• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX vs CGC Grading
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Sorry if this post has already been discussed. I could not find a question similar.

I recently got a Werewolf by Night 32 graded 9.0 White by PGX.

It seems PGX is devalued more than CGC or CBCS. My question is, would taking my comic out of the PGX slab to get it regraded by CGC be worth it?

Would you rather have that comic as a PGX 9.0 or GCG 8.5?

In some cases, FOX books have been given higher grades by CGC. In other cases, they have come back lower.

In still others, The book inside a PHD slab turned out to be something other then what the label says.

It's a crapshoot, because it's a company.

I would have it regraded by someone other than PGX just to make sure it is not restored. Personally, I would equate buying a book in a PGX slab to buying a raw book from someone you do not know. What's really inside is anyone's guess.

(thumbs u

CGC 8.0 = CBCS 8.5 = PGX 9.4

Grading goes both ways. Its not fair or accurate to say a book in a different slab will come back from CGC in a lower grade.

I think Peter was saying those three grades are the equivalent in value.

I would have it regraded by someone other than PGX just to make sure it is not restored. Personally, I would equate buying a book in a PGX slab to buying a raw book from someone you do not know. What's really inside is anyone's guess.
I've only bought one PGX book and it came back from CGC as restored. :cry:

From a strictly financial point of view. I'd say sell it immeidately and put the money toward a cgc comic you want. If you regrade by CGC there's too much risk in grade change and/or RESTO.

As people have said, there's too many inconsistencies in PGX (for any number of reasons). Sell the PGX before the next scandal hits.

+1000 on not trusting PGX's resto detection, but in terms of PGX books graded in the 8.0-9.4 neighborhood, there are numerous stories of PGX books coming back higher or even considerably higher after submission to CGC.

Anything below @6.0, and PGX atrociously overgrades, in my experience.

Regardless, the lack of ethics, resto detection, and overall consistency keeps me away from their books. Just like others had said, treat it like a raw book from an unknown source.

+1000 on not trusting PGX's resto detection, but in terms of PGX books graded in the 8.0-9.4 neighborhood, there are numerous stories of PGX books coming back higher or even considerably higher after submission to CGC.

And 98% of the time, it's because they were pressed (and possibly dry-cleaned) prior to sending to CGC. Which is really no different than going the CGC > Joeypost/CCS > CGC route directly.

Every single thread like this has the usual couple of people saying "oh, I sent PGX book A directly to CGC and it came back at a higher grade" as if this somehow proves PGX undergrades in certain grade ranges and there's plenty of golden nuggets to be found hiding inside PGX slabs.

It doesn't - it just further reinforces the fact that it's an absolute *spoon*shot what you're going to find hidden inside their slabs and that in general you'd be much better off simply buying a raw copy that can be fully inspected before purchase.

I just got a large consignment that includes numerous PGX 9.9 books. Maybe I should submit them to CGC and hope they get upgrades to 10.2 :wishluck: