• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, nearmint said:

So you're subscribing to CBS All Access?

Yes, I have subscribed. (or were you implying I was going to go to those streaming sites?) (tsk)

I dumped Hulu after their latest "improved intteface" which is, to me, unusable. I replaced  it with CBS and saved the difference. I also subscribed recently to Directtv Now for $35/month for every cable type channel I want such as History, SyFy, Food Network, Spike, A&E, AMC, TCM and literally dozens and dozens more. They also charghe only $5/month for HBO. And most of the channels have separate apps for my Roku, which means even if DTVNow has some problems (they do but overall fairly dependable) I cam still watch what I want from those cable type channels. With tons of On Demand. And DTVNow is coming up with a DVR capability, which would make it killer.

I also use Tivo OTA which has either full commercial skip or 30 secons jumps on shows I want such as Flash, Arrow, Legends, Gotham, Gray's Anatomy (ya ya ya), Lucifer, Bull, Madame Secretary, Designated Survivor, Svengoolie, Creature Features and many more. I think I will elaborate on my cord cutting and post in the Cooler.

Edited by ThatPovGuy

2 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Thanks for the info.  My directv is getting stupid expensive.

I have Direct TV too. Come 2018 I'm "cutting the cord" and going with YouTube TV. It currently only lacks 1 or 2 stations I watch but big difference in monthly price. There's getting to be more options lately to cable and sat.

Star Trek: Discovery Casts Mia Kirshner As Spock’s Mother

Mia-Kirshner-L-Word.jpg?q=50&w=1000&h=50

Star Trek: Discovery is taking things back to Lt. Michael Burnham’s past by casting Mia Kirshner as Amanda, Spock’s mother, and Michael Burnham’s adoptive mother. The series has already shown Michael’s Vulcan upbringing in flashbacks and introduced Sarek, played by James Frain. Now it seems that more of Michael’s family, as well as major players in the Vulcan corner of the Star Trek universe, will be making an appearance. It’s a smart move since bringing in Michael’s adoptive parent will continue to provide background for the leading lieutenant, making it all the more important.

Why is this show being relegated only the streaming service?  I watched the first 2 episodes, and it is far better then some of the stuff they have on the fall schedule. It also seems foolish given a report they says it is costing CBS nearly 8 million per episode.

Therein lies CBS’ problem - broadcast would equal more viewers.  Even though episode one left me thinking the acting was stiff and the Klingons look absurd, I’d keep watching if I didn’t have to pony up more cash.  Most shows take a little time to find their footing, so I would ride it out on big CBS.  Streaming though?  F that.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Outstanding third episode. And with a mystery why  certain activities are taking place involving the Klingons.

Sonequa Martin out-Sashas Sasha in this role. I wish CBS would take this back to non-subscription services. What a show!

What activities involved the Klingons?

1 hour ago, Juno Beach said:

Klingons investigating the sister ship before Discovery arrives and its as well as Discovery's mission; a direct result of the war.

This is NOT Gene's  Roddenberry's Star Trek. Much darker than any and all of the previous  series. If Gene was still alive, I'm not sure all of it would have been allowed. Most specifically (for example) panning the distorted bodies in the corridor. In any of the original series or the movies for that matter, they could talk about it but they wouldn't show it. Remember how they handled the transporter malfunction in the first movie? They never showed the bodies after they materialized.

Also, I didn't know they had site to site transport 10 years before the first series. It could be an indication they are taking certain liberties with the history. Anyone else catch that? Or is it something that I simply imagined in the 3rd episode.

Love the show.

Admittedly,  I would not classify myself as any sort of major Star Trek historian. I see what you mean in terms of the overall graphic nature of this new series and I was also shocked a little by the look of this version of Klingons. Roddenberry might not let this stuff slide - agreed.

However, I get the need to allow people to express their version of Star Trek. As long as the stories are well written, the overall look is less important to me as long as it has familiar elements to connect it.

I too am enjoying this new take on the show.

PS-- was that a silhouette of Captain Pike when she is on trial? Sorry-- need to watch episode three still so I am speaking from the preview only.

7 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

5 hours ago, ninanina said:

Klingons investigating the sister ship before Discovery arrives and its as well as Discovery's mission; a direct result of the war.

Exactly! And with Captain Lorca, he is hell-bent on finding an easy way to destroy the Klingons.

8 hours ago, ninanina said:

Also, I didn't know they had site to site transport 10 years before the first series. It could be an indication they are taking certain liberties with the history. Anyone else catch that? Or is it something that I simply imagined in the 3rd episode.

Love the show.

I noticed that too.... I didn't think they can do a site-to-site transport without going through the transporters...... BUT then again, I believe due to the nature of Discovery's mission, she would be fitted with advance and "questionable" technologies. Does this mean Discovery is a "black-opps" ship??

I think Star Trek Discovery should be in the "movie timeline" (Kelvin Timeline) just how everything fits and bridge and ship design... it's a lot more edgier than the original timeline......

On 10/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, ninanina said:

This is NOT Gene's  Roddenberry's Star Trek. Much darker than any and all of the previous  series. If Gene was still alive, I'm not sure all of it would have been allowed. Most specifically (for example) panning the distorted bodies in the corridor. In any of the original series or the movies for that matter, they could talk about it but they wouldn't show it. Remember how they handled the transporter malfunction in the first movie? They never showed the bodies after they materialized.

Love the show.

Didn't they explain that the Klingons probably just found a derelict Federation ship and boarded it?