• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

I saw it with a bunch of people tonight well felt kinda the same way.

Just okay. (shrug)

Not even close to TFA.

The Vader scenes were cool, but my god Disney IMO fell so short with using Vader. He was barely in it, and even though he was mentioned there was no scenes with the Emperor. Disney had a golden opportunity here to use more of Vader and they didn't. The film has amazing visuals, but the supporting cast was forgettable. I dont want to say this but I have zero desire to see this again in the Theaters and I saw TFA 4 times. I am pretty disappointed.

I agree with you 250%!

I was kind of let down. SW movies are suppose to be fun, which makes them 100% re-watchable.

This was kind of flat and even though it had some good parts and tons of edge cutting technology it just seemed bleech overall!

They missed the title on this one it should've been "Rogue One and Done"

Here's how I rate the SW franchise (in the order they were released):

EP IV: 9.5 out of 10 (A True Classic)

EP V: 10 out of 10 (One of the best Sequels of All Time!)

EP VI: 8.5 out of 10 (Great start and finish, Ewoks took the wind out of it)

EP I: 5 out of 10 (some merit in pod race and final Maul battle)

EP II: 4 out of 10 (Barely any merit in the Jango Obi-Wan battle)

EP III: 6 out of 10 (A nice space saga that was almost killed by the wooden Anakin)

EPVII: 8 out of 10 (a nice breath of fresh air to the franchise)

SW Rogue One: 6 out of 10 (seemed like a bland cake with EP IV icing on it, this would've ranked even lower if it weren't for the performance of Jones and the Tudyk in the robot K-2SO and the break free originality from the norm). There is just so much that could've been done with this movie with this much freedom and darkness. Vader was just a cameo? No Bounty Hunters? The rebels seemed more like a terrorist group - Which is more to real life, but Star Wars was always an escape from real life and this film seemed like a real war in the stars.

I agree, I loved the Vader scene. The rebels were terrified as they should be. Very well done.

I think Rogue One had a great story, my only request is to see more character development so that when they make the ultimate sacrifice it has more meaning.

An example is Saw Gerrera. Other than a small scene showing him opening the hatch to find Jin, and later some weird scene with some weird tentacles ( which I thought was awful ) his character was not shown or developed at all. His death is meaningless to me, like so many other characters in the movie. We are told he is important, I want to be shown. Lets see some film time of him training Jin, some relationship between them instead of countless blaster scenes and ships flying around.

I was trying to pinpoint something that was "missing." I saw it again this past weekend, when I took my nephew, and I figured it out. There were some contextual questions that I would have appreciated a little more in-depth explanation. . . we got enough that the story made sense, but I found that the story became more interesting to me when I came home and did some reading on Jedah, on kyber crystals, Galen Erso, and Krennic, I actually liked the movie more.

Just okay. (shrug)

Not even close to TFA.

The Vader scenes were cool, but my god Disney IMO fell so short with using Vader. He was barely in it, and even though he was mentioned there was no scenes with the Emperor. Disney had a golden opportunity here to use more of Vader and they didn't. The film has amazing visuals, but the supporting cast was forgettable. I dont want to say this but I have zero desire to see this again in the Theaters and I saw TFA 4 times. I am pretty disappointed.

I agree with you 250%!

I was kind of let down. SW movies are suppose to be fun, which makes them 100% re-watchable.

This was kind of flat and even though it had some good parts and tons of edge cutting technology it just seemed bleech overall!

EP III: 6 out of 10 (A nice space saga that was almost killed by the wooden Anakin)

SW Rogue One: 6 out of 10 (seemed like a bland cake with EP IV icing on it, this would've ranked even lower if it weren't for the performance of Jones and the Tudyk in the robot K-2SO and the break free originality from the norm). There is just so much that could've been done with this movie with this much freedom and darkness. Vader was just a cameo? No Bounty Hunters? The rebels seemed more like a terrorist group - Which is more to real life, but Star Wars was always an escape from real life and this film seemed like a real war in the stars.

