• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction

174 posts in this topic

$9,375. :banana:

-J.

I am confused. I had you pegged based on your previous posts I've seen as a guy who slams low grade things when they appear for sale in order to discourage interest (and that you fuel any fires in regard to suspected work that might lower the value). Even get annoyed when people bring up an item that you think mightve gone under the radar. Yet with this you were clearly a cheerleader and annoyed when anybody suggested it should go low a/o might have some work on it.

$9,375. :banana:

-J.

I am confused. I had you pegged based on your previous posts I've seen as a guy who slams low grade things when they appear for sale in order to discourage interest (and that you fuel any fires in regard to suspected work that might lower the value). Even get annoyed when people bring up an item that you think mightve gone under the radar. Yet with this you were clearly a cheerleader and annoyed when anybody suggested it should go low a/o might have some work on it.

I think you are reading far more into some of my posts than what is actually there. I'm not a dealer and I don't sell books so I don't care what does or doesn't sell or how much it sells for. As for the cap cover I simply derived an infinitesimal amount of pleasure from being the one who got closest to guessing the final hammer. (thumbs u

-J.

A cover less sold last year to a boardie for 8k and it was missing panels. He bought it for the centerfold

I bought it ($7900 I think). In my mind I definitely overpaid for it, but I NEEDED to get that centerfold.

Maybe the other bidder (or bidders) NEEDED the CF too, which is why it went so high. It was in pretty sorry shape for that price. I had set $5000 for my high bid but once it went over that I got emotionally invested and bit the bullet. Seriously, with the way Cap 1 prices have gone up I simply thought I needed to get the CF now, or I would never be able to.

The cf was the ONLY wrap that was still attached at the spine. Everything else was split. And many pages were missing panels.

I slabbed all of the individual pages that were left and have sold quite a few. I sold a Red Skull page for about $650 I think. I believe by the time I sell all of the pages I may have actually gotten my CF for free.

I think there are many Cap 1 owners who are missing the CF, so Knightsofold is going to have a battle on his hands when the next coverless copy comes up.

Still, congrats Knightsofold, you just won the best Cover of the GA in my opinion.

A cover less sold last year to a boardie for 8k and it was missing panels. He bought it for the centerfold

I bought it ($7900 I think). In my mind I definitely overpaid for it, but I NEEDED to get that centerfold.

Maybe the other bidder (or bidders) NEEDED the CF too, which is why it went so high. It was in pretty sorry shape for that price. I had set $5000 for my high bid but once it went over that I got emotionally invested and bit the bullet. Seriously, with the way Cap 1 prices have gone up I simply thought I needed to get the CF now, or I would never be able to.

The cf was the ONLY wrap that was still attached at the spine. Everything else was split. And many pages were missing panels.

I slabbed all of the individual pages that were left and have sold quite a few. I sold a Red Skull page for about $650 I think. I believe by the time I sell all of the pages I may have actually gotten my CF for free.

I think there are many Cap 1 owners who are missing the CF, so Knightsofold is going to have a battle on his hands when the next coverless copy comes up.

Still, congrats Knightsofold, you just won the best Cover of the GA in my opinion.

I owned a cfo Cap 1 for decades thinking coverless copies would show up at a frequency comparable to other keys, but never saw one. Sold it for a small fraction of what it resold for.

I owned a cfo Cap 1 for decades thinking coverless copies would show up at a frequency comparable to other keys, but never saw one. Sold it for a small fraction of what it resold for.

I bought one at auction in about 2005 and had to sell it to pay medical bills. It was also missing the cfold. I made a good profit at the time so I have no regrets.

The parts game is not easy and requires a LOT of patience.

I am aware of more copies of this booking missing the centerfold then coverless copies by far. Although price on the book have gone nuts I think we have seen them come down a bit in recent auctions. The cover is very nice for a a loose cover and if it isn't restored it's a good part to have, I just wouldn't count on being able to marry it to an interior any time soon.

I had a 1.0 married cover copy that I sold just before things went nuts, Ironically I haven't seen the book come back around. It presented well and is one of my few regrets.

Looking forward to hearing the results when you check out the cover.

James G

I got the cover. It's pretty damn awesome I have to say.

Haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but it's difficult for me to tell if anything is 100% restoration.

I am wondering if there has been trimming on top and/or bottom. It seems a little short compared to most of my other Timelys. Compared to Cap #2 it's close...

I'll take and post some hi res pics tonight before it's off to CGC.

Here are x2 GIANT scans.

HUGE Exterior Front and Back

17138671268_eeb681ce0b_o.jpg

HUGE Interior Front and Back

17300496866_123085f633_o.jpg

Haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but it's difficult for me to tell if anything is 100% restoration.

I am wondering if there has been trimming on top and/or bottom. It seems a little short compared to most of my other Timelys. Compared to Cap #2 it's close...

Here are x2 GIANT scans.

Incredible cover! (thumbs u

Here are x2 GIANT scans.

Wow the colours on that really do pop. I'm still not seeing any restoration on it. It literally looks like the paper simply became worn and weak around the staples and the cover gently detached. As for trimming, check out the captain America 1 club for lots of great pictures of this book. You'll notice that the top and bottom margins vary from copy to copy. Remember this thing was printed in 1940, so printing irregularities were likely common.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8299567&fpart=1

-J.

Here are x2 GIANT scans.

Looks unrestored as long as those tears are not sealed GREAT JOB the hard part is over congrates to a great cover

That big interior scan looks a lot better than the small pic in the eBay auction as far as the spine region goes. I thought it looked like Japan paper in the small pic, but it looks fine here.

Well done. :applause:

You can't compare height from one comic to the next.

Even two copies of the same issue can be different heights.

Doesn't look trimmed to me so far based on what I see.