• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

I liked this episode but still have trouble getting a Star Trek feel to the show. I am having some trouble getting attached to the characters.  Burnam is a jerk and a Mary Sue, and the Captian is very cold.  The writers want you to like her so badly, and seem to be trying too hard with it.  Also thr blatant disregard for chain of command with so many of the plots seems very anti federation.

I did think a few things that were ment to be twists seem to be heavily telegraphed.

Spoiler

1. The hidden Klingon.  This also somewhat helps to rectify why they look difference t khan in TOS.

2. The last spore jump going bad I also saw a mile away.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:51 PM, darkstar said:

The decision to put this on the all access sub service is all but guaranteed to kill this show.

That might be what they said when they made ST TNG a direct to syndicate show sold to another network rather than a regular slot on one of the big 3.  It had never been done before.  The interesting thing here is they are also judging and testing their streaming apps success based on this show as their main anchor for content.  Perhaps they're betting on the grittiness of this show (ala Netflix formula) and it's loyal fans to buoy their streaming base.  If ST DIS fails, so might their stream.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:37 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I enjoyed the f-bombs. 

This is also why it is only on streaming.  The only way CBS could get away with as edgy or gritty of a show while not losing out to other streaming services is to take it off broadcast which is subject to numerous language and content restrictions that would have limited the language and situations they've portrayed. 

My other thoughts on this show are:

Klingons: while I really don't like their representation here, it seems that they are trying to portray a fringe and radicalized faction within the klingon empire as well as a possible evolutionary deviation or mutation from the race we've come to know that may possibly be explained later.  There's also a thinly veiled political portrayal of the radicalism of religion off-shoot that they represent following tradition from other Star Trek series where the different races were analogous to various real-world antagonistic or allied regimes.  It's possible that the result of this conflict and its outcome will fit into where the Klingon race and relations with ST TOS begins.

If Roddenberry were alive I don't think he would have had a problem with the special effects some have mentioned other than the continuity of the display and use of technology. The main reason they didn't show the mangled bodies back then was due to limited budget and special effects as well as sensitivity to broadcast standards/PG ratings.  However, he was known to be very contradictory in his own efforts on ST TNG when it came to preserving his vision. Of course, after his death the TNG producers attribute the success of TNG's turnaround to him no longer being around to dictate and confound the writers and producers.

Lastly, I agree that Orville has done a much better job capturing the imagination and presenting the type of story and plot that many of us are used to and long for from TOS and TNG.  The adventure of exploration, discovery of "strange new worlds and civilations", and encounters that are mind-blowing.  They involve a certain Twilight zone and outer limits style or a controversial juxtaposition of current political hot topics like the conflict on a rare female infant in an all-male race as a metaphor for views on homosexuality and gender identity in our current times.  Or the bio-ship adrift in space for thousands of years with primitive inhabitants that have long since forgotten and are oblivious to the fact that they are in fact on a space ship rather than a planet. 

I can see that ST DIS has shifted gears quickly from it's cinematic conflict driven first 2 episodes to a more familiar if not formulaic exploration and discovery-based plots.  And I really like that they are doing their research and tying in to events and characters that are ST cannon.

Now that the season is over I will wait to see if it appears on another streaming channel I already pay for or I may just have to bite the bullet and pay for 1 month of streaming access to binge it and then cancel.

22 minutes ago, justafan said:

Now that the season is over I will wait to see if it appears on another streaming channel I already pay for or I may just have to bite the bullet and pay for 1 month of streaming access to binge it and then cancel.

It won't be on another streaming service. This is only the half-season finale anyway. New episodes start back up in a few months. 

LORCA!

William Shatner Blocks Jason Isaacs On Twitter Following 'Star Trek' Comments

star-trek-discovery-cameo-william-shatne

It seems William Shatner did not take too kindly to Jason Isaacs' comments about the former Star Trek star appearing on Star Trek: Discovery.

Isaacs today tweeted that Shatner has blocked him on Twitter and made some jokes about the event.

JyyhyH6.png

The blockage follows Isaacs stating in an interview that he wasn’t keen on Shatner making a cameo appearance on Star Trek: Discovery.

