Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction
4 4

174 posts in this topic

11,395 posts

I was just scanning eBay and saw this auction:

Captain America #1 -- cover only

Looks like it will be a fun one to watch! (I am in no way affiliated with this auction.) Within the first hour of its listing, it already leapt up from a $200 starting bid to more than $1,220. Any predictions where it will end?

154615.jpg.a26449aa7295586c4ba91426cf7c0ff3.jpg

11,395 posts

It has already more than doubled in the approximately 15 minutes since I posted the first message.

The seller seems to be somebody who mostly sells old bottles, and the listing says he found it at an estate sale. I wonder what issue of Captain Marvel it is "loosely married" to? Hard to tell from the pictures. (Kinda funny how keyword-spammy his listing is.)

11,700 posts

Now that's a beautiful looking complete and intact cover. Someone who has a complete coverless copy would go all in on this for sure. I know I would.

2,314 posts

Anyone else think the spine interior could be reinforced? It looks much whiter than the rest of the cover.

4,548 posts

The seller seems to be somebody who mostly sells old bottles, and the listing says he found it at an estate sale. I wonder what issue of Captain Marvel it is "loosely married" to? Hard to tell from the pictures. (Kinda funny how keyword-spammy his listing is.)

Sounded kinda fishy with his very expressive use of "Nice!" but he stays consistent in all his posts with bottles and comics. Heck of a find.

7,276 posts

Coverless complete copies aren't easy to find.

23,950 posts

would only wish a tec 27 equivalent would show up.

4,114 posts
Anyone else think the spine interior could be reinforced? It looks much whiter than the rest of the cover.
(thumbs u I thought the same 50/50

3,446 posts

Considering a CGC slabbed, purple label 0.5 recently sold for about $16,000...

I can only imagine how high this will go. It's already over 4K with 6 days, 21 hours left.

23,950 posts

just threw in a 5k tracking bid. Nada.

6,368 posts

That was my first through. Definitely something going on there.

6,368 posts

In my ill-informed opinion it looks like the cover has been completely split and then glued back together.

29,543 posts
In my ill-informed opinion it looks like the cover has been completely split and then glued back together.

Looks that way to me, too.

23,195 posts

Yeah, I would definitely want to communicate with the seller before bidding on this one.

10,530 posts

I just looked at it, enlarged, on a 70" monitor. I don't see this. Someone would have to be some kind of an expert gluer to get it that straight and even, nevermind that you can't actually see any glue, but instead can see the seam of the two halves of the cover. And the seller has provide multiple close up pictures for me not to get the idea he is trying to hide anything. My 2 cents.

-J.