• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story of my slow downward Spiral into comic collecting addiction.
1 1

47 posts in this topic

It seems everyone else has one so I guess I should too!

I started this for fun, but will try to post interesting things, but will also include recent buys, along with gifs, and memes for my amusement. People are welcome to post, and discuss different things they don't all need to be comic related.

See more journals by DeadpoolJr.

Ok, so to start of I guess I'll show the piece I bought at comicartcon on Sunday. I was very happy to finally get a Kirby piece, and even more that it was a page to Kamandi. I know thats not everybody cup of tea, but for me it was like hitting two birds with one stone. If you look at the left center of the page you can see how part of it got ripped, but I think thats what kept its price so low.

Sorry for the picture of my foot in the shot, I tried cropping it our, but for some reason wouldn't post to the boards afterwards.

UBweJyZ.jpg

If you have the money and you enjoy collecting them and don't get too carried away, the worst thing about comic addiction as that they take up so much space !

One really needs to have to have a decent sized house cause you don't dare keep them in the basement.

My first reply in a thread! :whee:

My order from InstockTrades.com came in.

Scalped Vol.1 Deluxe edition. Its a really great read so far, plus this edition is great. Its a hardback, with a dusr jacket, and has cover art, made for this edition.

Y The last Man Vol. I never read it, but everyone always tells me what a great read it is, so I figured I waited long enough.

Preacher Vol.1 This one I'm real interested in reading, after reading the premise it got me really interested in reading it.

Last but not least BlackSad. Its European, but anybody that has read it can tell you that it can more than hold its own against any American comic page for page, not to mention the art for it is just beautiful to say the least.

Heres the link for anybody wondering- http://www.instocktrades.com/

I use them for really all my trade buying, they have really great discounts including for new releases, plus you can get free shipping on orders over $50, though it can take a little long.

r8pFKbU.jpg

I'm enjoying your journal. Always interesting to read about another's collecting journey. Like you, I've also fallen off the collecting cliff. (One unsolicited suggestion: you need a signature thing to show off show of the jewels of your collection :))

I'm enjoying your journal. Always interesting to read about another's collecting journey. Like you, I've also fallen off the collecting cliff. (One unsolicited suggestion: you need a signature thing to show off show of the jewels of your collection :))
Thanks for the complements, and yea I buy everything from modern titles,all the way to pre hero marvel, and golden age horror. I love it all.

I started to activity collect comics when I started middle school, which would be around 8 years ago. I had always had a fascination for comics, and super heros long before that though, with some of my earliest memories being watching the 90's X-men, and ASM shows. The first comics I ever got were my dad's spidermans from the 60s up with two old Avengers comics mixed in, totaling around a short box in all.

My dad told me he had a lot more comics, but they had been stolen by relatives that helped him move, and the only reason he still had the spiderman ones were because they were his favorites, and personally transported them. Sadly though he did not take the best care of them, in replacement of a short box he put them in a old box that somewhat matched the dimensions of one, and put them in bags that he never replaced so they looked ridiculously yellowed when I took them out. In fact I almost cried when I saw a ASM 14 CRUMBLE in front of me, not to say there weren't a few gems like ASM 50 which graded out at a 4.5 at cgc, and ASM 129 which is around a 8.0, and might get higher with a press. His biggest regret though he told me though was that when he was in college he had a chance to buy an Amazing Fantasy 15 for $100, but passed since he didn't have the cash to spare since he was paying his own way though.

That's a pretty cool story regarding your father's books. I think you're selling yourself short on that ASM 129 though. As you pointed out that you're intending on possibly pressing it, if there's nothing wrong with the BC, it might be closer to a 9.0.

By the way, that 121 looks really sharp!

Well the current Clink auction is coming to a close, along with my first ever consignment with them, and also my first ever sell of any comic! All in all it could have been worse, but am pleased with what I got. When I consider how many people talk about how rarely they make a profit, or even close to the original cost of what they payed I did pretty well. With the math I did I originally spend around $1100-$1200 on them totaled together.

Most of these were from when I first got in to collecting so many of these I over payed for, not by much since a lot of them ranged from $15-$20 a slab. With the final cost, or at least counting the current price of all of them that haven't ended yet it totaled up to $1,016 minus the %10 clink gets I nettled $914.40.

Again considering I over payed for a few of these when I first got into collecting, and took a loss on one big one I think I did pretty well. :) I plan to put it in my AF15 savings fund, or into my OA fund. Any suggestions on which one it should go towards?

Congratulations on your sales!

Ultimately, the decision of what to get rests with what appeals to you the most. I'm partial to comics but love looking at OA. Right now, with what you netted, you could get a really nice piece depending on what your tastes are. A vintage piece, a cover...certainly many choices to be had.

Owning a copy of AF15 is amazingly cool and many people dream of such but I don't think you'll ever find yourself not being able to find a copy in grade.

Original art?

Well, once a piece is off the market, it's gone for good unless the sole owner decides to sell it and I get the feeling that more and more people are moving into that market thereby making it that much more competitive.

There's certainly something to be said of owning an item where there's only 1 in existence!

Congratulations on your sales!

Ultimately, the decision of what to get rests with what appeals to you the most. I'm partial to comics but love looking at OA. Right now, with what you netted, you could get a really nice piece depending on what your tastes are. A vintage piece, a cover...certainly many choices to be had.

Owning a copy of AF15 is amazingly cool and many people dream of such but I don't think you'll ever find yourself not being able to find a copy in grade.

Original art?

Well, once a piece is off the market, it's gone for good unless the sole owner decides to sell it and I get the feeling that more and more people are moving into that market thereby making it that much more competitive.

There's certainly something to be said of owning an item where there's only 1 in existence!

Yea I know what you mean, the one of a kind thing is what makes me usually up my bid past what I would for comics, but I also have to consider I might find something I like even more down the road. Its how I get myself through it when I lose an auction. :cry:

Your #121 looks sharp!

Great colors!

Thanks, the funny thing is is that the 121, and 128 were part of a dozen comics my dad found when he went to visit his mom. Some how they had gotten separated from the main group, and he had just happened to come across them, when helping her clean up, and organize her things. I was really stoked to say the least!

I just knocked over my copy of X-men 266, and blunted the corner. :cry: The corner isn't color broken, so I think a press can fix it. I was already thinking of doing it since it already had some non-color breaking spine ticks, but still why couldn't it have been one of the dollar books next to it.

1 1