• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think there is a Mile High Church like collection still out there?

130 posts in this topic

We will definitely see some more large OO SA collections if you think about some of the pedigrees unearthed in the last 20 years we have had the Curators, Pacific coast and Oakland plus others. I see no reason why more would not surface.

I also would not be surprised for some smaller Allentown like collections which have been locked in storage lockers or trunks for decades to surface.

Yes, it will be found again.

Too many rich billionaires in New England with nothing better to do but horde tec 31.

I know a guy that has 5 copies of 31 in VF condition, who is only trading for specific Egyptian artifacts from KMT era.

I know it sounds crazy, but its the world we live in.

It doesn't matter how many billions you have, if 9.6 copies of Tec #31 don't exist.

Honestly the real surprise is that there was even one collection as good and as complete as the Church that surfaced.

The best case scenario is another San Francisco, another Allentown, another Crippen. Something with killer condition or killer breadth (crippen) but not both.

Honestly the real surprise is that there was even one collection as good and as complete as the Church that surfaced.

The best case scenario is another San Francisco, another Allentown, another Crippen. Something with killer condition or killer breadth (crippen) but not both.

the reason he had what he had, and that he kept it, are both unique enough, that I doubt it is ever seen again. What I think will be seen and occur is when unknown big time collectors from the early days of the hobby, pass on.

Collections of size and depth, that the hobby isnt aware of because they were amassed early on and have remained completely private. I imagine there are quite a few substantial high quality collections that have been assembled post 1970, that no one is aware of, that have lots of Golden Age gems.

Every time I drive by what is obviously an old house, I wonder what might be hidden in the attic or basement.

(thumbs u

never say never,

there could be the next Church collection, in the old house you drove by yesterday,

I think there are more out there, some never to see the light of day,

B

That's a good point. There are still a lot of people out there that would just throw stuff out without giving a second thought (or a first thought) to the idea that it's worth money.

I find this hard to believe; not in this day and age with google and storage wars and the like. Maybe the odd person living under a rock doesn't realize that old stuff might be worth money, but it's not the '70s anymore.

Can those of you who think such a repeat collection will be found, can you please explain your reasoning why? I'd be curious to know why you believe this, what your reasoning is.

The hope of discovering what is essentially a winning lotto ticket springs eternal.

Too many rich billionaires in New England with nothing better to do but horde tec 31.

I know a guy that has 5 copies of 31 in VF condition, who is only trading for specific Egyptian artifacts from KMT era.

It doesn't matter how many billions you have, if 9.6 copies of Tec #31 don't exist.

Just thinking about a 9.6 copy of Tec #31 gives me the warm tinglies.

I am such a bat nerd.

I think this is the idea behind the thought there might be another - if the Church collection hadn't been found, and someone now was talking about a mythical collection of that sort, most folks would find the idea just as unlikely as the idea of another is now. The existence of the one suggests the POSSIBILITY of another.

Not that I agree with that, I think it is highly unlikely, close to impossible.

I am such a bat nerd.

I have 9 of them in that grade.... but only 6 have white pages. Money wouldn't be enough to make me part with them. I was offered the Hope Diamond once, but turned down the offer. Gems bore me. I enjoy rolling around with them on my albino tiger skin rug.... in front of a roaring fire. :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am such a bat nerd.

I have 9 of them in that grade.... but only 6 have white pages.

I have a 3 ft stack that my daughter uses to color with her crayons.

Every time I drive by what is obviously an old house, I wonder what might be hidden in the attic or basement.

(thumbs u

never say never,

there could be the next Church collection, in the old house you drove by yesterday,

B

That's a good point. There are still a lot of people out there that would just throw stuff out without giving a second thought (or a first thought) to the idea that it's worth money.

I find this hard to believe; not in this day and age with google and storage wars and the like. Maybe the odd person living under a rock doesn't realize that old stuff might be worth money, but it's not the '70s anymore.

People throw away valuable things every day. Every single day. Sometimes its ignorance, sometimes not.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

never say never,

B

I could believe it.

A lot of people don`t really know about those shows or are cutting cable.

My 70 year old father has an HDTV,but uses the HD antenna. He never heard of Storage Wars, and that`s just him. My mother and my uncles never watch reality shows.

Mostly people think any comic is VALUABLE

Many times someone approached me with an OLD COMIC they thought must be worth BIG BUCKS-because it was from 1992 and was in those PLASTIC SLEEVE THINGIES

Taking a snapshot of the Church collection, it was a highly unlikely find. It is the stuff that a comic collectors dreams are made of. I wish there were but he conditions that created that collection just cannot be recreated.

I think there is no way that a collection of comics like that will be found again. There was a sort of collectibles explosion ,maybe starting in the 80's or so when everybody started looking at things as collectibles."What's it going to be worth someday" became the prevailing mentality. A lot of unearthing went on. People became afraid to throw things away. A lot of what people held on to was junk.

