Captain America #1 cover just showed up on eBay auction
4 4

174 posts in this topic

8,716 posts

I'll say around $7500 at least.

I wish the pics were bigger.

I can't say for certain, but I don't think its glue.

At least the guy seems to guarantee that it has no restoration. So might be worth tossing a bid and if it does turn out to have some work done, you can always return it, or work something out.

10,397 posts
In light of the speculation of the condition of the cover, what is the OVER or UNDER on $8000?

$10K.

-J.

2,212 posts
:takeit:OVER Edited by tabcom

2,386 posts

If the offwhite in the spine isn't glue, why does it look so off?

Actually I think Et-Es-Go is right about the restoration he suggests.

From the wording, the seller guarantees no restoration SINCE the estate sale. Not that there's NO restoration on the book.

10,397 posts

"Restoration" or not, that thing is going to have a feeding frenzy of bids in the last 60 seconds. Complete covers of a cap 1 are almost entirely un-seen in any condition.

-J.

345 posts

From the wording, the seller guarantees no restoration SINCE the estate sale. Not that there's NO restoration on the book.

I sent the guy an EBay message and told him in my opinion the spine most definitely appeared conserved with what looks like an older rice paper technique. That said and given the provenance it wouldn't make since for someone to do that unless they also had the book. I suggested investigating further as it stood a reasonable chance that it had not strayed to far.

He insisted the cover has never been touched and did look for its interior. The other books in his listings were also found at the estate sale with this cover. The golden age book was an outlier to all the others. He was late to the sale so who knows what else was there.

11,395 posts

I sent the guy an EBay message and told him in my opinion the spine most definitely appeared conserved with what looks like an older rice paper technique. That said and given the provenance it wouldn't make since for someone to do that unless they also had the book. I suggested investigating further as it stood a reasonable chance that it had not strayed to far.

He insisted the cover has never been touched and did look for its interior. The other books in his listings were also found at the estate sale with this cover. The golden age book was an outlier to all the others. He was late to the sale so who knows what else was there.

This situation could be remedied by hiring some sort of professional business to inspect the item and determine if it has been tampered with or altered. Unfortunately I cannot think of any business that provides such a service.

2,386 posts

There was a bid for 5k from a 0 rated ebay member. I imagine that if you have multiple offers on an item, it would be "safe" from the seller's perspective to get shill bids in there.

23,421 posts

9.3k.

Bidding jumped sharp in the dying seconds as would be expected.

23,421 posts
There was a bid for 5k from a 0 rated ebay member. I imagine that if you have multiple offers on an item, it would be "safe" from the seller's perspective to get shill bids in there.

just threw in a 5k tracking bid. Nada.

:whistle:

3,997 posts

Peter.

If this was a Detective 27 cover only what you think the price would be. :juggle:

2,386 posts

Well, I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

I'll post updates as I get it graded etc. I hope all goes well.

17084105409_d31567d088_b.jpg

2,770 posts

Congratulations on your purchase. Not sure if the price was right but given the sellers feedback I believe you will get what you paid for. Are you marrying it with an interior?

1,996 posts
Well, I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

I'll post updates as I get it graded etc. I hope all goes well.

17084105409_d31567d088_b.jpg

Wow. Nice.

5,008 posts

Assuming it is unrestored I think this was a solid buy. Congrats!

5,008 posts
Peter.

If this was a Detective 27 cover only what you think the price would be. :juggle:

Well...Tec 27 prices seem to about 6x-7x Cap 1 right now, so...60k?

3,997 posts
Peter.

Well...Tec 27 prices seem to about 6x-7x Cap 1 right now, so...60k?

We Detective 27 people think the same. (thumbs u