• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lexan/acrylic backing boards

15 posts in this topic

I received a book I had purchased on Ebay recently, and was pleasantly surprised to find that rather than the traditional backing board it had a very thin sheet of poycarb/lexan in place of the board. this made for a nice stiff support for the book and also allowed both sides of the book to be viewable.

I did some cursory research but could find no negative effects from using a thin lexan sheet, short of cost considerations. Seems like a nice way to store books short of slabbing them.

Anyone currently using this method?

Clear backing boards have been discussed before. Haven't read the thread in a while but they may discuss which boards are archival.

thanks, that was a good read, I should probably get to know the "search" function a little better :grin: . I assumed that Lexan would be the material of choice, probably the most stable product of its type. I will probably get a few made up and give them a try,

I also read it was cost prohibitive to do with a collection...perhaps just a select few books

Where did you read that? And was their collection 90's drek?

I've got a few.....they fit nicely into the larger GA Mylar sleeve, but as mentioned before, they're pricey...... a few dollars a piece and I would imagine shipping more than 15 would be expensive....not sure how large flat rate will go. They're heavy..... so a short box full of books with them in use would likely be a workout to move. Mine are probably 1'8" thick and very clear and sturdy. They display nicely. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Why not just get 4mil mylars? It doesn't degrade.

It's stiff enough to not need a backboard (if handled gingerly) and they are only about 3 times as expensive as normal poly bags w/boards.

I think they are also safer. I've dropped a comic in a bag+board on its corner and it crumpled the edge of the cardboard AND the comic about a cm. And I've dropped a comic the other day with a 4mil mylar also on the corner and it saved the comic because they are rigid and oversized. And the comic tends to stay centered away from the sides.

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter

Time for a necrobump here! :devil:

So according to Wikipedia, Lexan absorbs UV light so maybe a good use for this would be for those select comics that are put on display and then put a sheet in the front to absorb UV light and a sheet in the back.

Nice topic.

I bought a high grade Bronze comic this year that came with one of these. I considered keeping it but decided that I liked my fullbacks better because those gave the comic more support which is what I was looking for.