Sure if you ask me I believe there will be one off rare finds; discoveries from time to time that are very valuable but nothing of that magnitude ;even if someone tried to consciously assemble it to be as such.

Can those of you who think such a repeat collection will be found, can you please explain your reasoning why? I'd be curious to know why you believe this, what your reasoning is.

Someone private, rich and famous might still have a semi- Church type OO collection and if they are rich we won't ever know after they pass away because their heirs are rich too and they will just keep the collection for themselves.....

Maybe Jerry Lewis has an unbelievable original comic collection, ???

Taking a snapshot of the Church collection, it was a highly unlikely find. It is the stuff that a comic collectors dreams are made of. I wish there were but he conditions that created that collection just cannot be recreated.

I think there is no way that a collection of comics like that will be found again. There was a sort of collectibles explosion ,maybe starting in the 80's or so when everybody started looking at things as collectibles."What's it going to be worth someday" became the prevailing mentality. A lot of unearthing went on. People became afraid to throw things away. A lot of what people held on to was junk.

Sure if you ask me I believe there will be one off rare finds; discoveries from time to time that are very valuable but nothing of that magnitude ;even if someone tried to consciously assemble it to be as such.

Those words "taking a snapshot"..... ugh

Of all the things Chuck didn't do that I wish he had is taking photos of the books as they sit where Church had stored them. I know there are some of when he got them back to his house. But seeing how they were actually stacked and the volume would have been incredible to view.

Polaroid would have been perfect for the times. :)

Polaroid_Logo_TV_1979.jpg

The answer to the question posed by the thread is "no."

The collection was too large, and too well preserved, to be sitting around still a couple of generations after the fact.

However....

There are plenty of 2nd and 3rd generation collectors who assembled these collections as back issues (like Bang Zoom), that have about as much scope as the Church collection...but not anywhere near the level of preservation, having been unable to buy the books brand new.

There are many, many more such collections out there, assembled by those who are in their 60's, 70's, and 80's, that will eventually come to market.

It's important to remember that, for many of these guys, "how much are they worth?" just isn't a consideration. Collectors being collectors, they are happy to own the item, rather than the cash they could trade it for.

If someone paid $100 for a decent mid-grade Tec #27 in 1965...an astonishing sum for a comic book, no doubt, but still relatively little in the greater scheme...they probably don't care that it's worth 3/4 of a million dollars now, other than for insurance purposes.

And they for damn sure aren't about to share information about what they have, to invite unwanted attention.

We shall see.

We know of one. I haven't seen it but my partner has and I absolutely believe him. The owner and his brother bought these books off the stands and kept them in high grade. Don't pm me please, I don't know where he lives and he isn't interested in selling. Detective 28 up, Batman 1 up, Timelys, DCs, god knows what else. My partner only viewed a couple boxes but there's 10 or more boxes

Probably not the size of the Mile High collection but this collection is worth millions and it's 'undiscovered'.

People wacky enough to make bomb shelters weren't stocking them with comics-which would be worthless after the apocalypse-they were stocking them with food.

As for the ten boxes of GA I would need more info-these guys would have to be wealthy-and very old- to not be interested in selling. And they were avid collectors but no one's heard of them-it sounds apocryphal to me

I think this is the idea behind the thought there might be another - if the Church collection hadn't been found, and someone now was talking about a mythical collection of that sort, most folks would find the idea just as unlikely as the idea of another is now. The existence of the one suggests the POSSIBILITY of another.

Not that I agree with that, I think it is highly unlikely, close to impossible.

The problem with that line of thinking is, it's been nearly 40 years since then. If such a collection existed, intact, it would most likely have had to have been found during, or shortly after, the life of the one who assembled it. That the Church collection existed opened the door to other such collections existing...while there was still time for them to exist. And, to be sure, similar collections WERE found in the late 70's/80's/90's/00's, but they were either of much smaller scale, or much worse condition, or both.

By now, however, any such collections...indeed, if they ever existed...would be in the hands of someone beyond the ability to care for it (in their 100s), or in the hands of their heirs, who may likely not have cared for it, or long since quietly (and anonymously) dispersed, or thrown out. The chances that such a collection would pass down, not only to a next generation, intact, but perhaps even a third generation at this point, are so astronomical as to be a statistical impossibility.

The Church collection was a complete aberration, a total freak of happenstance. The conditions of such a collection still being around are the issue, not the possibility.

I'm afraid that that door has, unfortunately, closed behind us forever.

What is not only possible, but certainly DOES exist are 2nd and 3rd (and 4th and so on) generation collectors, who assembled fabulous collections 10-20-30-40 years after the fact, and have, themselves, maintained them, and are now in their 60's-80's. Those collections DO exist, and are out there, and they are wonderful...many of whom contain many books from the Church collection itself. We will see dazzling, amazing collections come to market within out lifetimes, that contain complete runs of most GA material, all well preserved and breathtaking in their scope.

But something like the Church collection, put together under the same conditions? No, time has, unfortunately, moved us past even that possibility.