• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King's DARK TOWER TV & movie franchise

139 posts in this topic

The storyline was loosely adapted into a film in 2017, though it failed to connect with critics nor audiences. Likely due to the amount of material that needed to be covered, the narrative faced many struggles, though a new series from Amazon aims to correct those issues with long-form storytelling. The series has reportedly recruited Game of Thrones star Jerome Flynn, who played Ser Bronn, for the adaptation.

Flynn himself revealed the news to Mirror, noting “I’ve always said I’d like to play a cowboy – and now one has come along. I’m excited for that.”

The actor joins previously confirmed Mindhunter star Sam Strike as main character Roland Deschain and Vikings star Jasper Pääkkönen in an unspecified role.

Deadline previously detailed of the series, "The Dark Tower TV series is independent from the film and is meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. I hear it will take place many years before the events depicted in the feature and will focus on Roland Deschain’s (Strike) origin story – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black, his first love, and his first mission as a gunslinger."

There's no question that Ron Howard has been one of the most prolific directors of all time, but in recent years his projects have suffered from unique but significant setbacks. While some people tend to focus on Solo: A Star Wars Story and the challenge placed on him in taking over the production, Howard also worked for years to bring Stephen King's classic Dark Tower series to the big screen.

It finally happened in 2017 with The Dark Tower premiering in theaters with Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, but even Howard recognizes what went wrong with that film. While appearing on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Howard admitted that the film should have leaned harder into the horror elements, focused more on Elba's Gunslinger and less on the kid, and possibly been rated R.

“I think it should’ve been horror. I think that it landed in a place—both in our minds and the studio’s—that it could be PG-13 and sort of a boy’s adventure," said Howard. "I really think we made a mistake not—I mean I’m not sure we could’ve made this movie, but I think if we could’ve made a darker, more hard-boiled look and make it The Gunslinger’s character study more than Jake. I think in retrospect that would’ve been more exciting. We always felt like we were kind of holding back something, and I think at the end of the day it was that."

As Howard himself recognized, those movies are a harder sell. But with the recent resurgence in interest for Stephen King stories, which also goes hand in hand with the popularity of the horror genre, holding back for an R-rated Dark Tower film might have been the better option.

My mind wandered to the Tower again today.  Sadly (or not, maybe the pilot sucked), Amazon isn't moving forward with the proposed TV series -- https://deadline.com/2020/01/the-dark-tower-series-adaptation-dead-pilot-amazon-not-going-forward-1202830606/

But considering that Amazon greenlit season 4 of "The Man in the High Castle", I'm not so sure I trust their judgment.

One of pop culture’s newest masters of horror, Mike Flanagan, is about to have his new series, The Mightnight Club, unleashed on Netflix. Drawing inspiration and its title from the 1994 novel by Christopher Pike, this ten-episode series was created by Flanagan and Leah Fong. They also serve as executive producers alongside Trevor Macy, Julia Bicknell, and Christopher Pike. The series debuts on Netflix on October 7, but The Midnight Club isn’t the only piece of classic horror literature on Flanagan’s mind.

Speaking exclusively with Flanagan and producer Trevor Macy via Zoom about The Midnight Club, JoBlo’s Alex Maidy pointed out a Dark Tower Easter egg in the series. After confirming the nod to the Stephen King classic series of novels, Alex asked if there were any chance the duo would adapt King’s epic tale for a series or film. Flanagan replied by saying The Dark Tower is “1000% a dream project.”

While the will is strong, Flanagan also recognizes that The Dark Tower is a “development and rights nightmare.” However, He says they are “going to keep pushing to try and make it happen until someone stops them.”

Edited by Bosco685

Wizard and Glass was indeed a chore to get through....the first two times. Third time was a charm

It would be a good way to start the series, since working as a flashback half way through the series wasn't a good idea. He basically used it as filler because he had no idea how to finish the story, and lets be honest, he royally screwed the ending anyway.

Rushing a project because you fear your mortality has been proven here....

Anyways

A 10 episode, two or three season series would be a delight, if staying true to the source material, and giving depth to the last two books, which quite frankly, sucked. They were terrible 

On 10/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, MetaMucil said:

Wizard and Glass was indeed a chore to get through....the first two times. Third time was a charm

It would be a good way to start the series, since working as a flashback half way through the series wasn't a good idea. He basically used it as filler because he had no idea how to finish the story, and lets be honest, he royally screwed the ending anyway.

Rushing a project because you fear your mortality has been proven here....

Anyways

A 10 episode, two or three season series would be a delight, if staying true to the source material, and giving depth to the last two books, which quite frankly, sucked. They were terrible 

Yeah up to book 5 I thought it was amazing. Final volumes not so much. Having a proper go at a new adaption could be a chance to make it right and I’d bet King would be interested in having that opportunity too.

The film was such a waste of the talent involved. If they stuck to the source material of the first few books it could be incredible!