The Rebels are a terrorist group. They're a group of armed resistance fighters in open rebellion against the legitimate galactic government.

Ranking to me is how it impacts the overall story. I have repeatedly stated why I did not like the Force Awakens since the second viewing. I will save everyone the earful. Rogue One paints the original trilogy into a new light and created a more cohesive storyline to tell the truth. It really felt more like the first half of Episode IV and makes Episode IV that much more of a better movie in my opinion.

My current ranking reevaluated after Rogue One:

Star Wars: Episode: IV - A New Hope

Star Wars: Episode: V - The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Star Wars: Episode: VI: Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: Episode: III - Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: Episode: II - Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Episode: I - The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Prior to Rogue One:

Just one more note. 1977 released the most epic of all Star Wars films. I was just 10 years old. It was easy to be blown away. Same with Jaws that same year, I still don't go in the deep end of the pool. Now I'm 50 and I just thought Rougue One was a very enjoyable movie. It wasn't epic, but very well done. Much more impressed that that last one they served up.

Not to bring up the member berries (South Park reference), but yeah, that was a very special time in my life too. And let's not forget about the comics...

Buzzetta, my ranking is similar as well. I loved the fact that it was an adult-like version of a Star Wars movie---and they took risks. Yes there were some problems with character development and pacing but I forgave that for the risks they took. I for one appreciated it after the copy/paste debacle of Force Awakens.

Ranking to me is how it impacts the overall story. I have repeatedly stated why I did not like the Force Awakens since the second viewing. I will save everyone the earful. Rogue One paints the original trilogy into a new light and created a more cohesive storyline to tell the truth. It really felt more like the first half of Episode IV and makes Episode IV that much more of a better movie in my opinion.

Putting The Force Awakens below anything with JarJar Binks in it makes yousa lose all credibility...

Putting The Force Awakens below anything with JarJar Binks in it makes yousa lose all credibility...

You do know JarJarBinks was in Rogue One if you were looking you would have spotted him. Force Awakens was just a remake of A New Hope and a bad one at that. It's filming choices for Force Awakens that kills me Black Ships in outer space you can't see them I placed the film just ahead of Phantom Menace but second to last place

Rogue One was a war movie instead of a Swashbuckling Adventure Movie. It was mostly a "capture the flag" exercise. I think it had some neat elements in it, like a long overdue explanation of how the weakness was engineered into the Death Star. Honestly, when I watched Episode IV back in '77, I had a problem with how volatile Death Stars were. I mean, I was 12 years old, and literally thought to myself, "how could they engineer such a major flaw into the Death Star"?...That's worse than a Ford Pinto! I got my answer in this movie, though I don't understand why the second death star was ready to explode, unless maybe it was built from some of the same plans. :) As an aside, I can't help but feel that the Empire would have never fallen if they would have spent their resources developing a larger fleet instead of death stars. :)

I really liked how this movie gave you a flavor for day to day life under Empire rule. The big cruisers flying through oxygen atmosphere, storm troopers on every street corner and dissent in the street. I guess I'm saying that the setting was really good, but it was hard to fall in love with the characters. If they had put 10 minutes more into character development, it would have been a much stronger movie but the grief factor would be off the charts when you walked out of the theater. Maybe it's better that I didn't have the opportunity to grow attached to them.

You do know JarJarBinks was in Rogue One if you were looking you would have spotted him. Force Awakens was just a remake of A New Hope and a bad one at that. It's filming choices for Force Awakens that kills me Black Ships in outer space you can't see them I placed the film just ahead of Phantom Menace but second to last place

Has that been confirmed as anything other than a fan photoshop?

Has that been confirmed as anything other than a fan photoshop?

