• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction

174 posts in this topic

You are certainly no slouch at documenting your investment...

I agree with what was said about trimming: It doesn't automatically mean it was trimmed if it is slightly shorter than other issues.

It might be worth grabbing images of other copies of Cap #1 and comparing where they are cut-off at the top, bottom, and right side, just for curiosity's sake -- not to attempt to conclude anything.

It might be worth grabbing images of other copies of Cap #1 and comparing where they are cut-off at the top, bottom, and right side, just for curiosity's sake -- not to attempt to conclude anything.

I just did a quick copy-paste exercise where I grabbed 4 scans of other Cap #1 copies from the Heritage archives, and pasted your Cap #1 cover next to them for comparison. Important to note that I resized your copy's image so it would fit next to the Heritage scan, but that resize is my estimate, not any indication of a real size comparison. (I could have approximated actual size by setting it at half opacity and then fine-tuning the image making the title fit exactly over the other image's title, but that would have taken a long time.) The purpose of these comparisons is so that you can look at the cut-off points of the spacing and images on the top and bottom portions of each cover. Based on a quick analysis, to me it does not appear that your copy of the image was trimmed, because its cut-off points are about the same as for the other 4 copies of Cap #1. For example, your copy's cut-off near Bucky's collar is almost the same as the other copies (a couple of the copies have a tiny amount more of the collar, but a couple don't). At the top, your red-line width is nearly the same as the other images. On the right-hand side, your image of Cap's red foot actually shows a little more of the shoe's sole than most of the other copies. There is still the possibility your copy was microtrimmed at the top or something, but that seems highly unlikely. I think the probability your copy was trimmed is exceedingly low. That is my totally-an-amateur analysis, so it's only worth the pixels it's printed on.

154948.jpg.90cbd4d4a15900a0341c7c8b31bb90d3.jpg

154949.jpg.ecfb50b9b426cca4612b7a2889b67391.jpg

154950.jpg.03153a2df74d9525048d17a5e46df71f.jpg

154951.jpg.96d778dad0fc6c3811a38b4534d9050e.jpg

Curious: Why does Overstreet say that Captain America Comics #1 has the "intro of the 'Capt. America Sentinels of Liberty Club' advertised on inside front cover" when this Cap #1's inside front cover is a Table of Contents? (Or is that just a problem with the way Overstreet worded its description?)

Thanks Vintage. I'm keeping my hopes up.

From a "cover only" perspective I don't think you could have done much better. I'm sure there are more than a few people wishing they had gone a little harder on it now. (thumbs u

-J.

Curious: Why does Overstreet say that Captain America Comics #1 has the "intro of the 'Capt. America Sentinels of Liberty Club' advertised on inside front cover" when this Cap #1's inside front cover is a Table of Contents? (Or is that just a problem with the way Overstreet worded its description?)

Going by the marvel masterworks reprint, the sentinels of liberty ad occurs at the end of the first cap story (it's a half-page ad on the last page of the first cap story.) The inside front cover is exactly what knightsofold's cover shows.

It looks to me like there's a tide line going down either of the spine, and the area inside the tidelines is definitely whiter than outside. I haven't seen enough loose GA covers to know if this is normal or not.

Nice pickup Knight! I'm sure a complete interior copy would be much easier to locate than complete covers especially the ones that are still bound together. Good luck!

+1

Fantastic pickup!

Going by the marvel masterworks reprint, the sentinels of liberty ad occurs at the end of the first cap story (it's a half-page ad on the last page of the first cap story.) The inside front cover is exactly what knightsofold's cover shows.

Thank you for the clarification. It is odd that Overstreet would misstate the contents of the inside front cover for such an important book.

Thank you for the clarification. It is odd that Overstreet would misstate the contents of the inside front cover for such an important book.

Might be a deliberate mistake made for copyright purposes.

Might be a deliberate mistake made for copyright purposes.

Plausible theory there.

Thanks, for all your excellent grading advice, hopeful speculation, and encouragement.

I really appreciate the detail and expertise you all bring to a subject I truly love.

Your kinship and passion helps me have the courage to trust myself and feel like a real

^^

17382012235_8bd9aa4a58_k.jpg

:whee:

Great news :)

I always thought it was interesting CGC notes PQ on covers that are slabbed. I guess they are referencing the inside cover as ow/w...?

Yeppers.