• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure superhero thread

170 posts in this topic

Captain Freedom

speed43.jpg

:applause:

This cover's great!

Some sort of Kid Gang, a superhero, a "Mad Scientist", a goofy looking robot, even a little bondage.

The only thing that could make it better is the addition of a few nazis. lol

There are some wonderful books in this thread.

I agree Duffman!!! I think Avison packed in quite a bit (thumbs u

Wow Claudio - cool stuff! Could I prevail upon you to write a paragraph about the Saturn character with rough context of his situation?

And Frisco - you either specialize in second bananas or have a nice deep GA stack!

thanks, Pat

(ok- ps- and that little gal on that crazy bondage block is out there ! + Jon B. still searching for your Green Turtle...)

Edited by pcalhoun

Wow Claudio - cool stuff! Could I prevail upon you to write a paragraph about the Saturn character with rough context of his situation?

You mean a quick summary here or a brief article for some purpose? In the second case, I could do that, I should do some reading, otherwise I am not enough learned to give a full picture, but it’s a pretty landmark series here, continuously referenced by comic artists.

Here’s one by Magnus, a very famous italian artist:

a4pBc2y.jpg

and another one by Corrado Mastantuono (both a Disney and realistic author):

29v2Vtr.jpg

I also see Bonelli recently homaged it in the latest Martin Mystere almanac (2015), which features a full Martin Mystere story referencing the original series:

hFvdSVVh.jpg

Zavattini was a famous writer and anti-fascist too, but the strip belongs as much to Pedrocchi as it does to him (in fact, Zavattini did not write comics and was originally uncredited).

Sorry for the small pics they’re the largest ones posted on the web…

Also worth noting that, although the original plot subject was by famous italian writer Cesare Zavattini, the final story and dialogue were by Federico Pedrocchi, which has been the godfather of Disney publishing in Italy, and a true pioneer in establishing a school of italian authors at Mondadori (the publisher of Disney).[/url]

Very interesting! :applause:

Pat, Mark… I’ll see what I can do. A short description should not be a problem…

Maybe I should read the chapter about Pedrocchi in my friend's book about comics publishing under fascism and then make a brief summary about him. "Saturn" is quintessentially Pedrocchi, after all. hm