“Someone asked which cast members from the existing series would you like to guest star – I think people watch good drama shows and they completely suspend their disbelief, they feel like they’re looking through the keyhole at another world, f you do it well enough,” Isaacs explains. “If you have stunt celebrity cameo casting, it completely pulls them out of it. They feel like they’re watching a Saturday Night Live sketch.

“Kirk doesn’t come along for ten years and when we meet him, he’s 26, so it would be a weird timeline if they met. So I just hope people believe our stories, are engaged with them, and I’m happy to meet Will Shatner in real life in a restaurant.”

Well, I was pretty blah about this series, until the break finale.  It could end up being one of the greatest Trek series of all time if:

Spoiler

All of the non-trek-like elements are explained because this series has been SET in an alternate universe and now they are stuck going from universe to universe Voyager meets Quantum Leap style.

'Star Trek: Discovery' Is One of Netflix's Most-Watched Family Shows of 2017

Star Trek: Discovery is one of the shows most-watched on Netflix as a family in 2017.

Star Trek: Discovery came in at number four on Netflix’s list of “The Shows That Brought Us Together in 2017,” Behind Stranger Things, 13 Reasons Why, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

“Whether for the adventure, Chief Hopper or bromance (#DadSteve), Netflix members ranked Stranger Things as the top show to watch together as a family,” the Netflix report reads. “Nostalgia also scored top points for family watching via Star Trek: Discovery, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and Fuller House.”

Here’s Netflix’s complete list of show’s most-watched as a family:

• Stranger Things
  • 13 Reasons Why
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • Star Trek Discovery
  • Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
  • Riverdale
  • Fuller House
  • Chef's Table
  • Atypical
  • Anne with E

6 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Did anyone watch the new episode last night? I've got it but haven't watched it yet. I'm watching football tonight so I won't get to it until tomorrow. 

Outstanding!

It's a mirror universe episode. And there is definitely no 'easy' throughout.

Edited by Bosco685

Great episode. It developed the plot quite a bit and really addressed:

Spoiler

The theory we were talking about earlier, that Lt. Tyler (New Head of Security) had some kind of surgical procedure and may have the consciousness, at some level or another, of the Klingon Voq. Looks like now there's a way for Klingons to "overlay" a consciousness on top of someone else's by breaking certain bones? I didn't really understand the doctor's explanation...

32 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Great episode. It developed the plot quite a bit and really addressed:

Hide contents

The theory we were talking about earlier, that Lt. Tyler (New Head of Security) had some kind of surgical procedure and may have the consciousness, at some level or another, of the Klingon Voq. Looks like now there's a way for Klingons to "overlay" a consciousness on top of someone else's by breaking certain bones? I didn't really understand the doctor's explanation...

And I guess with the doctor...

Spoiler

...we won't find out further details about his explanation.

:eek:

On 1/8/2018 at 6:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

And I guess with the doctor...

Hide contents

...we won't find out further details about his explanation.

:eek:

Spoiler

I think they were simply implying that his bones had been broken to make him smaller and appear more Human.  He had a very traumatic whole body cosmetic surgery as the average Klingon in this version of Star Trek all appear to be 6 1/2 feet tall and about 275 lbs plus. Way larger than your average person. Tyler appears to be just over 6 feet and maybe 200 lbs, so he needed to be shrunk. 

As stated above what the Doctor had found seems fairly obvious, but was not spelled out 100%.

The episode has also given the writers most of the tools to talk their way out of many of the continuity problems that the show seems to present.

Edited by drotto

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎10 at 5:07 AM, drotto said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think they were simply implying that his bones had been broken to make him smaller and appear more Human.  He had a very traumatic whole body cosmetic surgery as the average Klingon in this version of Star Trek all appear to be 6 1/2 feet tall and about 275 lbs plus. Way larger than your average person. Tyler appears to be just over 6 feet and maybe 200 lbs, so he needed to be shrunk. 

The episode has also given the writers most of the tools to talk their way out of many of the continuity problems that the show seems to present.

Good episode directed by ST:NG's 'Number 1' :blush: Jonathan Frakes.