• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

'Star Trek: Discovery': Who Is the Emperor in the Mirror Universe?

captain-georgiou-1074320-640x320.jpeg

Welcome to the mirror universe. All hail the Terran Empire.

That was the basic message of last week's mid-season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery. In "Despite Yourself," the Discovery crew found themselves in the mirror universe. In this universe the Federation of Planets is nonexistent. Instead, the Terran Empire, a xenophobic and aggressive entity, rules the galaxy.

Like most empires, an emperor rules the Terran Empire. The emperor is a shadowy presence in all episodes involving the mirror universe. But Star Trek: Discovery will become the first to show the emperor on screen.

We don't know when the emperor will appear. We only know that the show-runners have suggested that the fans will meet the emperor. We also don't know who the emperor is.

Phillipa Georgiou is the fan-favorite contender for the role of emperor. The use of "emperor" as opposed to "empress" may seem to be a problem. Hoshi Sato declared herself "empress" in the Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly." That was decades before Star Trek: Discovery in the Star Trek timeline. Its possible the gendered form of the title has fallen out of favor.

Are they going to continue to keep this show buried behind a pay wall?  Every time I say to myself I want to watch it I instead decide to just go watch another episode of the Enterprise series I never finished free on Netflix.  Or at least it's free to me since there's a world more content on Netflix whereas the ONLY thing I'd watch behind the CBS pay wall is this show.

Edited by fantastic_four

If they VIACOM and CBS merger happens, bringing together the Star Trek TV and Movie rights, they may go a different route.

But since these recent mergers are about packing dedicated streaming services with quality content to attract audiences, how they do it will be interesting without turning viewers off from paying multiple services.

Even with Verizon, it gets annoying when they have a recent episode play from a hot TV show. For the first week it is out they charge you a fee to see that episode to see it sooner. Otherwise, you have to wait. Like the standard cable bill for FIOS isn't high enough already. It whacks you with ON-DEMAND additional fees.

Outstanding!

Details finally revealed that have gone on for a few episodes. I like how they have handled the Mirror Universe, and the differences in the characters.

And the Emperor revealed finally. Talk about raining down destruction before appearing.

Did the original episode (of Original series ) mentioned anything about the eyes-light thing?? I don’t recall the OS ever mentioning that. 

One thing bugs me though, when they took a shuttle to move to the emperor ‘s ship, the shuttle had to go to Warp 1. Even thou it’s on the other side of the planet.....and they even have time to talk and devised a plan..... and the computer even mentioned “location: classified “. They just bombarded the planet, they’re on the other side, but the location is classified??

3 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

Did the original episode (of Original series ) mentioned anything about the eyes-light thing?? I don’t recall the OS ever mentioning that. 

One thing bugs me though, when they took a shuttle to move to the emperor ‘s ship, the shuttle had to go to Warp 1. Even thou it’s on the other side of the planet.....and they even have time to talk and devised a plan..... and the computer even mentioned “location: classified “. They just bombarded the planet, they’re on the other side, but the location is classified??

Did you see the size of the Emperor's ship? Probably between that and the advanced technology from many civilizations conquered, it can fire from a long range and hit what it wants.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎23 at 10:51 AM, CKinTO said:

and I also definitely didn't see that ending coming! Really enjoying this show

hard to believe the ST: Discovery episodes are building and getting even :foryou: better. "The ... won the war."

30 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

hard to believe the ST: Discovery episodes are building and getting even :foryou: better. "The ... won the war."

I did not see that coming in the end.

What a fantastic little series. The characters are so well developed, and having stories that continue from episode to episode is great versus stand-alone stories each week.

Agreed, Discovery just keeps getting better and better. I’m hoping that CBS would release a DVD or blu ray box set, so that I can watch it from start to end......

Spoiler

I’m gonna miss Lorca. He was manipulating, deceptive, SOB. Love to Hate

My kind of villain :devil:

i wish they would bring him back.... doubt it 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, combiner1 said:

Agreed, Discovery just keeps getting better and better. I’m hoping that CBS would release a DVD or blu ray box set, so that I can watch it from start to end......

Hide contents

I’m gonna miss Lorca. He was manipulating, deceptive, SOB. Love to Hate

My kind of villain :devil:

i wish they would bring him back.... doubt it 

I don't know. I've learned that nobody's dead if there's no body and ... what about the spore landing on that shoulder??? I'm thinking it was targeted for a reason...Why? He's just too good...not to bring back.

6 hours ago, ninanina said:

I don't know. I've learned that nobody's dead if there's no body and ... what about the spore landing on that shoulder??? I'm thinking it was targeted for a reason...Why? He's just too good...not to bring back.

I was wondering about that one spore as well. It wouldn't have been such a point of focus if there wasn't a later intended story impact.

You guys should watch “After Trek”. It’s sorta like a review and recap and interview with some cast and crew of the show. On the last episode they have the actor that plays Lorca, Landry, and a producer (I think). Anyways, one segment of the show, audience get to ask questions. One question was ask to the producer about that one spore that landed on Tilly, and it had a different colour. The producer said, he can’t comment on that because their doing an episode about that........

18 hours ago, combiner1 said:

You guys should watch “After Trek”. It’s sorta like a review and recap and interview with some cast and crew of the show. On the last episode they have the actor that plays Lorca, Landry, and a producer (I think). Anyways, one segment of the show, audience get to ask questions. One question was ask to the producer about that one spore that landed on Tilly, and it had a different colour. The producer said, he can’t comment on that because their doing an episode about that........

Yeah I caught that and I also heard the actor say he was done and won't be back. :whistle:

On 2/1/2018 at 6:29 AM, combiner1 said:

Excellent recommendation!

I really enjoyed this review of the episode. Although it made the actor that played Lorca look like someone fishing for top honors from the show. Still, a good guy.

'Star Trek: Discovery' EPs Tease High Stakes for Michael Burnham

With the United Federation of Planets seemingly on the brink of annihilation, it will come down to Special Michael Burnham to do what needs to be done to save the day. At least that’s what the show’s executive producers, Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg, tell Entertainment Weekly.

“As the crew of Discovery deals with the fallout of Mirror Universe Lorca, they must end the war with the Klingons once and for all,” the showrunners said. “Burnham is going to have to strike unexpected alliances in a mission that requires the Discovery team to take the fight directly to the Klingons. Will there be redemption for Burnham’s mutiny against Georgiou or Tyler’s attacks on Culber and Burnham? As the first season wraps up, the stakes have never been higher for the U.S.S. Discovery and we’re excited to answer many of the questions that have been asked since the first episode, as well as tease what’s to come.”

There are plenty of strange bedfellows current riding on board Discovery. As the showrunners mentioned, there’s Lt. Ash Tyler. Tyler is actually Voq the Klingon Torchbearer transformed to appear human and with a human’s personality and memories imprinted on his own. When Voq discovered the truth, his mind broke and he murdered Dr. Hugh Culber. L’Rell and Saru formed an uneasy understanding to save Tyler’s life, but it's unclear what state he’s in now and whether L’Rell or Tyler will be interested in cooperating further with Starfleet.