It has to be fan fiction. Reason being I am not in jail for causing a disturbance at the theater by throwing my drink at the screen and breaking into the projection room to burn the tape

Saw it tonight. Kind of slow in the first two thirds. I enjoyed the battles and Vader, but didn't really feel much for the characters... and still don't feel fooled by CGI actors ... yet. Wonder if and how families will get residuals in the future field of artificial actors based on likenesses of real actors.

Didn't really see JarJar anywhere, but did see a young wookie piloting an x-wing in the battle.

Rogue One was a war movie instead of a Swashbuckling Adventure Movie. It was mostly a "capture the flag" exercise. I think it had some neat elements in it, like a long overdue explanation of how the weakness was engineered into the Death Star. Honestly, when I watched Episode IV back in '77, I had a problem with how volatile Death Stars were. I mean, I was 12 years old, and literally thought to myself, "how could they engineer such a major flaw into the Death Star"?...That's worse than a Ford Pinto! I got my answer in this movie, though I don't understand why the second death star was ready to explode, unless maybe it was built from some of the same plans. :) As an aside, I can't help but feel that the Empire would have never fallen if they would have spent their resources developing a larger fleet instead of death stars. :)

I really liked how this movie gave you a flavor for day to day life under Empire rule. The big cruisers flying through oxygen atmosphere, storm troopers on every street corner and dissent in the street. I guess I'm saying that the setting was really good, but it was hard to fall in love with the characters. If they had put 10 minutes more into character development, it would have been a much stronger movie but the grief factor would be off the charts when you walked out of the theater. Maybe it's better that I didn't have the opportunity to grow attached to them.

Agree with you on all counts. You bring up a very valid point that I had not considered: perhaps it is by intent that they didn't spend more time on the characters.

Nah...

JJ even admits that they took the best elements from the original trilogy and wove a plot around it for the Force Awakens. At least Lucas tried something new to tie it into the original trilogy. On top of that, I have always maintained that Sith was a VERY good movie. The first time I saw TFA I walked out of the theater amazed and in awe. Then I went with another group of people to see it and I was shattered. It did not hold up to me on a second viewing. I started watching it again and turned it off simply going meh

To be honest, unless Episode VIII is a dramatic improvement, I would not even consider it part of my personal SW cannon.

If binge watching, I would g 1,2,3,Rogue One, 4,5,6

Just okay. (shrug)

Not even close to TFA.

I agree with you 250%!

The Rebels are a terrorist group. They're a group of armed resistance fighters in open rebellion against the legitimate galactic government.

Yes, I understand that. But the other films really didn't focus on that realistic tone.

Almost like storm troopers couldn't hit anything in Episode IV–VI so how come they are sharp shooters now? Is there going to be another movie that's sole purpose is to explain this - Like Vader knew all along that Luke and Leia were his off-spring and released a galaxy wide direct order to purposely shoot all around them just to scare them to the dark side...

Rogue Two : Vader's Watching you!

Interesting how mixed responses are to the film. I thought it was the best thing since Empire, and that is saying a lot. Great War movie and I'm glad Disney didn't pull punches like I was worried they would.

I'm excited to see it again.

My opinion is that there hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

I am seeing Rogue One this evening. After seeing The Force Awakens ( which I hated/ was just a remake ) I have very low expectations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jedi, it's just not as good as Empire, you can't really say it's not a good SW movie, can you?

Jim

Is an opinion. I disliked Return of the Jedi. I thought it was absolutely ludicrous that a rag tag bunch of midgets using spears and rocks can help defeat the Empire. It was cheesy to me.

Yeah and now after this movie that makes this storyline even more ridiculous!

Mainly because...

The Empire have already lost so much, do they never have a lessons learned meeting???

Why do they constantly underestimate the rebels? You would think that if there was a shield generator on Endor that this would be one of the most heavily guarded places in the universe with so many ground forces that it would take a decades long war just to get close to it. And now with this serious movie of badassed empire troops that makes it stick out big time!

:-P