• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

I had very high expectations heading into the film, and was pleasantly surprised that most of them were met. Very grim film, which was a little surprising since the reshoots were supposed to lighten it a little, can't imagine what the original cut was like.

It delivered the one thing I've been wanting in a Star Wars movie since before the Prequels....a SW movie made for an adult audience.

As for criticisms of the characters being under developed, desperate times make desperate people....I didn't need to see the charred husks of their aunt and uncle to know why each character joined the rebellion or why they were fighting the Empire...that's already well established. The movie itself seemed to follow a chronology that spanned a few days to a week at most...not a lot of "real" time for all the characters to be fleshed out and get to know one another even if there was more screen time to devote to it. Should also mention that Saw Gerrera (Forrest Whitaker's character) is going to be featured in the 2nd half of Star Wars Rebels Season 3 (which takes place roughly five years before a New Hope), and its not inconceivable that Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, or even Bodhi Rook (the imperial pilot who was from Jedha) might also appear. Anyone who watched the Clone Wars will attest to the fact that Anakin Skywalker's character was fleshed out SO much better than in the prequels....a luxury to be sure when you have 5-6 seasons of episodes to work with. In fact, if you are a SW fan, and you haven't watched the Clone Wars or Rebels, you are selling yourself short...all the events are canon, and they do wonders for the development of major characters, not the least of which is Darth Maul, who did not die after being unceremoniously cut in half by Obiwan in the Phantom Menace, but in fact has led a pretty full and active life in the SW universe.

Anyway, the attention to detail was fantastic...lots of connective tissue to a New Hope, from the instrument panels to the vehicles. The fact the the Death Star plans were stored on "tape" back-up was hilarious (and not in a bad way)...the whole movie felt very "analog" and I think it captured the spirt of the original trilogy better than any movie since ROTJ. I found nothing to be distracting or off-putting, even Tarkin's CGI was pretty good....it all worked as intended. The final Act was also memorable, and I'd go back to see it just for that.

As for where it ranks among the other SW movies....somewhere after the the original trilogy (because I'm old and they hold a special place in my heart), but ahead of the Prequels and slightly ahead of the Force Awakens. Love the nod to the Rebel series in the one pre-space battle shot.

I had very high expectations heading into the film, and was pleasantly surprised that most of them were met. Very grim film, which was a little surprising since the reshoots were supposed to lighten it a little, can't imagine what the original cut was like.

It delivered the one thing I've been wanting in a Star Wars movie since before the Prequels....a SW movie made for an adult audience.

As for criticisms of the characters being under developed, desperate times make desperate people....I didn't need to see the charred husks of their aunt and uncle to know why each character joined the rebellion or why they were fighting the Empire...that's already well established. The movie itself seemed to follow a chronology that spanned a few days to a week at most...not a lot of "real" time for all the characters to be fleshed out and get to know one another even if there was more screen time to devote to it. Should also mention that Saw Gerrera (Forrest Whitaker's character) is going to be featured in the 2nd half of Star Wars Rebels Season 3 (which takes place roughly five years before a New Hope), and its not inconceivable that Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, or even Bodhi Rook (the imperial pilot who was from Jedha) might also appear. Anyone who watched the Clone Wars will attest to the fact that Anakin Skywalker's character was fleshed out SO much better than in the prequels....a luxury to be sure when you have 5-6 seasons of episodes to work with. In fact, if you are a SW fan, and you haven't watched the Clone Wars or Rebels, you are selling yourself short...all the events are canon, and they do wonders for the development of major characters, not the least of which is Darth Maul, who did not die after being unceremoniously cut in half by Obiwan in the Phantom Menace, but in fact has led a pretty full and active life in the SW universe.

Anyway, the attention to detail was fantastic...lots of connective tissue to a New Hope, from the instrument panels to the vehicles. The fact the the Death Star plans were stored on "tape" back-up was hilarious (and not in a bad way)...the whole movie felt very "analog" and I think it captured the spirt of the original trilogy better than any movie since ROTJ. I found nothing to be distracting or off-putting, even Tarkin's CGI was pretty good....it all worked as intended. The final Act was also memorable, and I'd go back to see it just for that.

