• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready Player One

148 posts in this topic

Oh, I thought he meant the human characters. Yeah, Ultraman was replaced with the big guy and a lot of those characters will be replaced because they are not as well known as well as licensing. I thought I saw Voltron though?

The challenges will be changed for sure. I don’t feel they would have translated to the screen very well though a game of Joust vs a Demigod would have made a great visual.  

I am happy with a lot of the references though.  You can see the car from Christine, A-Team, Mad Max and obviously the Delorean. Freddy and Chucky are cool. 

I have a  feeling while watching it the first time I will miss 80% of the stuff, lol

4 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I've never read the book...looking at all the trailers, just HOW many pop culture references are in this movie? 

My best guess for the movie, (when viewed in detail),will  number well into the hundreds, these will include

movies, music, books, and of course video games. 

I saw the preview at Black Panther .............. and it looks profoundly awesome. It may have to be one of the three movies per year that I can afford to see at the theater. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

finally finished listing the book it only took 6 days. and yes a lot of the robots from the final fight would be replaced the only one I can think that they can use would be Mecha Godzilla. 

I have tried to get people I know that are into 80’s stuff or geek stuff in general to read the book or watch the movie. Most just seem uninterested. Forbid someone actually sit down and read a book for once.

One commented they dont want to read a young adult type book. Im like, its not a YA book, grrrrr... Another recurring comment is, I already saw the Matrix.

I worry that It might not do well at first because people just dont get it. Hopefully its great and word to mouth will get people to see it.

Saw it tonight. 

Not bad. Fun movie. I really did miss what they left out, for selfish nostalgic reasons, but the replacements they used weren’t horrible. Very well made film. 

If you’ve read the book, leave all but the basic thematic structure at the door. The fact that all that was changed didn’t ruin a book I loved tells me it was well executed. 

It seems to be getting decent reviews, not great, but pretty good. 

Here's my review, as a fan of the book.

Spoiler

A flaming bag of dog poop left on the front porch of America. 

And my girlfriend liked it even less than I did. 

As Frank Sinatra once said: "Regrets, I've had a few. Then again, too few to mention - except seeing Ready Player One. That one really stands out."

7 hours ago, paperheart said:

That's where I am on it. 
I had to keep reminding myself not to hate it and just take it as it was shown instead of making mental notes of all the changes from the book. 

I'm a little sad they couldn't (didn't want to) make the movie that was more faithful, at least in pop culture references, to the book...but I saw that coming from the trailers and Spielberg's commentary regarding what IP he was and was not willing to use. Including characters from the 90's, etc. was a little cheap though.

Wasn't horrible, just a missed opportunity to make a real love letter to the 80's, which is what the book was. 

My review would not have been as positive but they really nailed the music, especially the scene with Blue Monday. 

I can't wait to see it!  Will be doing so tonight.  So far it is getting far better than average reviews, and the geeks I know who saw it earlier loved it.

I was a teen in the early 80s, but I don't need a faithful adaptation of the book.  Most folks are saying the movie improves on the book by the way the character relationships are changed.  That was a major goal of Spielberg, and I trust his gut.  I know they can't get the rights to do a straight up adaptation, and since the author was a principal screenwriter, I'm not concerned by changes.  RP1 does not have a Harry Potter following who demand strict adherence to their bible, so there was no pressure to follow it note for note and that would have made a boring movie.  I am psyched by the use of the Iron Giant (a great great great late 90s movie), and won't lament them eliminating a two hour Pacman game.  

31 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I can't wait to see it!  Will be doing so tonight.  So far it is getting far better than average reviews, and the geeks I know who saw it earlier loved it.

I was a teen in the early 80s, but I don't need a faithful adaptation of the book.  Most folks are saying the movie improves on the book by the way the character relationships are changed.  That was a major goal of Spielberg, and I trust his gut.  I know they can't get the rights to do a straight up adaptation, and since the author was a principal screenwriter, I'm not concerned by changes.  RP1 does not have a Harry Potter following who demand strict adherence to their bible, so there was no pressure to follow it note for note and that would have made a boring movie.  I am psyched by the use of the Iron Giant (a great great great late 90s movie), and won't lament them eliminating a two hour Pacman game.  

I like the relationships , that was an improvement in the film. I agree. 

However, it was softened a great deal for pg 13 and for young audiences.