• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Grails said:

Cline says he’s working on a sequel to the first novel and not the movie since there were changes. Next book is called Ready Player Two.

based on box office results, sequel should be named:

准备好球员两个

Zhǔnbèi hǎo qiúyuán liǎng gè
Edited by paperheart

Quite possibly one of the biggest movie disappointments of my life.  After reading the book several times I thought it would be a huge home run of a movie and it just wasn't.  It lost the teen angst and the 80s geek factor just seemed tame and out of sync.  I didn't hate it but it definitely felt like a Netflix direct to tv movie.

I finally saw the movie last weekend.  I'd charitably give it a 7.5/10 for preserving the basic structure and ideas of the book (which are very good and well-executed on-screen), but, it paled in comparison to the 10/10 book itself.  There were plenty of Easter eggs/random pop culture references on-screen (several of the key ones from the book are omitted, however - no Tomb of Horrors sequence!!), but, they didn't really drive the story as in the book.  In the film, Halliday's motives are not really fleshed out, nor is his love of '80s pop culture explicitly stated, and there are plenty of nods to pop culture from other decades as well to muddle the mix.  But, it was far from a nostalgic thrill-ride for me like the book was.  

I also really, really hated how Wade basically showed zero emotional reaction following the murder of a certain character; I don't know if a scene of grieving/mourning got left on the cutting room floor, but, I thought it was downright distasteful how he basically continued along as if nothing had happened. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, delekkerste said:

I finally saw the movie last weekend.  I'd charitably give it a 7.5/10 for preserving the basic structure and ideas of the book (which are very good and well-executed on-screen), but, it paled in comparison to the 10/10 book itself.  There were plenty of Easter eggs/random pop culture references on-screen (several of the key ones from the book are omitted, however - no Tomb of Horrors sequence!!), but, they didn't really drive the story as in the book.  In the film, Halliday's motives are not really fleshed out, nor is his love of '80s pop culture explicitly stated, and there are plenty of nods to pop culture from other decades as well to muddle the mix.  But, it was far from a nostalgic thrill-ride for me like the book was.  

I also really, really hated how Wade basically showed zero emotional reaction following the murder of a certain character; I don't know if a scene of grieving/mourning got left on the cutting room floor, but, I thought it was downright distasteful how he basically continued along as if nothing had happened. 

Perhaps I should read this book ….. Judy and I loved the movie, but we had no preconceived notions. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, thehumantorch said:

I loved the book

Highly recommend reading this one...or get the audio book. I LOVED this book. I appreciated the movie because of all of the easter eggs and 80's nostalgia, but the book is 100x better (as usual)

23 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Highly recommend reading this one...or get the audio book. I LOVED this book. I appreciated the movie because of all of the easter eggs and 80's nostalgia, but the book is 100x better (as usual)

Agreed, the book contains so much more than 1 movie could do justice to

The movie just had too many licensing problems to be any good. It was  logistical nightmare to be able to put all the stuff from the book
in the movie. I think they changed what made sense and did the best with what they could.

This is a true case where the book is 5x better then the movie that gave an valiant effort, but fell short for all types of reasons.