• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

One thing I worry about with this show is their interpretation of the Klingon people as being extremely savage and untrustworthy. Later on, who would want to save these people from events like the Praxis Moon exploding (The Undiscovered Country)?

They are so brutal, they ate Captain Georgiou's body and mentioned this in Episode 4. How could the Federation ever bring itself to save these beings when they are so gruesome?

Edited by Bosco685

4 hours ago, Ares said:

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-renewed-for-second-season

Discovery Renewed for Second Season

Star Trek: Discovery has been renewed for a second season, it was announced today by CBS All Access.

“In just six episodes, Star Trek: Discovery has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” said Marc DeBevoise, President and Chief Operating Officer, CBS Interactive, referring to the fact that Discovery set new CBS All Access records for subscriber sign-ups in a single day, week and month. “This series has a remarkable creative team and cast who have demonstrated their ability to carry on the Star Trek legacy. We are extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series.”

The first six episodes are currently available. As previously announced, Discovery will air in two chapters. The final episode of chapter one will debut on Sunday, November 12, and the second chapter, featuring the remaining six episodes, will return in January 2018.

Star Trek: Discovery streams Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada. The series streams on Mondays on Netflix in the rest of the world.

And then all those free subscribers cancel 

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

One thing I worry about with this show is their interpretation of the Klingon people as being extremely savage and untrustworthy. Later on, who would want to save these people from events like the Praxis Moon exploding (The Undiscovered Country)?

They are so brutal, they ate Captain Georgiou's body and mentioned this in Episode 4. How could the Federation ever bring itself to save these beings when they are so gruesome?

Erase Praxis??  (shrug)

I certainly wish they would have erased the magic Khan blood from Into Darkness.  Well that's not fair -- in retrospect I wish they'd erase Into Darkness altogether.

34 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Erase Praxis??  (shrug)

I certainly wish they would have erased the magic Khan blood from Into Darkness.  Well that's not fair -- in retrospect I wish they'd erase Into Darkness altogether.

But even with the elimination of a story plot point like Praxis, there is the off-again, on-again peace negotiations attempted between the Federation and Klingon Empire.

Who would negotiate with a species if you knew in advance they ate your dead? Not to say this was an inappropriate representation of the Klingons. I just don't think we ever heard something like this before across any of the Star Trek series or movies.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But even with the elimination of a story plot point like Praxis, there is the off-again, on-again peace negotiations attempted between the Federation and Klingon Empire.

Who would negotiate with a species if you knew in advance they ate your dead? Not to say this was an inappropriate representation of the Klingons. I just don't think we ever heard something like this before across any of the Star Trek series or movies.

I hear you, and I think that’s why I wouldn’t like this series if I decided to pony up for streaming.  The Klingons in the classical sense liked to fight, party, and occasionally invade a planet.  But they were usually sensible too.

The “Discovery” version seem to be, expanding on what I said before, space faring Uruk-Hai.  They look and act over-the-top barbaric, and over enunciate most syllables.  Makes you wonder how they ever broke the warp barrier.

Anyone still watching this?

I thought the latest episode was excellent even though I don't really care for the character of Harry Mudd. I'm a sucker for a time loop story, I guess. 1f642.png:-) This show feels more and more like classic Trek with each passing week. The acting is really excellent and the special effects are top-notch. Having the "space whale" involved was a nice callback to ST IV. This show has me hooked and I'm recommend anyone starting out to give it time as each episode has been better than the previous.

Did 'Star Trek: Discovery' Secretly Introduce Another 'Original Series' Character?

star-trek-discovery-is-cornwell-lethe-10

Star Trek: Discovery has already made significant use of some characters from Star Trek: The Original Series, including Sarek and Harry Mudd, but did it secretly introduced another Star Trek: The Original Series character?

As the theory goes, Admiral Katrina Cornwell, played by Jayne Brook on Star Trek: Discovery, is actually the same character known as Lethe, played by Susanne Wasson in the Star Trek: The Original Series episode “Dagger of the Mind.”

Star Trek: Discovery takes place roughly a decade prior to the events of Star Trek: The Original Series. This theory suggests that the events that befall Cornwell in Star Trek: Discovery result in her becoming Lethe in Star Trek: The Original Series.

Lethe was a former inmate who was working as a therapist at a Federation of Planets penal colony. She also seemed to suffer from memory loss or confusion. When Captain Kirk asked her about what it was she did that led to her being sent to the penal colony in the first place, she replied by saying, “Does it matter? That person no longer exists.”

