• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

Anyone have any thoughts on the 4th episode? I thought it was fantastic. The show has already hit its stride. A nice twist to the plotline made things MUCH more interesting, and the status quo on the villain side was heavily shook up as well. No issues on the acting front, either. Everyone seems very believable. Still can't believe that Captain Lorca was Lucius Malfoy. :-) I'll be "tuning in" as long as I can with this one. It's great sci-fi.

I’m a bit surprised how much I’m digging this new series. The acting, storyline, visual effects, just about everything is top notch   :golfclap:

Spoiler

Anybody find it odd that Star Trek can now use “the f word”???

Spoiler

Who’s gonna bet that the prisoner that Captain Lorca got away with becomes a spy for the Klingon   :devil:

10 hours ago, combiner1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Who’s gonna bet that the prisoner that Captain Lorca got away with becomes a spy for the Klingon   :devil:

I was thinking the same thing. Lasting that long because the Klingon captain was attracted to her prisoner doesn't seem like the short trend we are seeing on this show so far.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Lasting that long because the Klingon captain was attracted to her prisoner doesn't seem like the short trend we are seeing on this show so far.

I hope not, because that's the obvious thing that would happen. 

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Episode 5 Final Scene

the-evil-stamets.png?auto=format,compres

At the tail end of an action-packed episode that was full of all sorts of character development twists — from Lorca, to Burnham, to Saru, and even Tilly — a game-changer happened in the very last frame. After Culber heads to bed and Stamets smiles, he waits for a beat, looks in the mirror, and then walks away. But then, Stamets’ reflection is STILL SOMEHOW IN THE FREAKING MIRROR.

This can mean only one thing: The Stamets who is smiling back out of the mirror is from the Mirror Universe. First visited in the original series episode “Mirror, Mirror,” the Mirror Universe is a parallel dimension in which almost everything about the “regular” universe is duplicated, only evilly. Starfleet is a militaristic, brutal organization in the Mirror Universe, where almost everyone has a selfish, ulterior motive. As Kirk said, “Assassination is a common means of advancement.”

To be clear, the duplicate Stamets in the mirror at the end of this episode do not say he’s from the Mirror Universe because he doesn’t speak at all. Still, one producer and one director have confirmed the Mirror Universe will be a part of this season of Star Trek: Discovery, making it pretty obvious that’s what this final scene was supposed to suggest.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, combiner1 said:

I noticed that too.... I didn't think they can do a site-to-site transport without going through the transporters...... BUT then again, I believe due to the nature of Discovery's mission, she would be fitted with advance and "questionable" technologies. Does this mean Discovery is a "black-opps" ship??

I think Star Trek Discovery should be in the "movie timeline" (Kelvin Timeline) just how everything fits and bridge and ship design... it's a lot more edgier than the original timeline......

I think you're guess is exactly right.  I believe Discovery is a Section 31 black ops ship.  Note the black Starfleet uniform emblems, the fact that the registry of the ship is "NCC 1031", the use of site-to-site transport at the cost of a suffering creature, and Lorca's ability to commission a convicted mutineer to become part of his crew.

I loved the Easter Eggs in Episode 4.  When the computer was asked to list the most decorated Star Trek captains, the listed four captains on the screen were all captains of the Enterprise except for Georgia Phillipa (Captaion of the Shenzou). Robert April was established as the first Captain of the Enterprise in TOS, Jonathan Archer was Captain of the NX-01 (Enterprise series), and Christopher Pike was Captain of the Enterprise in the original pilot episode of TOS. 

Just binge watched the first 5 episodes last night with my son (he has a couple to watch today as bed time was too early to finish episode 3). I liked it a lot, except for 2 things: 1) appearance of the Klingons - they look more like Uruk-Hai from LOTR, and 2) Jason Isaacs' overacting as Lorca. Other than that, a solid start to the latest installment of Trek IMHO. 

On 10/17/2017 at 4:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

On 10/16/2017 at 5:25 PM, combiner1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

That is my thought as well. It is the obvious plot twist, but the dude did not look that banged up in the prison cell.

True enough.

The one thing that strikes me with this show is.......how much cooler the Discovery looks relative to the Enterprise in supposed later timelines. STNG reruns are so dated with the special effects in comparison now. lol

Just now, kimik said:

True enough.

The one thing that strikes me with this show is.......how much cooler the Discovery looks relative to the Enterprise in supposed later timelines. STNG reruns are so dated with the special effects in comparison now. lol

I was thinking the same thing after the second episode. This new show has surpassed the look and technology of ST:TOS it could make it tough for new-comers to appreciate these old episodes.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:51 PM, darkstar said:

The decision to put this on the all access sub service is all but guaranteed to kill this show.

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-renewed-for-second-season

Discovery Renewed for Second Season

Star Trek: Discovery has been renewed for a second season, it was announced today by CBS All Access.

“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” said Marc DeBevoise, President and Chief Operating Officer, CBS Interactive, referring to the fact that Discovery set new CBS All Access records for subscriber sign-ups in a single day, week and month. “This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series.”

The first six episodes are currently available. As previously announced, Discovery will air in two chapters. The final episode of chapter one will debut on Sunday, November 12, and the second chapter, featuring the remaining six episodes, will return in January 2018.

Star Trek: Discovery streams Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. The series streams on Mondays on Netflix in the rest of the world.