had no idea what this was trying to convey. Other than these kids link in and must be on some adventure via the avatars shown.

Oh, so the trailer is a different one. Is it online yet? I looked for the trailer online before I posted but every link is the 2 minute plus SDCC one. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Oh, so the trailer is a different one. Is it online yet? I looked for the trailer online before I posted but every link is the 2 minute plus SDCC one. 

I saw the one Bosco described.   With no backstory, you'd have a tough time figuring anything more out besides the bolded line above.   

Definitely saw the Iron Giant, Freddy Kruger, and the BTTF DeLorean. 

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

I saw the one Bosco described.   With no backstory, you'd have a tough time figuring anything more out besides the bolded line above.   

Definitely saw the Iron Giant, Freddy Kruger, and the BTTF DeLorean. 

Strange they would go backwards from this one, with the main character voice over giving names, and places, and background....

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Strange they would go backwards from this one, with the main character voice over giving names, and places, and background....

I was very surprised, as they have been talking this one up for a long time. So to see a confusing trailer roll out like was shown, I would have expected something better.

People complaining for nothing - it's supposed to tease the universe, not outline the plot.  Made me REALLY excited to see more.  There will be more trailers which give more context & content for those who want it all spoiled before they decide to see it.

2 minutes ago, Thawk said:

People complaining for nothing - it's supposed to tease the universe, not outline the plot.  Made me REALLY excited to see more.  There will be more trailers which give more context & content for those who want it all spoiled before they decide to see it.

Relax. I just pointed out the Jumanji trailer is what the audience really reacted to because the level of comedy and action shown.

Nobodies dumping on this beloved story.

Relax. I just pointed out the Jumanji trailer is what the audience really reacted to because the level of comedy and action shown.

Nobodies dumping on this beloved story.

I'm relaxed haha - wasn't an attack.  Just expressing that many people seem to be quickly wearing out their jump to conclusions mats lately.  

Just now, Thawk said:

I'm relaxed haha - wasn't an attack.  Just expressing that many people seem to be quickly wearing out their jump to conclusions mats lately.  

I do wish most studios would pull back more on the trailers. Man, do they give away too much nowadays.

Things that would have gotten me excited.

It didn’t make me not want to see the movie, but that’s only because I kinda know the deal with it.  

To me, it just looked like a very polished, slick sorta Deathrace.  

Wife had zero reaction to it.  

17 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It didn’t make me not want to see the movie, but that’s only because I kinda know the deal with it.  

To me, it just looked like a very polished, slick sorta Deathrace.  

Wife had zero reaction to it.  

Which is the weirdest part of the trailer including that scene....there's no "deathrace" of any kind in the book. That whole sequence has nothing to do with the novel. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Now THAT is so much better than the trailer they ran at Justice League. Much, much better!

It actually lays the groundwork for a story.

Agreed. It stopped looking like an 80's nostalgia movie, and a more coherent movie that I want to see.