• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

so is it a good movie?

It's a very good movie. By all means see it in the theater.

If ever they packaged Rogue One on Blueray back to back with the original cut of Star Wars, it would become such a ridiculous money maker for Disney. Would love to see a Directors Cut of RO as well.

Me as well!

I thought Kylo Ren was fantastic when I first saw him. The mask, the voice, his awesome abilities: I felt they had created an excellent Sith representation in a similar vein to Darth Vader. Then he took off his helmet and he completely lost all the mojo. It didn't help that he lost the lightsaber fight to some dude who has no training and to a girl who has little to no training. I don't care that he was shot; a Jedi that has the mastery of the force to stop multiple blaster shots has the ability to get passed such a minor injury and take care of business.

Minor injury? They showed how effective Chewbacca's bowcaster rifle was several times in the movie ...

Yea, there's no way you'd ever call it a minor injury. If it were a bullet from a gun, it would be a MAJOR injury to get hit in the shoulder below the collarbone. You'd likely live, but any expectation for continuing to effectively swing a sword is gone. If we are to assume that laser blasts do more damage than bullets, then it should be even worse. Certainly they showed a potentially-fatal amount of blood loss from the amount that was dripping when he stood still for just a few seconds in the snow.

If ever they packaged Rogue One on Blueray back to back with the original cut of Star Wars, it would become such a ridiculous money maker for Disney. Would love to see a Directors Cut of RO as well.

Me as well!

Disney's avoidance of 4K has caused me to boycott their discs for now. I'm not buying now and then again later just to line Bob Iger's pockets an infinitesimal amount more. (tsk)

Bloody marvellous prequel. Borrows well from Seven Samurai, which is an excellent and fitting thing to do given Star Wars' origins. A fantastic band of memorable characters which I will be needing in toy form.

Also, my 8 year old daughter says it is now her favourite film. She came out of it considerably more enthused than when we saw Fantastic Beasts (and she's a big Potter fan) :)

Bloody marvellous prequel. Borrows well from Seven Samurai, which is an excellent and fitting thing to do given Star Wars' origins. A fantastic band of memorable characters which I will be needing in toy form.

Also, my 8 year old daughter says it is now her favourite film. She came out of it considerably more enthused than when we saw Fantastic Beasts (and she's a big Potter fan) :)

:applause:

Spoilers

What did anyone think of Cassian's questionable morality? I recall twice that he deliberately killed friendlies. Early on he executed his companion, presumably because he knew they couldn't both escape. Later he shoots someone about to throw a grenade at the Stormtroopers' vehicle, because the grenade would also have been in Jyn's direction (if I understood that moment correctly).

Later he explains that he has done many terrible things, and that he can only live with himself because he did them for the greater good. So a standard 'ends justify the means' argument.

Is he a hero? I think he was just a man in a bad environment with no higher principles, but his time with Jyn changed him. I think he died a hero, having never been one until then.

I thought Kylo Ren was fantastic when I first saw him. The mask, the voice, his awesome abilities: I felt they had created an excellent Sith representation in a similar vein to Darth Vader. Then he took off his helmet and he completely lost all the mojo. It didn't help that he lost the lightsaber fight to some dude who has no training and to a girl who has little to no training. I don't care that he was shot; a Jedi that has the mastery of the force to stop multiple blaster shots has the ability to get passed such a minor injury and take care of business.

Minor injury? They showed how effective Chewbacca's bowcaster rifle was several times in the movie ...

Yea, there's no way you'd ever call it a minor injury. If it were a bullet from a gun, it would be a MAJOR injury to get hit in the shoulder below the collarbone. You'd likely live, but any expectation for continuing to effectively swing a sword is gone. If we are to assume that laser blasts do more damage than bullets, then it should be even worse. Certainly they showed a potentially-fatal amount of blood loss from the amount that was dripping when he stood still for just a few seconds in the snow.

(shrug)

If it is that bad of a wound then how was he able to do any fighting at all?

I would say it was the force.

(shrug)

If it is that bad of a wound then how was he able to do any fighting at all?

I would say it was the force.

We don't know because they've never made it clear what damage the blaster shots do. In the original films when you took a blaster shot, you just fell over with no apparent damage. When Kenobi shot Grievous multiple times in the chest his organs burst into flame, however that happened. (shrug) At the start of Force Awakens we see blaster shots causing bleeding for the first time when Finn gets blood on his helmet when another stormtrooper who was shot rubs his hand down his face as he dies. Chewbacca takes a shot to the shoulder and they just bandage him up. Kylo takes a shot to the shoulder and you can't see much, but later you see him bleeding in the snow. Just can't tell, but it's clear we're meant to assume he's weakened.

Took my boys, 7 and 11 and wife to see it

All of us enjoyed it, but the boys didn't enthuse as much as with the Force Awakens

They wanted to watch New Hope immediately when they got back

I liked how the Empire bods had 1970s side-burns

It doesn't make sense for Vader to take on grunts as second in command in the Empire no matter how you analyze the situation, but I don't care. I loved seeing him mow through a crowd of people. :cloud9:

this was my favourite bit too! loved it

sheer horror from the rebels getting twatted

Just went to watch it a second time; the theater was nearly full on a Christmas morning showing! It was even better the 2nd time. Such a great story!

You know what truly ties this movie together with A New Hope? The music of John Williams! I do not think that man gets enough credit for the success of the Star Wars universe.

I think the guy who scored Dr. Strange was asked to step in on this one under a deadline and did the music, borrowing heavily from Williams' 'Star Wars' score when the scene fit.

On that topic, the music in 'Rogue One' did nothing for me save when a familiar Williams' theme showed up. I actually give Williams about 40% of the credit that the original 'Star Wars' movies were such a phenomenon. (Lucas gets 50% and the actors 10%.)

Dan

Just went to watch it a second time; the theater was nearly full on a Christmas morning showing! It was even better the 2nd time. Such a great story!

You know what truly ties this movie together with A New Hope? The music of John Williams! I do not think that man gets enough credit for the success of the Star Wars universe.

Doesn't get enough credit?

John Williams is one of a handful of composers you can go up to the average joe and they know his name.

50 Academy Award Nominations with 5 Wins

6 Emmy nominations winning 3

25 Golden Globe Nominations winning 4

66 Grammy nominations winning 22

7 BAFTA awards

Received the Olympic Order medal highest hone the IOC gives

First composer to win the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award

He is the most honored composer in the film business and does get the credit he deserves. To be honest he is the Meryl Streep of composers, if he does a film in a calendar year he will be nominated for it just like Meryl Streep will be nominated for best actress or supporting actress that may stop a deserving party from being nominated because of the Academy's love for this person.

So your argument he does not get enough credit makes no sense

It doesn't make sense for Vader to take on grunts as second in command in the Empire no matter how you analyze the situation, but I don't care. I loved seeing him mow through a crowd of people. :cloud9:

Second in command or third?

I always saw him as a third behind Tarkin...I mean he had enough respect for Tarkin to release Motti when asked. Not sure if he'd do that for anybody.

Jim

The plans are so important that Vader does not want to incur the Emperor's wrath in failing. As the Empire has made clear numerous times, failure is definitely not rewarded. Vader did not want to risk sending stormtroopers to retrieve the plans as they are the single most important thing the Empire has in its toolbelt.