• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KAMALA KHAN
1 1

879 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Xatari said:

Ok, I just posted the aforementioned info on our IG thread. It is Part 4 in our mini series this week, so it may be worth a look at the previous entries to get the full context. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsyP6XTh_-2/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=gn6gngdb41ed

Where are you getting this 1:100 ratio for a newsstand?

47 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

Sellers that still sell newsstands using the "1:100 lie"...... :whatthe:  

I'd stay away from them.

Not selling any of mine. Just doing research and trying to make a positive contribution to the community. 

59 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where are you getting this 1:100 ratio for a newsstand?

Hi,the 1:100 is based on an estimate from an article from Mile High comics referenced in the post series. 

Based on my years of hunting this particular copy, I’d say that is a reasonable estimate for 2012-2013  

15 minutes ago, Xatari said:

Not selling any of mine. Just doing research and trying to make a positive contribution to the community. 

Hi,the 1:100 is based on an estimate from an article from Mile High comics referenced in the post series. 

Based on my years of hunting this particular copy, I’d say that is a reasonable estimate for 2012-2013  

Ohhh,  Mile High.....:popcorn:

Do either of you who have responded have another data source about which I am unaware with a different number? I am trying to do research around this. I can pull every completed listing over the past few years and come up with a percentage, but again, based on my own personal experience, that number seems to be pretty accurate (if not generous) for this particular book. If there is another data source, that would be extremely helpful. 

Here are two additional articles relevant to this conversation.  If anyone has any others, please feel free to chime in. Please keep it positive.  No need for salt among friends.

Newsstand Estimates:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/comic-book-newsstand-editions-understanding-the-difference/

$3.99 Price Variants:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/newsstand-variants-3-99-newsstand-editions-and-the-doc-collection/

22 minutes ago, Xatari said:

Do either of you who have responded have another data source about which I am unaware with a different number? I am trying to do research around this. I can pull every completed listing over the past few years and come up with a percentage, but again, based on my own personal experience, that number seems to be pretty accurate (if not generous) for this particular book. If there is another data source, that would be extremely helpful. 

Pull up a chair

Thank you. I read through the thread, but I was hoping to find a source for factual information rather than speculation. It seems even throughout the thread you mentioned there are simply no hard numbers out there. Regardless, thanks for chiming in and posting the link. I don’t want to derail this Kamala thread, but we will be posting some really cool “Kamala firsts” this weekend. If anyone is interested, feel free to check out the IG at our previously listed link. We are HUGE Kamala fans!

There really isn't one that is concrete, but the Mile High info is very inaccurate.
Think of it like this. Newsstand print runs are on a sliding scale. That scale goes down faster
from around 1998 and on. The farther you go forward the lower the print run goes.

Valiantman has a simple graph that will explain it better.

Captain Marvel #14 is one of the worst "1st" appearances out there. "Kamala" appears in one panel in her civilian identity.

This is the extent of it, folks:

CaptainMarvel14-KamalaKhan.jpg.3f7e395878817cfa01d2d7700fc3d4ab.jpg

The only reason anyone knows this is even Kamala Khan is because someone from Marvel said it was. 

The appearance in Captain Marvel #17 is a little better, but not much:

CaptainMarvel17-KamalaKhan.jpg.b620b22660fabd854698e3b77239cfba.jpg

She isn't named and that's not how her powers work, but her logo is there so I guess that's her?

IMO All-New Marvel Now Point One is the book to have. There's an entire Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel story where she is named and is in costume.

rantrant

52 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you're going to say something is "estimated to be" something, say who is doing the estimate from the start, so people can evaluate how trustworthy the source is. Anyone can make an estimate. Doesn't mean it's right.

Certainly in a more formal blog or post, I would see your point, but we are talking about a social media post. I sited the source here when requested. 

Again, I’m not trying to sell or profit from this, I was just excited to share this with the community. I’m a bit surprised by the amount of friction in doing so. I am new to this forum so maybe it is ost residue, but I would have hoped this place would be a bit welcoming given the subject matter. 

40 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

Captain Marvel #14 is one of the worst "1st" appearances out there. "Kamala" appears in one panel in her civilian identity.

The only reason anyone knows this is even Kamala Khan is because someone from Marvel said it was. 

She isn't named and that's not how her powers work, but her logo is there so I guess that's her?

IMO All-New Marvel Now Point One is the book to have. There's an entire Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel story where she is named and is in costume.

rantrant

I don’t disagree. We actually posted a 9.8 copy of the McNiven Variant. I believe that is 1:75 but can’t confirm. Last I checked there were 11 on the CGC Census in 9.8. This is also a really fun rare Kamala! 

This weekend we are going to post pics of all our Kamala “1sts” which should be cool as I don’t believe I have seen another pic with all the different versions. 

3 hours ago, Xatari said:

Thank you. I read through the thread, but I was hoping to find a source for factual information rather than speculation. It seems even throughout the thread you mentioned there are simply no hard numbers out there. 

That is why it is irresponsible to just make a number up like 1:100. 1:100 is just a much speculation as any other number you could just make up, so it is best to not use a made up number at all and just say newsstand, which denotes a different distribution method and little else.

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

That is why it is irresponsible to just make a number up like 1:100. 1:100 is just a much speculation as any other number you could just make up, so it is best to not use a made up number at all and just say newsstand, which denotes a different distribution method and little else.

Happy to take this offline. Let’s not derail the Kamala thread any further. Cool?

21 minutes ago, Xatari said:

Happy to take this offline. Let’s not derail the Kamala thread any further. Cool?

Nah. It is best to counter posts like yours publicly. If you don't want to derail the thread then stop posting about it.

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

rantrant

I wish more would get that out.

1 hour ago, Xatari said:
2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you're going to say something is "estimated to be" something, say who is doing the estimate from the start, so people can evaluate how trustworthy the source is. Anyone can make an estimate. Doesn't mean it's right.

Certainly in a more formal blog or post, I would see your point, but we are talking about a social media post. I sited the source here when requested. 

Again, I’m not trying to sell or profit from this, I was just excited to share this with the community. I’m a bit surprised by the amount of friction in doing so. I am new to this forum so maybe it is ost residue, but I would have hoped this place would be a bit welcoming given the subject matter

Don't take it too hard. Some are a little hard on new members here. They are correct though Mile High is a terrible source
because he has a financial interest in that information.

48 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Don't take it too hard. Some are a little hard on new members here. They are correct though Mile High is a terrible source
because he has a financial interest in that information.

Exactly. Son't spread someone else's bad information, if you can't verify it.