• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

I saw it with a bunch of people tonight well felt kinda the same way.

Just okay. (shrug)

Not even close to TFA.

The Vader scenes were cool, but my god Disney IMO fell so short with using Vader. He was barely in it, and even though he was mentioned there was no scenes with the Emperor. Disney had a golden opportunity here to use more of Vader and they didn't. The film has amazing visuals, but the supporting cast was forgettable. I dont want to say this but I have zero desire to see this again in the Theaters and I saw TFA 4 times. I am pretty disappointed.

I agree with you 250%!

I was kind of let down. SW movies are suppose to be fun, which makes them 100% re-watchable.

This was kind of flat and even though it had some good parts and tons of edge cutting technology it just seemed bleech overall!

They missed the title on this one it should've been "Rogue One and Done"

Here's how I rate the SW franchise (in the order they were released):

EP IV: 9.5 out of 10 (A True Classic)

EP V: 10 out of 10 (One of the best Sequels of All Time!)

EP VI: 8.5 out of 10 (Great start and finish, Ewoks took the wind out of it)

EP I: 5 out of 10 (some merit in pod race and final Maul battle)

EP II: 4 out of 10 (Barely any merit in the Jango Obi-Wan battle)

EP III: 6 out of 10 (A nice space saga that was almost killed by the wooden Anakin)

EPVII: 8 out of 10 (a nice breath of fresh air to the franchise)

SW Rogue One: 6 out of 10 (seemed like a bland cake with EP IV icing on it, this would've ranked even lower if it weren't for the performance of Jones and the Tudyk in the robot K-2SO and the break free originality from the norm). There is just so much that could've been done with this movie with this much freedom and darkness. Vader was just a cameo? No Bounty Hunters? The rebels seemed more like a terrorist group - Which is more to real life, but Star Wars was always an escape from real life and this film seemed like a real war in the stars.

The Rebels are a terrorist group. They're a group of armed resistance fighters in open rebellion against the legitimate galactic government.

Terrorist groups purposely target civilians. This is a common misunderstanding.

The rebels did not purposely target civilians,

It looks like Rogue One will be number 2 or 3 for the year by the end of this coming weekend. It is a given it will finish as the top movie for the year. The question now is, how high does it go?

2016 definitely has brought some cinema records. But it was Disney that experienced more than one huge hit this year.

j86XVxl.png

Rogue One was the best genre film of the year and a better movie than Force Awakens.

Dr Strange was the weakest.

This

Hated Dr strange aka master of kung fu

I also thought Rogue One was better than Force Awakens. FA was so bogged down by the legacy of Luke/Leia/Han. FA had to corkscrew into A New Hope but was a blank slate so it did really well for that.

Thought CGI Tarkin looked good but CGI Leia pretty cartoony.

This. My first thought was Wow, that guy has held up really well. Then it occurred to me he's probably dead lol

Leia was just terrible. They should have just kept her backside.

Happy New Year fellow boardies. Leia was not done with CGI. I thought it was pretty obvious that wasn't Carrie Fisher. I just looked it up & the actress that played Leia in RO is Ingvild Deila.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6488665/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t24

They certainly should have used CGI though, cause there was absolutely no resemblance.

I stand corrected. I just read the Leia's face was done using CGI but I felt it looked nothing like her.

Edited by chezmtghut

They did use CGI...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/27/14092060/rogue-one-star-wars-grand-moff-tarkin-princess-leia

But it sounds like a digital recreation was always the plan for Leia — even if it seems like a simple shot of the character from behind, with Deila in the iconic costume and hair buns that Fisher wore in A New Hope, would have been enough.

She looked like a freaking cartoon. Tarkin was done so much better.

Thought CGI Tarkin looked good but CGI Leia pretty cartoony.

This. My first thought was Wow, that guy has held up really well. Then it occurred to me he's probably dead lol

Leia was just terrible. They should have just kept her backside.

Peter Cushing said at least once in an interview that he really enjoyed being in Star Wars and was disappointed that he could never reprise the role since his character was killed. Great that he finally had the chance in this movie to do that via CGI.

I just got back from the theater not all that long ago and I really enjoyed this movie. I may have liked it more than Force Awakens.

That end scene with a certain man in black...Awesome.

As for the CGI, Tarkin was less 'obvious' to me than Leia but I wonder if the fact that Tarkins secenes were in black/darker scenes and Leia's were in the bright white surroundings made the CGI less 'realistic'?

Regardless, after her passing, it was nice to see her on the big screen again. Give it a few years when the technology improves and they remaster it and you won't be able to tell at all...

Anyway, two thumbs up for me!

I finally saw it last night. It lacked a lot of the SW magic for me. But the last third of the movie was really nice as it led up to the start of "A New Hope"

The CG Leah didn't look great to me, but I didn't care because it was a very poignant moment with CF's passing. Tarkin's CG looked surprisingly good to me. My wife didn't know he was CG.

I really liked the blind guy & his friend. They could probably do a spinoff movie just on those 2.

Edited by gadzukes

Loved the movie!

Great energy, esp. in the 2nd half, and the whole thing really captured at least some of the primal, rag-tag, thrill-a-minute feel of "A New Hope". Characters were briefly sketched, it's true, but still memorable. And for all this talk about a "darker tone", it was unexpectedly funny in places.

On the other hand, the CGI resurrections, particularly Leia, didn't work for me either -- too waxworks. But I agree that the Leia appearance was, unintentionally, a nice tribute to Carrie Fisher.

I'm wondering if Fisher's daughter could have pulled it off, maybe with a combination of makeup, lighting, and some CGI re-touching...?

star-wars-lourde-fix-435.jpg

NEddnDRinD3Mgj_2_a.jpg

BOX OFFICE: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Now Sits At $790M Worldwide

darth_vader_rogue_one_box_office.jpg

The Disney Studios marketing team has revealed that the four-day Holiday Weekend will see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story accumulate another $110.1 million globally, taking its worldwide total to a staggering $790 million. This comes after just a little over 2 weeks of release in the U.S. and a forthcoming release in the world's #2 box office market, China.

As previously reported, Rogue One is now the #2 domestic film of 2016, surpassing Captain America: Civil War. Internationally, Rogue One has now earned $350 million and finishes 2016 at #7 on the worldwide box office gross chart, just surpassing the $783.1 million earned by Deadpool.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will be released in China on January 6.

I saw it today.

In the first five minutes I was annoyed. The mom takes the necklace and wraps it around her daughters neck and ( ties ? ) it on in like 5 seconds.

It should have been already tied and put around her neck. Bothered me the whole movie lol

-- I liked TFA better. More fun monsters and characters. But this movie had its moments. It's not bad at all. It just wasn't as fun.

I'll buy it when it comes out for sure though.