"The Haunting of Hill House” and “Midnight Mass” creator Mike Flanagan and his producing partner Trevor Macy have acquired the rights to adapt Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” into a TV series.

Flanagan and Macy revealed the news Thursday in an interview with Deadline, which dove more into the pair’s recent decision to move their Intrepid Pictures’ overall deal from Netflix to Amazon.

“Predating our deal with Amazon, we acquired the rights to ‘The Dark Tower,’ which if you know anything about me, you know it has been my Holy Grail of a project for most of my life,” Flanagan said. “We actually have those rights carved out of our Amazon deal, which doesn’t mean that they can’t or won’t get behind it at some point — you don’t know. But that’s something we’ve been developing ourselves and are really passionate about finally getting it up on its feet at some point.”

In the latest episode of the -script Apart podcast to discuss his acclaimed Netflix miniseries Midnight Mass, Mike Flanagan opened up about the in-development The Dark Tower series. The creator, excited about his take on the material, revealed that the series may not stream on Prime Video, in spite of his and creative partner Trevor Macy's recent overall deal set at the streamer. See what Flanagan explained below:

"[My creative partner Trevor Macy and I] have The Dark Tower. We carved it out from our Netflix deal, knowing we were leaving, and we carved it out from our Amazon deal as well, knowing that they'd already tried to do [a Dark Tower adaptation] and might be reluctant to do it. So, The Dark Tower doesn't have a studio. We don't have a partner on it yet, so I'm developing it myself, which is really a blast. And that's my dream project, you know? I've wanted to do that for so long. If we can get it off the ground, if we can actually get it going, I'm not ruling out Amazon's involvement down the line. Our relationship with them is brand new, so we'll have to see. But, yeah, I work on The Dark Tower in one capacity or another every day."

Flanagan recently addressed his potential Dark Tower reboot with the -script Apart podcast, as reported by Empire. He discussed his interest in bringing characters from his previous King adaptation, Doctor Sleep, into the series, name-dropping figures like Rose the Hat and True Knot. "The thing about the King universe is, it’s all connected," said Flanagan before proclaiming The Dark Tower as the universe’s nexus point. "There’s room in that world for True Knot themselves, there’s room for Rose the Hat."

Horror legend Stephen King has voiced his support for Mike Flanagan and his efforts to make a TV show based on King's book series The Dark Tower. A fantasy western series of seven main books, The Dark Tower follows the adventure of Roland Deschain as he travels across a post-apocalyptic wasteland in search of the titular Dark Tower. The series is best known for connecting all of King's books into one multiverse through the Dark Tower.

The series is best known for connecting all of King's books into one multiverse through the Dark TowerStephen King has given his support for a TV series adaptation of The Dark Tower that is being developed by The Haunting of Hill House creator Mike Flanagan

Supposedly this is still in the works at Amazon.

Mike Flanagan & Trevor Macy Reveal ‘The Dark Tower’ Adaptation In Works At Intrepid, Talk Leaving Netflix For Amazon, ‘Midnight Club’s Cancellation & More

This is a pivotal moment for Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy‘s Intrepid Pictures, which the duo launched in 2004. After six years creating and producing for Netflix, including the last four under an overall deal, the duo behind The Haunting TV franchise and Midnight Mass are moving to Amazon Studios. Additionally, they are taking on their most ambitious project to date: a screen adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, which creator Flanagan envisions as a TV series to run for five seasons, followed by two stand-alone features.

In an interview with Deadline, Flanagan and Macy, known for their extensive film and TV work in the horror genre, break the news that they have acquired the rights to the mammoth book series, which draws from multiple genres including dark fantasy, science fantasy, horror and Western. Flanagan reveals that he has written a pilot script and season outlines for The Dark Tower, which he has described for years as his dream project. He has even shared in interviews his vision for the opening shot, a black screen with the words “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed,” leading to a landscape with a silhouette in the distance.

(Aug-2023) - Mike Flanagan Says His Adaptation Of THE DARK TOWER Is Still Very Much In Play

Today, on a new episode of FANGORIA's The Kingcast, Flanagan provided the following Dark Tower status update:

"I feel really good about where we are. Oddly, where we are at the moment is completely frozen, because of the strike, but we had a wonderful spring with it and we're making enormous progress on it. And I have every reason to believe that on the other side of the strike, it's gonna be priority #1.

We have great partners on it that I can't talk about, and we've got some really exciting actors circling on it that I can't talk about, and we have some potentially groundbreaking approaches to the filmmaking of it that I just can't really talk about ... but what I can say is that my fears that any momentum we had developed was gonna be obliterated [by the strike], well, I don't really worry about that.

We're in a healthy place. We are of course in solidarity with the WGA and SAG, and once those immediate needs are taken care of and everyone's back to work, I think that's when we're gonna immediately deploy. But it's going very well."