• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's DARK TOWER TV & movie franchise

139 posts in this topic

Idris Elba's Roland Deschain Finally Sees Some Action On The Set Of THE DARK TOWER

idris-elba-unbuttons-his-shirt-on-the-dark-tower-set-21.jpg

idris-elba-films-dark-tower-scenes-with-tom-taylor-as-jake-01.jpg

The latest photos from the set of The Dark Tower show Roland (Idris Elba) taking out a bad guy clad entirely in black after seemingly stabbing him in the back as he shoots at persons unknown below. Just Jared indicates that this was a fight scene though, so it may not be that Roland throws the knife from a distance; perhaps they get into some sort of scuffle before The Gunslinger manages to take him out.

Interestingly, the weapon of the guy Roland takes out looks quite futuristic, but many of the people he and his ka-tet encounter along the way do sport sci-fi style swords and guns from alternate Earths. However, is he just a goon serving The Man in Black, a vampire, or (and this is unlikely given his appearance) a Can-toi? We'll have to wait and see, but this movie just keeps looking better and better.

Directed by Nikolaj Arcel, The Dark Tower is currently set to be released on February 17th, next year.

COLLIDER: ‘The Dark Tower’ Movie Is Actually a Sequel

As Scott Wampler of BMD surmised back in May, and which EW has now confirmed thanks to their continuing coverage of the film, The Dark Tower will actually be a sort of sequel to the book series, but will also model the structure of the first book, “The Gunslinger.”

Arcel confirmed as much in EW’s report:

“The hardcore fans of The Dark Tower series will know that this is actually a sequel to the books in a way. It has a lot of the same elements, a lot of the same characters, but it is a different journey.”

Arcel also commented on the circular nature of the story as a way to take book readers at its end back to its beginning in the first film:

“It’s completely circular, cogs and wheels. Everything fits together. It has a great little power to it. It fits very well into the nature of the entire saga itself.”

COLLIDER: ‘The Dark Tower’ Movie Is Actually a Sequel

As Scott Wampler of BMD surmised back in May, and which EW has now confirmed thanks to their continuing coverage of the film, The Dark Tower will actually be a sort of sequel to the book series, but will also model the structure of the first book, “The Gunslinger.”

Arcel confirmed as much in EW’s report:

“The hardcore fans of The Dark Tower series will know that this is actually a sequel to the books in a way. It has a lot of the same elements, a lot of the same characters, but it is a different journey.”

Arcel also commented on the circular nature of the story as a way to take book readers at its end back to its beginning in the first film:

“It’s completely circular, cogs and wheels. Everything fits together. It has a great little power to it. It fits very well into the nature of the entire saga itself.”

Yeah...play off the stupid ending of the book so it doesn't make it look so bad

Just stick to the source material. How hard is that?

This isn't me being racist. But why is Roland black?!?!? They couldn't find a white actor good enough to play the part??? I know Clint Eastwood is old as dirt but that still would have been better than Idris Elba.

I love Stephen King and The Dark Tower books are some of my favorite (except the last one...horrible ending to a great story).

He created a very specific and detailed character in Roland. One that I could picture in my mind. I was hoping to see that on the screen.

***However, I would love to see Idris Elba as the next 007

Earlier today, Matthew McConaughey took to Twitter to reveal a new teaser poster of sorts for The Dark Tower. This one teases the presence of The Crimson King, a character we only just recently learned is going to be included in this adaptation of/sequel to the series of novels by Stephen King.

ZAp92y0.jpg

Stephen King's Dark Tower Trailer Leaked Online

idris-elba-204491.jpg

As if there weren't enough awesome clips and trailers released at New York Comic Con this weekend, fans were given another treat on Monday morning.

The trailer for the anticipated adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower was leaked online.

(We have removed the video at the request of Sony)

The new Sony film, expected to release in February 2017, has garnered a massive following throughout production. Not only is there a large fanbase for the book and comic series, but the addition of superstars Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba has sky-rocketed excitement for Dark Tower.

Roland "The Gunslinger" Deschain, played by Idris Elba is roaming a western landscape, and our modern world, in search of the infamous Dark Tower. Matthew McConaughey's Man In Black is doing his best to tear the world apart in the process.

Roland Deschain And The Man In Black Face-Off In This New Image From THE DARK TOWER

CzLeTNnUcAApn4n.jpg

A new still from the upcoming big-screen adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower has been released, featuring the villainous Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey) and The Gunslinger (Idris Elba).

I've been informed this photo was recently added to the film's official electronic press kit. So, definitely legit.

Supposedly this means a trailer could be right around the corner.

On 2016-04-13 at 11:17 AM, comix4fun said:

Start speculating and buying up all those Dark Tower Hardcovers. lol

I'd be going for the Pulps they were originally published in. Seems no one knows about them and the HC collecting the serial is considered the first appearance. (shrug) 

The Dark Tower Trailer Officially Rated And Ready For Release

darktower-crimsonking-191432-320x180.png

The first trailer for The Dark Tower has been officially rated and should be released in the very near future.

The Dark Tower trailer was rated by Consumer Protection British Columbia and approved for all audiences. The trailer has a runtime of 2 minutes and 32 seconds, suggesting it will be a full-length trailer and not a teaser.

The Dark Tower trailer was officially rated on April 28. Considering the timing, the trailer could begin appearing in theaters as soon as this weekend, possibly attached to the North American release of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

The Consumer Protections BC website actually shows two separate rating entries for The Dark Tower trailer. These are most likely just individual entries for the 2D and 3D versions of the same trailer.