As for where it ranks among the other SW movies....somewhere after the the original trilogy (because I'm old and they hold a special place in my heart), but ahead of the Prequels and slightly ahead of the Force Awakens. Love the nod to the Rebel series in the one pre-space battle shot.

Thanks for saving me some typing as I pretty much echo everything you have said here with emphasis on the bolded part.

For my part, I found the movie to be character driven and the mid movie scene with Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus was amazing! I look forward to seeing this again.

I love reading this board to remember trying to please everyone with entertainment is a fruitless endeavor.

the same movie getting two contrarian positions

" to slow in the beginning" vs "no development, goes right to the action"

"too much fan service" vs "wish there was more reference to the original trilogy"

And I think the "its the same thing over and over again" argument is crazy when lobbed at a franchise. Its a franchise. Its supposed to keep some cohesiveness. There are underlying themes and images and beats that recur. I didnt get a single "we've been here before" feeling during RO, unlike TFA (which was trying to restore a franchise that hadn't had a movie in almost 30 years and I think that was part of why JJ took the approach he did by repeating those original themes and beats)

I wonder how much of this weekend's box-office will be affected because of the winter storm in the Northeast. Because of the extreme cold, the Department of Transportation couldn't treat the roads in my next of the woods as most likely others too, for yesterday's snow event and now we have an ice storm today.

I remember reading* in 2003, a blizzard hit when Daredevil opened and it was considered a factor for it's underwhelming (for the studio) weekend cume (could have been the movie too.)

*Entertainment Weekly

Best SW movie ever. Even better than Empire!!!!

Score: 7/10

I thought the same thing (maybe 2nd to Episode VI) but I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 or better. Loved it and plan on seeing it again next weekend!

The cameo's were great but the real surprise was the CGI cameo at the very end, a very cool final few seconds. Made me want to come right home and watch Episode IV!

After seeing this I want a side-bar/connected movie for Episodes V & VI as well.

I wonder how much of this weekend's box-office will be affected because of the winter storm in the Northeast. Because of the extreme cold, the Department of Transportation couldn't treat the roads in my next of the woods as most likely others too, for yesterday's snow event and now we have an ice storm today.

I remember reading* in 2003, a blizzard hit when Daredevil opened and it was considered a factor for it's underwhelming (for the studio) weekend cume (could have been the movie too.)

*Entertainment Weekly

We went to see it last night at a 9:30 showing. We thought the theater would be close to capacity, but in reality, there was less then 15 people. I did find the 3-D to be a waste, and distracting at times. Would prefer to see it on an IMAX screen next time.

I saw the film twice already once at the Drive In to where I had to leave because the picture was terrible could not make out different shades of colors. The second time I saw it at the regular theater much better picture.

Overall the film was great. Character development, storytelling, and keeping the cheesy one liners to a low. Every character was likeable and you wanted to see more.

The issue I am having with this film is very simple. All the characters grow in some way in this film. I get the feeling as each character is ready to take the next step in their lives. The problem is for most of these cool characters it is a one time appearance. That bothers me like Darth Maul only being in one film.

If I was to rank the films now. I would rank them in this order.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Rogue One A Star Wars Story

3. A New Hope

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Attack of the Clones

7. Force Awakens (Sorry not a fan of watching a rehash of a rehash)

8. Phantom Menace

*Entertainment Weekly

We went to see it last night at a 9:30 showing. We thought the theater would be close to capacity, but in reality, there was less then 15 people. I did find the 3-D to be a waste, and distracting at times. Would prefer to see it on an IMAX screen next time.

The theater I was seeing the film at of it's 18 screens had the film showing simultaneously on 10 screens throughout the day so I am not surprised by that

I saw the film twice already once at the Drive In to where I had to leave because the picture was terrible could not make out different shades of colors. The second time I saw it at the regular theater much better picture.

Overall the film was great. Character development, storytelling, and keeping the cheesy one liners to a low. Every character was likeable and you wanted to see more.

The issue I am having with this film is very simple. All the characters grow in some way in this film. I get the feeling as each character is ready to take the next step in their lives. The problem is for most of these cool characters it is a one time appearance. That bothers me like Darth Maul only being in one film.

