• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

A little better, but why all the lovey-dovey stuff all of a sudden.

They covered Saru's story and his people before. And this week didn't need to rehash it again. Singing, elders - all not needed.

I noticed Jonathan Frakes has become much more involved and it really shows - the impetus and drive of this season has been swept away by one of the 'old guard' - he was in Picard (in one of the worst episodes) and directed the poor Georgiou arc of the last 2 eps.

Stick with the new writers and directors - they made this season a refreshing change.

Now with Frakes on board we find that the burn was caused by 

Spoiler

An emotionally stunted Kelpian 'Harry Potter' stuck in a holodeck Hogwarts complete with his own dementor - who blew up every Starship in the universe when he had a tantrum - C'mon!

That was pathetic - another Star Trek 'God-child' moment (as in every single series on Star-Trek had at least one), the self-doubting new captain (for gooodness sake at least promote her to Lieutenant) and the old fave 'oops we lost our ship again' story.  Bloody Frakes.

I'm just so disappointed in how much the series has completely lost it's way.

It was about rebuilding the Federation, not storytime with Saru and Hugh.

The Orion captain is possibly the worst actress I've ever seen, adding to the downturn of what had the potential to be the Best Star trek season ever.

They need to refocus on the story, and drop the padding out of recent episodes by filling it with random outpourings of "feelings". 

The story has advanced - but it could have, SHOULD have, been done in an action packed, sci-fi way.

They can still turn it around. Just concentrate on the story. Turn up the action, and stop with the silly fantasy padding. The writing in the last 3 weeks has been sloppy.

This could have been a dynamic episode, but it looks like its the first of a 3 parter.

Its not just me - IMDB ratings have dropped, viewers are down, and reviews are harsh to say the least.

It worked because it was fresh - you get the same old people writing and directing, you get the same old shmuck. You use Frakes, you get rehashed storylines.

Really, really disappointed with the last 3 episodes.

5/10

@Bosco685

Edited by Beige

On 12/25/2020 at 9:19 PM, Beige said:

A little better, but why all the lovey-dovey stuff all of a sudden.

They covered Saru's story and his people before. And this week didn't need to rehash it again. Singing, elders - all not needed.

I noticed Jonathan Frakes has become much more involved and it really shows - the impetus and drive of this season has been swept away by one of the 'old guard' - he was in Picard (in one of the worst episodes) and directed the poor Georgiou arc of the last 2 eps.

Stick with the new writers and directors - they made this season a refreshing change.

Now with Frakes on board we find that the burn was caused by 

Reveal hidden contents

An emotionally stunted Kelpian 'Harry Potter' stuck in a holodeck Hogwarts complete with his own dementor - who blew up every Starship in the universe when he had a tantrum - C'mon!

That was pathetic - another Star Trek 'God-child' moment (as in every single series on Star-Trek had at least one), the self-doubting new captain (for gooodness sake at least promote her to Lieutenant) and the old fave 'oops we lost our ship again' story.  Bloody Frakes.

I'm just so disappointed in how much the series has completely lost it's way.

It was about rebuilding the Federation, not storytime with Saru and Hugh.

The Orion captain is possibly the worst actress I've ever seen, adding to the downturn of what had the potential to be the Best Star trek season ever.

They need to refocus on the story, and drop the padding out of recent episodes by filling it with random outpourings of "feelings". 

The story has advanced - but it could have, SHOULD have, been done in an action packed, sci-fi way.

They can still turn it around. Just concentrate on the story. Turn up the action, and stop with the silly fantasy padding. The writing in the last 3 weeks has been sloppy.

This could have been a dynamic episode, but it looks like its the first of a 3 parter.

Its not just me - IMDB ratings have dropped, viewers are down, and reviews are harsh to say the least.

It worked because it was fresh - you get the same old people writing and directing, you get the same old shmuck. You use Frakes, you get rehashed storylines.

Really, really disappointed with the last 3 episodes.

5/10

@Bosco685

I am two episodes behind due to other shows my wife wanted to watch together (Castle Rock being one of them). I have some catching up to do. :popcorn:

Despite Frakes returning to the directors seat - and bringing some truly cringe inducing 'Frakes favorite storylines' - it's an improvement on the last few.

For some reason Osira now speaks as if she is in the British Royal Family, and Burnham really, really is the queen of McGuffins in this one. 

Don't get me started on the 'lie-detector' - it's truly embarrassing (Poor old Oded Fehr had to act alongside it - you could see the WTF on his face!)

And of course, 'feelings'.

However, the action ramps up, special effects are good - and lovely twist at the end.

There's still hope for this season yet.

7 /10

Annnd we're finished.

Being too heavy on 'feelings' again detracted from some very good special effects, and a reasonably satisfying ending, with the plot firmly laid out for season 4.

However, what could have been great , finished being just okay.

Which is quite a shame really.

Ep 13

6.5 / 10

Season

6/10

Nice finishing touch with Lt Sahil.

8 hours ago, drotto said:

Sorry, a person court marshaled for starting a war could never make it to captain.  I keep trying to cut this show a break, but this is stupid.

If you do some research, you'll be surprised at the historic figures that went from court-martialed and later treated as a hero.

William 'Billy' Mitchell -- 'The father of the United States Air Force'

Was Jackie Robinson Court-Martialed?

