• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well,I tried to watch it last night but couldn't find it. If I can't find the show how can I watch it?

I thought it be 8 so I guess it came on later because of football going longer.

Exactly What happened

It’s on CBS All Access, which you have to subscribe to.  Episode 1 was on regular CBS last night as a teaser.  I tried to DVR the show but got treated to a 15 minute lead in of Oprah because the Packers game ran late, so I missed the end.  What I saw wasn’t anything to write home about imho, acting was pretty wooden and they turned the Klingons into Tolkien’s Uruk-hai.  Won’t be giving CBS any extra cash to watch it, they can put it on broadcast.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

It’s on CBS All Access, which you have to subscribe to.  Episode 1 was on regular CBS last night as a teaser.  I tried to DVR the show but got treated to a 15 minute lead in of Oprah because the Packers game ran late, so I missed the end.  What I saw wasn’t anything to write home about imho, acting was pretty wooden and they turned the Klingons into Tolkien’s Uruk-hai.  Won’t be giving CBS any extra cash to watch it, they can put it on broadcast.

So what I gather now after googling CBS All Access is they want me to pay a separate subscription to them,plus watch Star Trek with commercials and only watch once a week with no option to binge watch it over a week-end? :whatthe:

Looks like I will pass,unless Amazon on demand or Netflix get it. I like my shows and movies commercial free and I like to binge watch them.  For some reason I thought I could sign up for CBS All Access like I do a few other tv networks and watch it all in one swoop commercial free.

Already this process of trying to find it, and now being told I must pay to watch it with commercials has soured my enthusiasm for this new show. 

Saw the first two episodes, gotta say it's interesting. 

Im a bit confused as to where this series should go/belong..... does it belong to the original timeline or the Kelvin's alternate timeline?? If they are in the Kelvin's, does that mean Niro is still around (the series starts 10yrs before Captain Kirk) ???? Or does the producers means 10 yrs before Kirk was born?? In which case no Nero???

On a lighter note : There uniform suggests that it takes after ST:Enterprise (being with a blue jumpsuit). I always love ST:Enterprise. 

Watched it with the wife (who is a big Star Trek fan) last night; and we both thought it was just ok.   The episode just didn't grab us and say "you must watch this every week".  We both felt that the acting was stiff and the story just didn't seem well thought out in our opinions.

Psy

14 hours ago, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

Doug Jones was pretty good. The rest of the cast? Stiff. 

The story is trying to go big. The visuals seemed much too busy.

Certainly not paying to watch another episode.

I streamed it for free with Kodi 1 day after others uploaded episodes 1 and 2. Think they just amped up the spcl fx budget for the 2 hr premiere, Plots surrounding the adventures of Number 1 may be more ground and inside ship :x based for balance of season 1.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Just finished Episode 1. OUTSTANDING!!

The best Star Trek episode I have watched in a very long time. And the Klingons are more alien and brutal.

Overall, I liked the first two episodes. Again, the Klingons are far more brutal than we have seen them before. That became clear very quickly.

Piracy sites are what is going to break this CBS Access plan. There is no way you can hold them back worldwide. Better to put it out there on the regular station, and take advantage of the production and story quality.

Sonequa Martin-Green may initially make you reference back to her strong female role in The Walking Dead, as she is just as tough in this series. But when you find out up-front (so no spoilers) she was raised by Sarek, played by James Frain from Gotham, you can see why she is tough as nails. And it was a nice nod to Spock having that backstory.

Watching the first 2 episodes, the scope seems very large, almost cinematic.  The downside is the acting, character, and plot.  Thus far, I feel no connection or urge to learn more about the characters.  And the story appears to be more action drama and less sci fi.  Gone are the days of weekly standalone stories of exploration and scientific intrigue.  I mean, having a story arc is great because it keeps people coming back, but after watching some TOS and TNG episodes, Star Trek is about stretching the imagination.  A blend of the two story types would have been preferable.

Also, the Klingons...my god, the acting was horrid.  I don't know why the actors were instructed to enunciate ev-er-y last sy-lla-ble.

All in all, the show was entertaining enough to continue tuning in, but I'm convinced no Star Trek series will ever be as good as TNG or TOS in terms of pure imaginativeness.

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Just finished Episode 1. OUTSTANDING!!

The best Star Trek episode I have watched in a very long time. And the Klingons are more alien and brutal.

I feel the same. Outstanding. That scene from space showing the brig near was mind boggling. There is a vibe to this show that is near irresistible. I'll be watching weekly. 

21 hours ago, ThatPovGuy said:

I feel the same. Outstanding. That scene from space showing the brig near was mind boggling. There is a vibe to this show that is near irresistible. I'll be watching weekly. 

So you're subscribing to CBS All Access?

After the first 15 minutes or so I really liked it. Not anywhere near enough to pay extra to see it, but I suspect CBS will cry uncle on that sooner or later.  

My only real complaint about the show is the design of the bridge is completely impractical, with a bunch of open, empty space.  No one would ever design something like this.  It looks more like the lobby of a fancy hotel than the bridge of a vessel.  

-J.