• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Looks like it in the previews

This does not bode well for it being a good movie.

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Taxi Driver?

He seems scared for no reason

Dances With Wolves... VO is not a red flag for me, for the majority of the audience who have not read the book the exposition may be necessary and preferable to a forced dialogue situation.

3 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Taxi Driver?

He seems scared for no reason

VO can work-but it's usually a severe detriment.  DUNE.  With the car chase scenes I have worries.   You dont have to use either VO or forced dialogue to make things clear for the audience-all you need is a good screen writer.  

Example: in terminator 2 Cameron wanted to explain how a terminator could become human acting.  He filmed a long scene with john and sarah taking out the cyborg's chip and resetting it.  Then Cameron said wait-let's just have him say 'the more contact I have with humans, the more I learn'.  Thats good screen writing.

Edited by kav

Another good example is Rambo.  In the book it's clear that he is a vet.  Instead of doing some dumb voice overs like 'ever since I came back from Nam' etc to give the audience this information, which was critical that they knew at the outset, they added a scene at the beginning where he visits the family of a fallen comrade.  They didnt use clunky dialogue either to get it across.  'You look like you could use a drink'  'Yeah I just got back from Nam and I'm shell shocked'.  VO is the easy, lazy, sloppy way of delivering information to the audience.  I hate it.

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Another good example is Rambo.  In the book it's clear that he is a vet.  Instead of doing some dumb voice overs like 'ever since I came back from Nam' etc to give the audience this information, which was critical that they knew at the outset, they added a scene at the beginning where he visits the family of a fallen comrade.  They didnt use clunky dialogue either to get it across.  'You look like you could use a drink'  'Yeah I just got back from Nam and I'm shell shocked'.  VO is the easy, lazy, sloppy way of delivering information to the audience.  I hate it.

That is your personal preference a voice over does not mean lazy, easy, and sloppy. A VO narration does not mean the film is going to be ruined. I can come up with plenty of examples of where it is great. 

15 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

That is your personal preference a voice over does not mean lazy, easy, and sloppy.

Not just my personal preference, it is mentioned in every book on screen writing I've ever read-and I've read dozens.

It CAN work.  But mostly it doesn't work.  If it's used just to exposit-that won't work.  It's obvious and sloppy.  Look a one legged football player can be good but i don't recommend one legged football players.  But certainly it can work great-as in shawshank or christmas story.  But in those cases the VO is used as a good story teller telling a story, not just some dude explaining the plot, as seems to be the case in Ready Player One.

Edited by kav

Just finished the book tonight, after putting it off for more than a year the constant barrage of friend's recommendations became too much to fend off. 

Sweet Jeebus it's sublime. It just works on several levels. Fantasy, Adventure, Emotion, Cautionary Tale, Wish Fulfillment, Nostalgia.....it's just great. 

I wonder how they'll be able to translate this all to the screen. There's SO MUCH licensed material in the book (movies, songs, toys, cartoons, tv shows, literature, comics, video games, etc) that actually using it all in a film would cost more in licensing fees than the regular film budget would be. 

I look forward to it more than any film (including Last Jedi or any of the Superhero flicks) that's due out in the next few years. 

29 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Just finished the book tonight, after putting it off for more than a year the constant barrage of friend's recommendations became too much to fend off. 

Sweet Jeebus it's sublime. It just works on several levels. Fantasy, Adventure, Emotion, Cautionary Tale, Wish Fulfillment, Nostalgia.....it's just great. 

I wonder how they'll be able to translate this all to the screen. There's SO MUCH licensed material in the book (movies, songs, toys, cartoons, tv shows, literature, comics, video games, etc) that actually using it all in a film would cost more in licensing fees than the regular film budget would be. 

I look forward to it more than any film (including Last Jedi or any of the Superhero flicks) that's due out in the next few years. 

i just picked up a copy, i'll move it up in the queue

3 hours ago, Reader said:

I loved the book as well, even made it required reading for a Grails Game a few years back.  I’m starting his second book Armada right now.  That was optioned for a movie before he even wrote it.

Wasn’t as good but still worth a read.

My thoughts on this. (1) RP1 was an amazing and fun book. Lots of nostalgia. Not conceptually groundbreaking, but a great addition to slightly futuristic VR storytelling. Ernie Cline was born in ‘72, and this book clearly was a tribute to his childhood and that of most of us who grew up in the 80’s. (2) Armada was terrible. Complete ripoff of The Last Starfighter and Enders Game. (3) I worry for this movie. While Spielberg is Spielberg, there is just no way this movie can capture the scope of references and source material which made the book so special. Spielberg has already come out and said he is not going to canabolize his own IP with this. It cannot be made in one film.  It should have been made as an animated trilogy with more money spent securing IP rights.  I hope I’m wrong.