• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

STAR TREK: Exclusive! 'Trek' is Going To Return to TV

So, GREAT news, Trekkers, CBS is looking to bring Star Trek back to TV.

The last we heard of a Star Trek TV series, was around 2006 before the Abrams movie planted its flag and destroyed most of what we knew (except Spock and - presumably the plot of Star Trek: Enterprise) there were two competing versions: Bryce Zabel (writer, Dark Skies) and J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, but I like crediting him as the good writer on The Real Ghostbusters) pitched a version called “Star Trek: Reboot the Universe” that actually made it online in PDF form.

The second was developed closer to the JJ reboot and was written by producer Geoffrey Thorne, novelist and writer on things like Leverage and Criminal Intent and was called Star Trek: Federation and was conceptualized with producer Robert Burnett, Bryan Singer (the X-Men director and producer of TV’s House among others) and Christopher (director of Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation). This other series wouldn’t reboot the Star Trek universe, but would vault it forward past the DS9 and Voyager series timelines into a far flung future where the Utopia Federation that we knew from other TV series had become boring and complacent.

We don’t have too many details about the new Star Trek series CBS is going to get working on, but I spent some time filling you in on Federation, because it seems like the same people who made that pitch could be involved. Bryan Singer's name has been mentioned for the new CBS Trek as a possible Executive Producer through his Bad Hat Harry productions. While "Star Trek: Reboot the Universe" was invalidated by 2008's movie Trek, Star Trek: Federation still has a trio of enthusiastic producers, a --script and a writer ready to go should CBS decide to give Singer the ahead to develop this new series.

:wishluck:

With Netflix I watched Enterprise and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And how much I missed that universe. Now I'm slowly going back through ST:NG episodes...

Star Trek really deserves to be an ongoing tv serial. But the whole "far flung future where the Utopia Federation that we knew from other TV series had become boring and complacent" sounds somewhat goofy. They'd be crazy to discard all the Universe-building they've managed to create over decades.

With Netflix I watched Enterprise and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And how much I missed that universe. Now I'm slowly going back through ST:NG episodes...

Star Trek really deserves to be an ongoing tv serial. But the whole "far flung future where the Utopia Federation that we knew from other TV series had become boring and complacent" sounds somewhat goofy. They'd be crazy to discard all the Universe-building they've managed to create over decades.

It might be just me, but I kinda got sick Utopian feel of the original 60's vision in later incarnations. Sometimes, a familiar formula can get shaken up a little (the current movies), for a different perspective for another generation. With this, I'm actually excited that this series might boldly go where the franchise has never gone before. (thumbs u

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I just hope they don't try to morph ST in to some Star Wars wannabe, Rebels vs. an evil Federation type stuff, all edgy and anarchy.

At it's core Star Trek has always reflected back the best of humanity. Interesting morality tales. Explorers.

But, who can say. "Breaking Bad In Space" could be the best thing eva. :grin:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I just hope they don't try to morph ST in to some Star Wars wannabe, Rebels vs. an evil Federation type stuff, all edgy and anarchy.

At it's core Star Trek has always reflected back the best of humanity. Interesting morality tales. Explorers.

But, who can say. "Breaking Bad In Space" could be the best thing eva. :grin:

Gotcha. (thumbs u

Oh, I have had tons of ideas when it comes to Star Trek. If only I could write a book. Maybe one day I'll try....

Tholian Web. Why not expand on a race that was only mentioned in one episode. Wide open.

The failed spin-off from Star Trek that was supposed to have Teri Garr in it "Assignment Earth", Byrne tried doing a little something to it in comic form, but I'm really surprised none of these fan groups have tried to do something with it in film. FYI, if you haven't checked out some of the fan films out there they are amazing.

I think every time I watch the original episodes I come up with a new idea. Always love seeing what they come up with.

Paramount Invites ‘Star Trek’ Fan to Pitch New TV Series

ince that first letter-writing campaign, Star Trek fans have proven their loyalty to the series. There hasn’t been a new television series since Star Trek: Enterprise was cancelled in 2005, and while there has been the occasional talk of “Star Trek fatigue” over the years, the fact remains that hundreds of thousands of fans worldwide are hungry for more. One such fan is Michael Gummelt, and he’s about to go where no fan has gone before.

TrekMovie.com reports that Paramount Pictures has invited Gummelt to pitch a new Star Trek TV series. However, the most interesting part is that Gummelt isn’t a professional in the entertainment industry – just an avid Star Trek fan. Over the last twenty years, Gummelt has worked on creating the series known as Star Trek Uncharted and building support for the concept online. This marks the first time that an enthusiast rather than a professional has been given the opportunity to pitch their show at Paramount.

“I can now officially announce that I do, indeed, have an invitation to come pitch Star Trek Uncharted at Paramount this summer! As far as I know, this is the first time a fan (not an established industry insider) has been invited to pitch a Star Trek TV series. This is obviously extremely exciting and I’m doing my best to get support for it from industry professionals.”

:applause:

First Reactions To CBS' STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Revealed Following Premiere

597afec8a4d8fc500cd428dc7808ded3259c1632

While the full review embargo for CBS' Star Trek: Discovery doesn't lift until the show officially airs this Sunday, the upcoming science-fiction show had it's premiere yesterday and those fortunate enough to be present have taken to Twitter to give their impressions of the show's first 2 episodes.

mvsS4G8.png

dBlTGVq.png

gmc3zKv.png

Premiere kicks off tonight.

What Time Does 'Star Trek: Discovery' Start?

Star Trek: Discovery’s 15-episode first season kicks off with a special two-part premiere. In the United States, the first hour of the premiere will broadcast on CBS on Sunday, September 24th at 8:30 PM ET following NFL Football and 60 Minutes.

The first episode of the premiere, "The Vulcan Hello," will be simultaneously available on the CBS All Access streaming service, which will be the show’s new home for the remainder of the season.

"The Vulcan Hello" synopsis reads, "While patrolling Federation space, the U.S.S. Shenzhou encounters an object of unknown origin, putting First Officer Michael Burnham to her greatest test yet."

The second episode of Star Trek: Discovery, "Battle at the Binary Star, will be available exclusively on CBS All Access at 9:30 PM ET the same night.

Future episodes of Star Trek: Discovery will be released Sundays at 8:30 PM ET on CBS All Access.