• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction

174 posts in this topic

I'll say around $7500 at least.

I wish the pics were bigger.

I can't say for certain, but I don't think its glue.

At least the guy seems to guarantee that it has no restoration. So might be worth tossing a bid and if it does turn out to have some work done, you can always return it, or work something out.

If the offwhite in the spine isn't glue, why does it look so off?

Actually I think Et-Es-Go is right about the restoration he suggests.

From the wording, the seller guarantees no restoration SINCE the estate sale. Not that there's NO restoration on the book.

From the wording, the seller guarantees no restoration SINCE the estate sale. Not that there's NO restoration on the book.

I sent the guy an EBay message and told him in my opinion the spine most definitely appeared conserved with what looks like an older rice paper technique. That said and given the provenance it wouldn't make since for someone to do that unless they also had the book. I suggested investigating further as it stood a reasonable chance that it had not strayed to far.

He insisted the cover has never been touched and did look for its interior. The other books in his listings were also found at the estate sale with this cover. The golden age book was an outlier to all the others. He was late to the sale so who knows what else was there.

I sent the guy an EBay message and told him in my opinion the spine most definitely appeared conserved with what looks like an older rice paper technique. That said and given the provenance it wouldn't make since for someone to do that unless they also had the book. I suggested investigating further as it stood a reasonable chance that it had not strayed to far.

He insisted the cover has never been touched and did look for its interior. The other books in his listings were also found at the estate sale with this cover. The golden age book was an outlier to all the others. He was late to the sale so who knows what else was there.

This situation could be remedied by hiring some sort of professional business to inspect the item and determine if it has been tampered with or altered. Unfortunately I cannot think of any business that provides such a service.

There was a bid for 5k from a 0 rated ebay member. I imagine that if you have multiple offers on an item, it would be "safe" from the seller's perspective to get shill bids in there.

just threw in a 5k tracking bid. Nada.

:whistle:

Peter.

If this was a Detective 27 cover only what you think the price would be. :juggle:

Well...Tec 27 prices seem to about 6x-7x Cap 1 right now, so...60k?

We Detective 27 people think the same. (thumbs u