• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X Men #60 opinions?

20 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a batch of submissions, and I'm trying to decide between certain candidates. What do you think about this X Men #60? It's a real beauty, and without sounding like a cliche it looks like it just rolled off the press. If I send it in, I'll post the results. In the meantime, care to guess?

The back is flawless.

xmen60a.jpg

xmen60abck.jpg

IM000513.jpg

ooo.gifshocked.gifooo.gifshocked.gifooo.gifshocked.gifooo.gifshocked.gifooo.gif

Is that a fleck of paint gone in the black in the lower right corner about an inch up from the corner? And are their some very very minor stress lines on the left about 1 inch down from the top staple and another one at the bottom of the bottom staple? I can't quite tell the stress lines from the scan. A blown up scan can sometimes magnify something that isn't really apparent to the naked eye. Those are the kind of nits they would look at at the very top grades. Nice centering and the top, right, and bottom edges look in good shape. I would hazard 9.6 + or - .2. Can't tell page color from the scan, and what is the state of the cover gloss - that sometimes doesn't come through on a picture real well. Very nice book (IMHO).

Is that a fleck of paint gone in the black in the lower right corner about an inch up from the corner?

Nope, that's a yellow dot printed on. Might be part of the artwork, or might be a printer's defect.

And are their some very very minor stress lines on the left about 1 inch down from the top staple and another one at the bottom of the bottom staple?

Yep, there are those 2 exactly where tou see them. But in person, they are much harder to detect. The photo's have a lot of light on them, and the angle as well makes them look worse than they are.

Can't tell page color from the scan

Just added a pic. laugh.gif

and what is the state of the cover gloss -

Still retains its full gloss. When held up to the light, the book looks wet. laugh.gif

Yep. I've seen 9.6's with a couple of VERY minor stresses such as these, but I'm fairly certain this will garner a 9.4 from CGC, and possibly(I emphasize possibly ) a 9.6 on a good day. I've examined other slabbed 9.6's and this one measures up to a couple. laugh.gif

I'm very pleased because I've got another 9.2 copy of this book, and I forgot I had this one until today. When I pulled it out, I was shocked that I forgot how nice it was.

Maybe I should sell it on ebay as a pre-determined 9.9, like a certain IF 14 owner. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Only $1500 for the best I've ever seen. tongue.gifgrin.gif

I'd say 9.4, 9.6 on a good day. Anything 9.2 up is well worth slabbing sales wise. Even if you get nailed with an 8.5 to 9.0 you'll probably at least break even vs selling unslabbed. If you got a 9.6 you would do quite well, only been one 9.6 on eBay the last 10 months. smile.gif Gotta go, my wife wonders what the heck I'm doing on the computer this late. crazy.gifwink.gif

The pic itself is fuzzy, and close up, so you don't get the full picture. In person, you'd see that there's no way it's less than a 9.4.

The bottom left corner looks a little ragged, and looks like a bit of wear along the bottom edge. Given this and the spine stresses I would give it a 9.2. I would say that it has an outside shot at a 9.4 though. Nice book. grin.gif

Man, I guess these pics are NOT doing justice to the book.

If this is an outside 9.4, then I've got A LOT of over-graded CGC 9.4's. I could crack my CGC 9.4's open, and post them here, and most of you would give them 9.0's and outside 9.2's. Yeesh! smirk.gif

I'll send it in, and post the results.

Well, you don't have to wait on the edge of your seat. You'll all forget about it, and I'll post the result when I recieve it. Should only take a couple of months, I hope. crazy.gif

True enough, that's why I don't expect consistent answers. And even when you have the book infront of you, it can still be a crapshoot. tongue.gif

I've learned from hard experience to be very pessimistic when shipping my books to CGC. That way I have more chance of being pleasantly surprised when they come back. My first test submission to CGC almost ruined me later on. I sent 20 books off that I thought were perfect. Got back a couple of 9.8's, a bunch of 9.6's, a couple of 9.4's and a 9.2. Well all right! These books were 25 - 30 years old and I thought I had it down pat. cool.gif

Sooo, I sent in a bigger batch of about a hundred books that I thought looked just as nice. Disaster!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif Some books came back as low as 5.5. shocked.gif There were a lot of 7.5, 8.0 books. Several 9.0 and 9.2 books. Only about 20 percent achieved even a 9.4, a very few 9.6's and a couple of 9.8's. Fifteen hundred bucks worth of almost worthless stuff. I eventually managed to scrape out a small profit (very small), but it was a scare. (I have found you can sell low grade CGC books on eBay for 10 bucks or so and at least recoup some of your expenses - and a couple of 9.8's can make up for a lot of misses.)

Then I really sat down and studied several books from CGC in each grade. I tried to figure out EXACTLY what they were looking for. After a lot of study and some REALLY ruthless selection on my part I sent in my next batch. This time I think I got closer. A nice selection of 9.6's, several 9.8's, several 9.4's, and only a handful of nasty surprises. Again these were books that I thought looked PERFECT.

What have I learned - BE A PESSIMIST! USE PRE-SCREENING! Don't allow yourself to overlook even the smallest flaw in a book.

My two cents worth and more. smirk.gifgrin.gif

ditto here...Ive become so pessimistic in my grading that my last 5 books I have had graded were all graded higher than what I gave them! Ive become a mean grading machine...... grin.gif