If I was to rank the films now. I would rank them in this order.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Rogue One A Star Wars Story

3. A New Hope

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Attack of the Clones

7. Force Awakens (Sorry not a fan of watching a rehash of a rehash)

8. Phantom Menace

Well (shrug) wasn't is perfectly obvious all the characters were....

going to die since they were never mentioned in the following movies. We all talked about how they will all die before this movie started

Edited by NewWorldOrder

They made this a stand along movie and I thought they did an excellent job with. I particulaly really enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the film. It ties together the start of Star Wars and shows Vader at his peak. It was worth it for that.

Yeah, who knew Prowse had that left in him. lol

Different guy in the suit this time... Can't think of his name but he's actually taller than Prowse yet I thought he looked smaller on the screen

Sorry, I was being insensitively sarcastic. :eek:

*Entertainment Weekly

The theater I was seeing the film at of it's 18 screens had the film showing simultaneously on 10 screens throughout the day so I am not surprised by that

Mine too I saw it in the afternoon and it was packed, but the days of not getting a ticket are almost over when a movie theater can just basically switch it whole theater to accommodate it changes things.

That bothers me like Darth Maul only being in one film.

This bothered me for the longest time too....one of the coolest looking villains in the franchise was given a couple of brief lines then sliced in half to (apparently) fall to his demise. It wasn't until someone turned me onto the Clone Wars that I discovered he didn't die, and that his backstory (like the fact he had a brother),relationship with Palpatine, and ongoing ambitions were treated with great thought in both that series and forward into Rebels. As I mentioned before, he had a long and interesting life after Phantom Menace and his role in Star Wars canon isn't done yet. He won't return in the films, but he has proven to be a much more complex villain in the two animated series then he ever was in Episode 1.

That bothers me like Darth Maul only being in one film.

This bothered me for the longest time too....one of the coolest looking villains in the franchise was given a couple of brief lines then sliced in half to (apparently) fall to his demise. It wasn't until someone turned me onto the Clone Wars that I discovered he didn't die, and that his backstory (like the fact he had a brother),relationship with Palpatine, and ongoing ambitions were treated with great thought in both that series and forward into Rebels. As I mentioned before, he had a long and interesting life after Phantom Menace and his role in Star Wars canon isn't done yet. He won't return in the films, but he has proven to be a much more complex villain in the two animated series then he ever was in Episode 1.

Lotsa Maul in Rebels

Just one more note. 1977 released the most epic of all Star Wars films. I was just 10 years old. It was easy to be blown away. Same with Jaws that same year, I still don't go in the deep end of the pool. Now I'm 50 and I just thought Rougue One was a very enjoyable movie. It wasn't epic, but very well done. Much more impressed that that last one they served up.

Just one more note. 1977 released the most epic of all Star Wars films. I was just 10 years old. It was easy to be blown away. Same with Jaws that same year, I still don't go in the deep end of the pool. Now I'm 50 and I just thought Rougue One was a very enjoyable movie. It wasn't epic, but very well done. Much more impressed that that last one they served up.

+1

I was 12 when I saw Star Wars. Rogue one was entertaining.

Jaws was released in the summer of 1975, but that does not mean The film was not in the dollar theater then. As far as not being epic, you are 40 years older now and have seen so many big budget films that most people don't think much about the effects anymore because the amount of big budget films thrown in our face. Story wise this may be the story off the bunch and the outcome is so different than most films we were delivered a really special film. It is just hard for a lot of people to see that.

From my experience I think most of my childhood favorites are hard to surpass because they were the first time I seen such and such, but even I am willing to admit while I hold this films dearly to my heart that better films get made.

I thought it was better than TFA in almost every way. Friend conceded the same.

While it was nice to see Han and Chewbacca on screen again... TFA played out the greatest hits and I felt like I had seen it before. Rogue One is a little slow in the beginning but I walked away from this movie feeling as if I saw a fresh story and not something that had been repeated before.

Agree, loved this movie! TFA was okay but this was a great Star Wars story!

My wife still makes fun of because of my fear of the water. Jaws did a number on me I will never recover from during my life. :eek: