• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KAMALA KHAN
1 1

879 posts in this topic

Just a word of caution for people in general, paying high prices for moderns. Not specific to this book, if the "fundamentals" are strong for a book, it's price curve will be closer to linear across grade ranges. If its a massive parabolic arc at the top end, be cautious.

Also, always consider what you could buy for equivalent money. When books suddenly spike in value, its good to reality check where they fall in the hierarchy of important books. Is a 2nd print copy of a brand new minor character worth the same as whatever key books you could get for the same money? Important to look at.

If she stays written well and a key marvel player, this book will continue to rise. It is rare. The book has been selling for over 500 in 9.8 and there is still less than 100 graded. Is this book the next BA 12 ? You know it could be . I have no doubt that it is being purchased by fans and flippers, just like any red hot book. I know some of my hoarded copies that I sold where flipped for more money. Whatever happens to Kamala rise or fall, captain marvel 17 2nd print is the clear winner.

Calling a 2nd print rare is a topic worthy of a whole thread itself. Rarity only matters when there is demand... so demand is what we are really discussing.

But havent you just proven my point by laying out the case for speculation:

"if she becomes something she is not currently, then in the future, the price being paid now will be justified"

that's a pretty good definition of speculation.

And that's before we get into people buying multiples, and books being flipped.

I am not attacking speculation, flipping, or any of that. People can do what they like with their money, we are all free. I am just defending/validating my response in this thread. It's "value" is caused by speculators selling to each other, and fence sitting speculators getting off the fence, "before it goes any higher", and getting in on the 'action'.

Dude you don't need your point proven at my expense. I was not arguing against it. She is on here way up and that 2nd print is about the cover.

Just a word of caution for people in general, paying high prices for moderns. Not specific to this book, if the "fundamentals" are strong for a book, it's price curve will be closer to linear across grade ranges. If its a massive parabolic arc at the top end, be cautious.

Also, always consider what you could buy for equivalent money. When books suddenly spike in value, its good to reality check where they fall in the hierarchy of important books. Is a 2nd print copy of a brand new minor character worth the same as whatever key books you could get for the same money? Important to look at.

I think your a genius . Thanks for telling us what to do. + 1

1.) i wasnt trying to do anything at your "expense", so I am not sure why you are getting upset and triple posting single sentence taunts. You replied to my question, and I was saying that I think you showed what I was saying was true.

2.) As far as the character, I am quite possibly the only person in this thread who was actually pulling the book when it was new. So when people are quoting print numbers, I am part of the statistics. I have pulled every Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel book since 06. I am fully aware of "what" kamala khan is, is doing, and have been since before the band wagon pulled up.

as for my genius advice, its for those over paying for books, not people selling multiple copies into the hype as you said you were.

People that dont like it, dont have to listen to it. And, its my advice for all markets that experience bubbles, and momo(momentum) chasing buyers, not just comics...

I didn't see anything personal/condescending in his comments. You need thicker skin.

He could have used one post though. lol

lol, yah, i chose my words carefully in commenting on the triple post for "one liners", cause i know I am bad for multiple posting too

Not upset , just think your comments are condescending. You triple posted first, gold bug . Whatever it would be a stupid argument. You win . You are probably the only one in this thread that originally ordered this title.

gold bug is a compliment, not an insult. Its fine to be playing in stocks with the FED's money, as long as you dont get caught when the fire exits close. 2008 never ended, its just on a debt fueled time out ;)

Might be a good year to book the QE profits and go heavy to the sidelines/cash. Even if you dont like hard assets like gold and land, its gonna be a gong show this fall for all the bubbles. I've said it many times on these boards, the comic bubble(and all asset bubbles) wont burst until the free money ends.

The money printers will have one last hurrah before the world finally realizes its all for nought, lots of QE shenanigans left to play out.

Until then, Kamala Kahn 2nd prints to infinity and beyond :D

Edited by CBT

I have pulled every Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel book since 06.

as for my genius advice, its for those over paying for books,

How much did you pay for all those books back then?

Seems like a few of them are valuable now but a lot of them are now mostly bargain-bin books selling for under cover. (except the speculator-driven ones) :cool:

So if someone spends a couple hundred via pull list to get every issue, most of which are destined to end up in the bargain bin - and someone else saves their money and only buys the valuable ones as they're rising.... who's the one who's the genius and who's the one who overpaid? (shrug)

So if someone spends a couple hundred via pull list to get every issue, most of which are destined to end up in the bargain bin - and someone else saves their money and only buys the valuable ones as they're rising.... who's the one who's the genius and who's the one who overpaid? (shrug)

decent logic, but you forgot there are two variables involved, not just one.

