• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KAMALA KHAN
1 1

879 posts in this topic

So if someone spends a couple hundred via pull list to get every issue, most of which are destined to end up in the bargain bin - and someone else saves their money and only buys the valuable ones as they're rising.... who's the one who's the genius and who's the one who overpaid? (shrug)

decent logic, but you forgot there are two variables involved, not just one.

You covered money (cost), but your comment ignores the other important variable, time.

I actually read the comic books I buy when I buy them, i dont buy trades (I collect comics), and i dont read digital (I collect comics). That's without even addressing the issue of supporting the companies and creators I enjoy.

Also, I didnt use the word genius, others did.

I only mentioned that I pulled the books in question, since I was being asked "what do you think people should buy". I bought it off the shelf, so clearly I wasnt against buying. Just offering people friendly advice, which they are free to ignore, about not overpaying for hype when the fundamentals dont justify it.

Fair enough, it just can come off as saying "what I do is smart, what you do is not very smart".

I look at it as one person supporting the hobby and the other looking to profit financially from the hobby exclusively.(Could be a big win or loss.)

I have no problem with either, but the 2nd person shouldn't try to pretend to be the first.

but are they as necessarily mutually exclusive?

Couldn't someone be a fan of something, and then read Ms Marvel #1 and think "THIS IS THE BEST COMIC EVER, THIS IS GOING TO BE A HIT, I"M GOING TO LOAD UP" and just buy 5 of each copy going forward, keeping one set to read, one set to slab, and 3 sets to sell (presumably to help pay for the stuff you want to keep, as well as your Kamala Khan Halloween costume)?.

I don't think that's so far fetched, and you would end up talking it up because you really like the character/story AND because it might help you financially. Ultimately, all of these markets are subject to speculation from good/bad/motivated information, from true and fake fans, and people should ultimately be responsible for what they purchase and how much they choose to pay for them. There's no perfect information, and people CAN BE AS informed now as they ever have been in the past when buying comics.

I really want to believe your right.

It does happen. A lot of us loved Todd the Ugliest Kid even sent the writer a signed copy of his TPB from a lot of fans.

It just not the majority anymore not even close.

So if someone spends a couple hundred via pull list to get every issue, most of which are destined to end up in the bargain bin - and someone else saves their money and only buys the valuable ones as they're rising.... who's the one who's the genius and who's the one who overpaid? (shrug)

decent logic, but you forgot there are two variables involved, not just one.

You covered money (cost), but your comment ignores the other important variable, time.

I actually read the comic books I buy when I buy them, i dont buy trades (I collect comics), and i dont read digital (I collect comics). That's without even addressing the issue of supporting the companies and creators I enjoy.

Also, I didnt use the word genius, others did.

I only mentioned that I pulled the books in question, since I was being asked "what do you think people should buy". I bought it off the shelf, so clearly I wasnt against buying. Just offering people friendly advice, which they are free to ignore, about not overpaying for hype when the fundamentals dont justify it.

Fair enough, it just can come off as saying "what I do is smart, what you do is not very smart".

I look at it as one person supporting the hobby and the other looking to profit financially from the hobby exclusively.(Could be a big win or loss.)

I have no problem with either, but the 2nd person shouldn't try to pretend to be the first.

but are they as necessarily mutually exclusive?

Couldn't someone be a fan of something, and then read Ms Marvel #1 and think "THIS IS THE BEST COMIC EVER, THIS IS GOING TO BE A HIT, I"M GOING TO LOAD UP" and just buy 5 of each copy going forward, keeping one set to read, one set to slab, and 3 sets to sell (presumably to help pay for the stuff you want to keep, as well as your Kamala Khan Halloween costume)?.

I don't think that's so far fetched, and you would end up talking it up because you really like the character/story AND because it might help you financially. Ultimately, all of these markets are subject to speculation from good/bad/motivated information, from true and fake fans, and people should ultimately be responsible for what they purchase and how much they choose to pay for them. There's no perfect information, and people CAN BE AS informed now as they ever have been in the past when buying comics.

I really want to believe your right.

It does happen. A lot of us loved Todd the Ugliest Kid even sent the writer a signed copy of his TPB from a lot of fans.

It just not the majority anymore not even close.

Thanks for involving us in that Todd TPB auto deal. Way too much fun. I seriously miss the book but it sounds like a potential comeback is in the making.

So it looks like the cpt marvel 17 2nd print vs marvel point one debate has been settled.

What "debate"? Neither one is a first appearance, and I'd say they're both desirable for collectors.

The "debate" that marvel point one was the book to own over cm 17 2nd print...that debate.

So it looks like the cpt marvel 17 2nd print vs marvel point one debate has been settled.

What "debate"? Neither one is a first appearance, and I'd say they're both desirable for collectors.

The "debate" that marvel point one was the book to own flip over cm 17 2nd print...that debate.

Fixed....

The "debate" that marvel point one was the book to own flip over cm 17 2nd print...that debate.

Fixed....

Comparing end sales it looks like cm 17 b would bring a nicer flip.

Fixed....

Comparing end sales it looks like cm 17 b would bring a nicer flip.

I have them both and neither will be leaving my collection any time soon. My extra copies of Point One, perhaps, but not my best copy.

This book is just tight in supply.every copy I have sold I have seen flipped for double. I'm the fool for not holding longer. This book is a year old and crazy. Will it go down as the hottest modern ? It's on it's way. I am holding , done selling till the flipping dust settles. Another issue is getting a 9.8 it's 50/50 right now out of the 100 graded, so it's not a slam dunk.

Thanks for the warm welcome - I am trying to learn as much as I can about investing in comics. Couple of questions for you guys

How many on a run typically get graded 9.8 on a new comic?

This is the one that is blowing me away BATMAN DARK KNIGHT III THE MASTER RACE #1 JIM LEE 1:500 VARIANT PRE-SALE - $500 for a pre-sale??? I can't believe this comic is going for this much as a pre-sale.

Edited by 401k Comic Collec

Thanks for the warm welcome - I am trying to learn as much as I can about investing in comics. Couple of questions for you guys

How many on a run typically get graded 9.8 on a new comic?

This is the one that is blowing me away BATMAN DARK KNIGHT III THE MASTER RACE #1 JIM LEE 1:500 VARIANT PRE-SALE - $500 for a pre-sale??? I can't believe this comic is going for this much as a pre-sale.

There is only 1 for every 500 copies that a retailer orders.

1. How many retailers are going to order 500 copies?

2. Wait until you see how much it is going for the week it comes out!

1St of all..DUDE. I was comparing it to a ms. marvel issue 17 on a ms. marvel thread. sorry it you did not approve lol..but really who are you in life? Do i bother you? You talk to me like a boss but if you saw me face to face you would not say mess. WHY DONT YOU JUST STICK TO POSTING ABOUT COMICS AND LEAVE ME ALONE. IM NOT HAVING IT! If you dont like something just keep it moving..im not going to be your punching bag when you dont have anything about comics to say..looser :)