• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

Am I like the only person even trying to watch this show? I made it through the 2nd season premier but i just gave up on episode 2. At least it sorta felt trek like a little which doesnt happen much in this show. Its funny i like alternate "what if" comics but an alternate trek just feels off.

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Am I like the only person even trying to watch this show? I made it through the 2nd season premier but i just gave up on episode 2. At least it sorta felt trek like a little which doesnt happen much in this show. Its funny i like alternate "what if" comics but an alternate trek just feels off.

If I may answer in the overenunciated style of the series' Tolkien-reject Klingons -- Quiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttte possssssssssssssiiiiibbbbllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I like the show.

Sure, the Klingons are more aggressive than ever portrayed (e.g. eating a defeated enemy). But the character Michael Burnham is quite interesting, along with members of the crew like Gabriel Lorca (quite the Season 1 surprise), Saru and The Empress.

Why are people bashing on this now?

On 1/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

I like the show.

Sure, the Klingons are more aggressive. But the character Michael Burnham is quite interesting, along with members of the crew like ... Saru and The Empress.

Why are people bashing on this now?

I enjoyed all 3 season 2 episodes so far especially how they expand upon newer characters :idea: and bring back season 1 villians.

I am still watching, but Micheal Burnham is possibly the least appealing central character I have ever seen.  She is beyond annoying to me. I hate how they have attempted to attach her character to Spock, and I fear how much that attachment could mess up his character. 

Burnham just screams Mary Sue to me, and it is severly affecting how I view the show in general.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, drotto said:

I am still watching, but Micheal Burnham is possibly the least appealing central character I have ever seen.  She is beyond annoying to me. I hate how they have attempted to attach her character to Spock, and I fear how much that attachment could mess up his character. 

Burnham just screams Mary Sue to me, and it is severly affecting how I view the show in general.

It's your opinion. You should be able to voice your reaction to the show. But I disagree on Michael Burnham. You are dealing with a human raised as a Vulcan, so she was programmed to constantly force her emotions down. If she was overly emotional I would say the show hasn't honored the backstory effectively.

The special effects on this show is so solid. My wife and I were watching Season 2 Episode 3 and it was like watching a movie it was so detailed. I wonder what the Season 3 budget will be for these episodes.

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The special effects on this show is so solid. My wife and I were watching Season 2 Episode 3 and it was like watching a movie it was so detailed. I wonder what the Season 3 budget will be for these episodes.

Rumors are the budget and number of episodes has been cut.

14 minutes ago, drotto said:

Rumors are the budget and number of episodes has been cut.

That would be interesting. As the rumor is Netflix was footing the bill for distribution rights internationally. Could it have pulled back for Season 3?

Star Trek: Discovery's Budget Reportedly Paid For By Netflix, Not CBS

Netflix reportedly paid more than 100 percent of the cost of Star Trek: Discovery in order to obtain the rights to distribute the series internationally. If this report is accurate, the show made a profit for CBS before it even aired on CBS All Access in the United States.

Star Trek: Discovery was initially seen as something of a gamble for CBS. Although CBS launched All Access in 2014, it had typically been used to release reruns of popular shows. Discovery marked the beginning of a whole new strategy, the first original content released on the streaming service. It proved to be a tremendous success; although high rates of piracy were reported, CBS confirmed it had generated record subscriptions.

According to Variety, the average episode of Star Trek: Discovery costs upwards of $8 million to produce. However, the latest report from REDEF suggests that CBS played a smart move in order to finance it. Given the CBS All Access app is only available in the United States, they struck a deal with Netflix in order to distribute Discovery internationally. As REDEF explains, "For example, Netflix is believed to cover more than 100% of the cost of CBS All Access’s Star Trek: Discovery for the exclusive rights to the series in most non-US markets."

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Does that mean all three seasons will be heading to Netflix?  :wishluck:

I wonder. I had no idea Netflix was rumored to be funding the show. Hopefully that does mean international distribution also gets linked to domestic showings for a broader audience.

I guess not, as CBS was concerned if it released it on Netflix this will detract from All Access. 

Why 'Star Trek: Discovery' Isn't on Netflix

CBS chief Les Moonves spoke to a Wall Street audience at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference on Tuesday. He explained that Netflix offered a lot of money for the United States streaming rights to Star Trek: Discovery, but he also explained why CBS passed.

“We could have sold it to Netflix for a lot more money, but you can be darn sure All Access wouldn’t be doing as well,” he said, noting the importance of original content to any streaming service’s longevity. He also noted that Star Trek has “a built-in fanbase that was pretty emphatic.”

And now that it is growing the Star Trek franchise through Captain Picard and Captain Philippa Georgiou spin-offs, the domestic market will probably be protected even more.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder. I had no idea Netflix was rumored to be funding the show. Hopefully that does mean international distribution also gets linked to domestic showings for a broader audience.

From my understanding.  Netflix basically paid for season 1.  CBS sold the international rights to them, and that money basically fully financed season 1.  So for CBS season one of STD cost them little to nothing.  When season 2 rolled around Netflix was less interested because the show under-performed internationally.  So now season 2 is being made primarily on CBS' dime not Netflix's.  The speculation also goes that money is the origin of the Short Treks. Those mini episodes were cheap to make and their sale to Netflix was intended to help finance season 2 for CBS. Reportedly (not confirmed), Netflix was not interested in the Short Treks, which is the reason they only appeared internationally once season 2 started to roll out as opposed to the earlier release dates they had on CBS All Access. 

The reason CBS denied the US streaming rights to Netflix was STD was (and is) designed to be the flagship show for CBS All Access, a service that does not exist internationally.  Netflix was only needed therefor for the wide distribution. 

2 hours ago, drotto said:

From my understanding.  Netflix basically paid for season 1.  CBS sold the international rights to them, and that money basically fully financed season 1.  So for CBS season one of STD cost them little to nothing.  When season 2 rolled around Netflix was less interested because the show under-performed internationally.  So now season 2 is being made primarily on CBS' dime not Netflix's.  The speculation also goes that money is the origin of the Short Treks. Those mini episodes were cheap to make and their sale to Netflix was intended to help finance season 2 for CBS. Reportedly (not confirmed), Netflix was not interested in the Short Treks, which is the reason they only appeared internationally once season 2 started to roll out as opposed to the earlier release dates they had on CBS All Access. 

The reason CBS denied the US streaming rights to Netflix was STD was (and is) designed to be the flagship show for CBS All Access, a service that does not exist internationally.  Netflix was only needed therefor for the wide distribution. 

Netflix paid for Season 2 (see article above). Possibly Season 1, though not clear.

Also noted above the CBS CEO clarified the reason for no Domestic Netflix showings was because it would detract from All Access, which is only available domestically.