• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction

174 posts in this topic

In my ill-informed opinion it looks like the cover has been completely split and then glued back together.

Looks that way to me, too.

I just looked at it, enlarged, on a 70" monitor. I don't see this. Someone would have to be some kind of an expert gluer to get it that straight and even, nevermind that you can't actually see any glue, but instead can see the seam of the two halves of the cover. And the seller has provide multiple close up pictures for me not to get the idea he is trying to hide anything. My 2 cents.

-J.

Maybe you need a bigger monitor? No one claimed that the seller is trying to hide anything. He doesn't seem to be a comic seller, and may not know what he's looking at.

In my ill-informed opinion it looks like the cover has been completely split and then glued back together.

I just looked at it, enlarged, on a 70" monitor. I don't see this. Someone would have to be some kind of an expert gluer to get it that straight and even, nevermind that you can't actually see any glue, but instead can see the seam of the two halves of the cover. And the seller has provide multiple close up pictures for me not to get the idea he is trying to hide anything. My 2 cents.

-J.

Maybe you need a bigger monitor? No one claimed that the seller is trying to hide anything. He doesn't seem to be a comic seller, and may not know what he's looking at.

But it is fun to raise arguments the other person didn't and then refute them.

-J.

But it is fun to raise arguments the other person didn't and then refute them.

....or, in fact, make your own point and then have someone needlessly mis-characterize it. :baiting:

-J.

-J.

I'm quite sure most people can easily tell whether or not two pieces of paper have been glued together. (shrug)

-J.

-J.

I'm quite sure most people can easily tell whether or not two pieces of paper have been glued together. (shrug)

-J.

Apparently not, because we have three people saying they think it was glued back together and one saying it wasn't.

-J.

-J.

Apparently not, because we have three people saying they think it was glued back together and one saying it wasn't.

And that means that four people have expressed an opinion. Your point ?

-J.

-J.

-J.

I don't think it was glued either.

This is going to be a great buy for someone. Such a great cover

FWIW, I don't think it was glued (too neat) but to my eye it does look like it might have been reinforced with Japan paper or something similar - possibly to stop the split at the bottom migrating further up?

Hard to tell though. hm

Just depends on the size of the pics that are uploaded by the seller. In this case, the pics are not large enough to expand.

I thought it was an option that the seller pays a nominal fee for when they list the item? I might be wrong, as it's been years since I sold anything on ebay.

Just depends on the size of the pics that are uploaded by the seller. In this case, the pics are not large enough to expand.

I thought it was an option that the seller pays a nominal fee for when they list the item? I might be wrong, as it's been years since I sold anything on ebay.

Maybe you need a bigger monitor? lol:baiting:

-J.

Maybe you need a bigger monitor? lol:baiting:

-J.

My monitor is only about 14" :(

I was just scanning eBay and saw this auction:

Captain America #1 -- cover only

Looks like it will be a fun one to watch! (I am in no way affiliated with this auction.) Within the first hour of its listing, it already leapt up from a $200 starting bid to more than $1,220. Any predictions where it will end?

I think his pictures are great. In my opinion nothing is hidden from the would be buyer. In this case I doubt he would be able to detect any restoration, or would suspect it. To me this clearly looks like the spine was split, the outer margins trimmed to square them up, then rice paper or something similar to join the pieces. This looks like an older conservation as it doesn't look like there is any attempt to do any color touch to conceal the repair. I had a Double Action that had a similar conservation around the staples. Bill Sarill had done the work long ago.

To me the questions to ask is how did this cover wrapped around the wrong interior ever find its way into this estate. Are there any other golden age books? How did the cover get conserved and then find its way into the estate? This cover must have quite a back story