• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Finally I saw a good trailer.

I went to see Black Panther and they had a different Ready One trailer.

This one starts out like the book with the owner of the Oasis stating it can all be yours.  I was really worried Spielberg didnt
get this book, but after this trailer I feel alot better.

That is so good to hear, as of 5 minutes ago I finished this book.

I just started this book today and halfway through already. I haven’t even finished and I already can’t wait to see the movie. The trailer are odd, but I love the way they showed the “stacks.” They are even worse looking than I had visualized them.

12 hours ago, CAHokie said:

I am looking forward to this movie like nothing else I can remember in a long time.

I’ve never been more scared and also looking forward to a movie in awhile.  I’m really scared they are going so far away from the story in the book it will kill the whole thing.

It’s very possible.  I am going to give them a lot of leeway though because it is very hard to translate a lot of that book to the screen. You can already see that the characters will physically interact way before, and at different levels then they did in the book. As long as the spirit of the novel is there I be ok with it. I trust Spielberg to do the best possible job.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, The Brain said:
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, fastballspecial said:

Finally I saw a good trailer.

I went to see Black Panther and they had a different Ready One trailer.

This one starts out like the book with the owner of the Oasis stating it can all be yours.  I was really worried Spielberg didnt
get this book, but after this trailer I feel alot better.

That is so good to hear, as of 5 minutes ago I finished this book.

Well what did you think after reading it?

I really enjoyed it, but I what liked better was all and I mean all my co-workers my age loved this book.

It was a hot commodity borrowing it for the last few months.

Its been a long time since a book made me feel like a kid again. This and Stranger Things has made it a great
year for me from Movies and TV.

Edited by fastballspecial

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Well what did you think after reading it?

It was well written, fast passed, and thoroughly showcased the 80's pop culture.

It was a quest, within a maze, within a puzzle, at the pace of a video game.

Will be seeing the movie.

Edited by The Brain

On 04/03/2018 at 3:19 AM, fastballspecial said:

Me too I love the soundtrack. I know some characters wont be there I want, but it seems like they have the idea right.

Impressed to hear Rush's 'Tom Sawyer' blasting out of an IMAX audio system during a good bit of the UK trailer, shown before Black Panther.

Edited by Ken Aldred

What characters do you think will be missing?  Each new trailer makes me more excited but does show major changes. 

The one thing that interests me change wise is the group running as people and then flashing to them running in battle. Same with people falling off the couch and stuff.

Now that would be similar to modern VR but I thought in the book, even the low grade government school issued VR didn’t require you to move much in real life.

Reviews are coming out from the SxSW preview.  Verdict is generally a big thumbs up! 

Audience went wild.  Standing ovations! 

Movie significantly differs from the book, but critics are saying that it is an improvement.

I think this will be a huge huge movie.  And I can't wait to see the Iron Giant scene!

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, CAHokie said:

What characters do you think will be missing?  Each new trailer makes me more excited but does show major changes. 

The one thing that interests me change wise is the group running as people and then flashing to them running in battle. Same with people falling off the couch and stuff.

Now that would be similar to modern VR but I thought in the book, even the low grade government school issued VR didn’t require you to move much in real life.

For those that didn't read the book...

Spoiler

Most of the Japanese animation and video game characters, the Shogun Warriors, Mecha-Godzilla, Battle of the Planets, Voltron and Lion-bots, Ultraman, Mobile Suit Gundam...I would wager those will be left out/replaced with something already in the licensing stable. It's a whole separate licensing issue I think. Which is a shame. I really wanted to see Raydeen throw down against Mecha-Godzilla, and the Ultra-Man beta capsule being used.  I think we're going to get a lot of Iron Giant instead. Which makes me sad, being that he's a late 90's creation. 

Also I have a feeling we're not going to get some of the same clues, worlds...not sure how they'll get Wizards of the Coast to let them use Tomb of Horrors, and get the rights to Monty Python, and Zork, along with all the other licensing necessary to stay true.  Then you've got all the video games used, and their rights. Also, you have little things like the Voight-Kampf from Blade Runner which will get cut. The budget for licensing and royalty payments could be more than the effects and cgi budget when they were done if they were really true to the book. Looks like they are spending cash on song rights though. That's a good thing. 

I'm really hopeful they cram it to the gils with period correct 80's junk...from wall to wall. Spielberg was quoted as saying he wasn't willing to gut his own IP for this film, but this film really needs a lot of IP from a lot of sources to really ring true. 

I'm prepared for this to be very little of what I read aside from what the Oasis is and the character names. I just hope it works.