You covered money (cost), but your comment ignores the other important variable, time.

I actually read the comic books I buy when I buy them, i dont buy trades (I collect comics), and i dont read digital (I collect comics). That's without even addressing the issue of supporting the companies and creators I enjoy.

Also, I didnt use the word genius, others did.

I only mentioned that I pulled the books in question, since I was being asked "what do you think people should buy". I bought it off the shelf, so clearly I wasnt against buying. Just offering people friendly advice, which they are free to ignore, about not overpaying for hype when the fundamentals dont justify it.

Edited by CBT

If Kevin Fiege came out and said "we love KK, but we have no plans to use her for the foreseeable future in the MCU/TV", what effect would that have on these books?

If its not speculators selling to speculators, it shouldnt have much. But, you'd be kidding yourself if you dont realize that it would vaporize the "value" of these books.

A book is "worth" what someone will pay for it. If you can find someone who will pay, $1000 bucks for a Karmala Kahn second print because it has her on the cover, good on you.

But where speculation comes in, is volatility and the size of movements in price. If Kevin Feige came out and said, "Poor under represented Muslim Women rejoice, we have decided to replace Carol Danvers with Kamala Kahn in the upcoming Captain Marvel movie." The book would double or triple over night. That's speculation at work, I have given you examples of upside and downside spikes.

So, I am not hating on Speculation. Just defending my original "specs selling to specs" comment. I believe it to be self evidently true, so I shouldnt have to defend it, but I will. When people are paying $500 for a modern 2nd print of a character who hasnt even sold a million comics in her career total(aka a minor character). That's CLEARLY speculators at work. Otherwise every low print/2nd print/variant of a minor character would be worth money.

My original comment stands:

"I can't believe how much this book sells for"

CBT - "specs selling to specs"

if you dont agree, so be it. As for me, I just like to put it out there for the less experienced and the lurker so they realize that when speculation is in play, risk is amplified. Upside risk can mean great profits, but downsize risks can mean big loses. Kamala Kahn 2nd print might always be a desirable "classic cover", but if she doesnt end up in the MCU, these inflated valuations wont hold up. 2c

Edited by CBT

You covered money (cost), but your comment ignores the other important variable, time.

I actually read the comic books I buy when I buy them, i dont buy trades (I collect comics), and i dont read digital (I collect comics). That's without even addressing the issue of supporting the companies and creators I enjoy.

I only mentioned that I pulled the books in question, since I was being asked "what do you think people should buy". I bought it off the shelf, so clearly I wasnt against buying. Just offering people friendly advice, which they are free to ignore, about not overpaying for hype when the fundamentals dont justify it.

Fair enough, it just can come off as saying "what I do is smart, what you do is not very smart".

Fair enough, it just can come off as saying "what I do is smart, what you do is not very smart".

I look at it as one person supporting the hobby and the other looking to profit financially from the hobby exclusively.(Could be a big win or loss.)

I have no problem with either, but the 2nd person shouldn't try to pretend to be the first.

Books like CM 17 2nd print, when I find them cheap out in the wild, help me get more books that I actually care about. To flip something like this and buy an original EC horror, well I'm happy and whoever buys what I'm selling is happy. It's a win all around.

Yeah I'm ticked that I didn't keep any potential 9.6-9.8s, was getting close to $50 for them raw when I had them. Who knew the house would sho gone crazy?

I look at it as one person supporting the hobby and the other looking to profit financially from the hobby exclusively.(Could be a big win or loss.)

I have no problem with either, but the 2nd person shouldn't try to pretend to be the first.

but are they as necessarily mutually exclusive?

Couldn't someone be a fan of something, and then read Ms Marvel #1 and think "THIS IS THE BEST COMIC EVER, THIS IS GOING TO BE A HIT, I"M GOING TO LOAD UP" and just buy 5 of each copy going forward, keeping one set to read, one set to slab, and 3 sets to sell (presumably to help pay for the stuff you want to keep, as well as your Kamala Khan Halloween costume)?.

I don't think that's so far fetched, and you would end up talking it up because you really like the character/story AND because it might help you financially. Ultimately, all of these markets are subject to speculation from good/bad/motivated information, from true and fake fans, and people should ultimately be responsible for what they purchase and how much they choose to pay for them. There's no perfect information, and people CAN BE AS informed now as they ever have been in the past when buying comics.

Edited by Revat