So if it is found out later the court-martial was mistaken, such harsh actions are dismissed.

I'll be here all day. Try the Romulan ale! :tink:

I finished Season 3 yesterday.

I have to agree they went for the emotional team ending in the end. But then I recognize since its inception that is what Star Trek has been about with Kirk, Spock and McCoy: family.

star_trek.png.04d116f2c1c5c464b8ae6ab5572a5026.png

I really like how they ended the season with TOS theme playing during the closeout scene. That was really nicely done. And the Gene Roddenberry quote.

Overall I would give it a 7.0/10 and look forward to the next season. Not perfect. But I wasn't expecting perfection - from any show.

Star Trek: Discovery season 3 revealed that the Federation still has a President in the 32nd century, and while the President was only mentioned in passing and never seen, there is evidence to suggest that the mysterious character Kovich might fit the bill.

The Star Trek franchise has explored storylines about the Federation President before, mostly in the Star Trek film series and in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. For much of Discovery's third season, it seemed as though the character of Admiral Charles Vance was the man now in charge of both Starfleet and the Federation — until Vance revealed to Osyraa that he had been authorized to speak to her on the President's behalf during the penultimate episode of season 3.

Vance, however, did not reveal the President's name or identity, leaving the character something of a mystery similar to the character of Kovich. Played by legendary horror direction David Cronenberg, Kovich was introduced in season 3, episode 5, and featured in cameo appearances throughout the season, including in the finale. The character has been an enigma from his introduction, and besides his name and the fact that he is in some way affiliated with Starfleet, the audience has been given very little information about him.

With the reveal of the existence of a Federation President, however, Kovich becomes a viable candidate for the position. His unusual appearance and unexplained participation in many key storylines during season 3, coupled with his extensive knowledge about current and past Federation affairs, all seem to point to him being in a position of relative power within Starfleet. Additionally, Kovich is set to return for Star Trek: Discovery season 4, where hopefully his true identity as the Federation President will be revealed.

Kovich may have a Starfleet badge, but he does not act like a typical Starfleet officer. Throughout the season, the character was involved in many disparate Starfleet and Federation affairs, from participating in the initial debriefs of Discovery's crew (more specifically Emperor Georgiou's debrief) to helping Admiral Vance strategize during Osyraa's attack on Federation Headquarters in the season finale. Vance also seems to trust Kovich, and talks to him as an equal instead of a subordinate, suggesting that if Kovich is a Starfleet officer then the two of them are of roughly equal rank. Of course, it is almost impossible to tell what Kovich's rank might be, since during his time on screen he has only worn a nondescript dark suit instead of a Starfleet uniform.

It is possible the Kovich's strange behavior and appearance are a result of him being a high-ranking member of Section 31. This is something that has been theorized by fans during the course of the season, as an explanation for Kovich's lack of typical uniform and his interest in Emperor Georgiou. However, Kovich's interest in Georgiou can just as easily be explained by him being Federation President. As the head of a Federation made so vulnerable by The Burn, Kovich would likely take the potential threat of a rogue Terran like Georgiou seriously, and given what seems to be his unique personality, it is not surprising that he might want to interrogate her himself instead of leaving it to someone under him.

It also seems unlikely that the Star Trek: Discovery writers would choose to be so secretive about Kovich's identity if he were a member of Section 31, as they have not shied away from a deeper exploration of the organization in the past. Additionally, Kovich being a member of Section 31 does not necessarily explain why he is not in uniform. Section 31 agents have been known to have their own uniforms in the past, and Kovich's suit is not like the typical black leather garb agents have tended to wear in other parts of the franchise.

I actually was wondering what his role was at Starfleet.

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I actually was wondering what his role was at Starfleet.

I wondered if he was a 'super Artificial Intelligence' - to allow room for Control to maybe re-appear.

That's a typical Frakes 'never learn from your mistakes' classical move!

Star Trek: Discovery has won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Visual Effects in a Single Episode. Discovery won the award for the episode "Su'Kal," which sees Saru (Doug Jones), Dr. Hugh Culber (Wilson Cruz), and Adira Tal (Blu del Barrio) entering a space station consumed by the holographic nightmares of Su'Kal (Bill Irwin), a Kelpien who'd lived on the station alone since watching the rest of its crew, including his mother, die. The effects team created an entire dark fantasy world the away team explored, including the monster from a Kelpien myth stalking Su'Kal. The award was specifically granted to lead VFX supervisor Jason Zimmerman and his team, including Ante Dekovic, Aleksandra Kochoska, Charles Collyer, Alexander Wood, Ivan Kondrup Jensen, Kristen Prahl, Toni Pykalaniemi, and Leslie Chung.

This is Star Trek: Discovery's first Visual Effects win at the Emmys after being nominated for three consecutive years and its second Emmy Awards win overall. Star Trek: Discovery beat out fellow nominees The Crown, The Nevers, Vikings, and The Umbrella Academy to win the award.

Finally watched all 3 seasons. I liked season 1. Season 2 seemed to have lost it’s way. The Red Angel story did nothing for me except stagnate the series. Season 3 had some redemption as there was more moving around space  and visiting different planets etc as a Star Trek series should have. I didn’t like the Su’Kal part of the season at all. 
Hoping season 4 improves.