The name “Lethe” is appropriate since, in Greek mythology, it is also the name of a river in Hades that washes away memories. “Lethe” is also the name of an episode of Star Trek: Discovery in which Cornwell factored prominently. The episode’s title and the events of that episode are largely responsible for leading some fans to wonder if Cornwell is connected to Lethe.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:14 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Anyone still watching this?

I thought the latest episode was excellent even though I don't really care for the character of Harry Mudd. I'm a sucker for a time loop story, I guess. 1f642.png:-) This show feels more and more like classic Trek with each passing week. The acting is really excellent and the special effects are top-notch. Having the "space whale" involved was a nice callback to ST IV. This show has me hooked and I'm recommend anyone starting out to give it time as each episode has been better than the previous.

I am watching still.  I am currently on the side of liking it. Although the underlying preachy nature of the show, terrible alterations to the Klingons, and lack of a truly likable character, have stopped me from being all in.  At this point I am finding the more optimistic universe, warm characters, and more balanced social commentary that the Orville is providing more to my liking. The Orville is a nice change of pace in this respect, where discovery feels like Star Trek if following the current trend in TV as opposed to forging new ground.

4 hours ago, Reader said:

Traveling in Central America right now with only my iPhone and watching Discovery on my Netflix app.

In Canada I watch it on our Cable Sci fi channel. No online access needed

Holy! If this turns out to be true... :ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Star Trek: Discovery: Why SPOILER Is Going To Switch Sides

Ash-Tyler-and-Michael-Burnham-in-Star-Tr

Fans are all thinking pretty much the same thing when it comes to the newly-introduced Lt. Ash Tyler: He’s got to be the Klingon Voq altered to look human.

Voq, as you may recall, was T’Kuvma’s most loyal follower, and named as his successor in the pilot episode. But things went downhill for Voq from there, ending with his exile from the Klingon Empire and a covert plan to send him to Klingon matriarchs who would help him in an undisclosed way. The price for their help was that he would have to “sacrifice everything.” What more could “everything” be than giving up his very identity as a Klingon?

This is not without precedent in Star Trek. The original series featured Klingons that looked very human, and the classic episode “The Trouble With Tribbles” included a nearly identical plot twist: a Klingon surgically altered to look human and spy on the Federation.

Edited by Bosco685

'Star Trek: Discovery' Return Date Announced

The fall finale of Star Trek: Discovery, concluding the first chapter of the new Star Trek show’s first season, will debut this Sunday, and fans now know exactly how long they’ll have to wait for chapter two to begin.

Star Trek: Discovery will return on Sunday, January 7, 2018, at 8:30 p.m. ET.

The second chapter begins with the series’ tenth episode, which we now know is titled “Despite Yourself."

In the episode, “While in unfamiliar territory, the USS Discovery crew is forced to get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented forces and return home.”

Really enjoyed the finale, and the first 6 episodes so far.

Spoiler

I wasn't sure how the finale progressed the theory that Lt. Tyler is Voq who's been transformed... Some of those PTSD flashbacks were either Lt Tyler being tortured, or him under-going some kind of surgery (if the latter, then definitely could be Voq). That being said, Tyler doesn't seem to think he's Voq, so maybe Tyler is who he is, but then has someone gotten the consciousness of Voq implanted into him (but beneath the surface)? Or potentially the other way around (Voq's body, Tyler's consciousness?)  

11 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Hide contents

I wasn't sure how the finale progressed the theory that Lt. Tyler is Voq who's been transformed... Some of those PTSD flashbacks were either Lt Tyler being tortured, or him under-going some kind of surgery (if the latter, then definitely could be Voq). That being said, Tyler doesn't seem to think he's Voq, so maybe Tyler is who he is, but then has someone gotten the consciousness of Voq implanted into him (but beneath the surface)? Or potentially the other way around (Voq's body, Tyler's consciousness?)  

They certainly telegraphed this plot point, though. Did anyone watching NOT figure this out? 

45 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

It could be that Tyler flashback isn’t torture BUT the procedure of making him human......

31 minutes ago, combiner1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It could be that Tyler flashback isn’t torture BUT the procedure of making him human......

Spoiler

Agreed. In certain of the quicker flashbacks, you saw a Klingon yelling and then Tyler screaming. Like they were one on top of another.

I have a feeling his lover has a wakeup command she will use from what she said to him from her cell.